Using other art for reference and not giving credit?

Is that against dA's rules? I know it's pretty rude. The pictures looks almost exactly the same except for hair color, shadows, and the fact the copy cat version isn't very good. And she makes herself sound sooo great for coming up with the pose and everything...And she's making money from it! :ohmygod:

When I tried talking to her about it, she blocked me. :roll:

Anyways, I felt like I had to tell someone. Rant over.
Comments28
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Please refer to this thread if you need help. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
You can use just about anything as a reference, but keep in mind that there is a difference between a reference and tracing. Meanwhile, I think the term you looking for is TRACING.
DA isn't going to do shit even if you did report it, as traced works are allowed, and you aren't even an affected party.

Now that thats out of the way, here, have some art.

It's illegal.
Really? You're going with rude?

Let's put this in perspective then. It's not just rude, it's against policy, it's not just against policy, it's technically intellectual property infringement and is akin to theft and is also illegal.

So I'd say it's slightly more than rude.

That being said, this isn't the place to be posting about it, because we don't give a shit. That's between the artist whose work is being stolen, the thief, and the help desk. Or between you and the report button. But not here. And of course the person stealing work blocked you dumbass. Just report it and move the fuck on. In all honesty, unless the owner of the original art work files an offical DMCA report with DA then it may or may not be resolved after a very long period of time. But then again such is the risk of posting your work on the internet.

And fucking watermarks damnit, it's their own fault if they didn't.
Naughty naughty!
that doesn't count as referencing when it looks almost identical, that's just flat out copying.
Almost as annoying as that, is trying to find a reference and not being able to.

I was trying to find a simple image of a Grand Piano, just at a specific angle. I had to sort through mislabeled Upright/Vertical Pianos, a bunch of models standing in the way of pianos, and tons of pictures of just the piano keys :stare:
When I finally find something, the reference picture cuts off part of the top or bottom of the piano, or the quality is so bad that I can't see even obvious details. :facepalm:

It shouldn't be this difficult!
Typically if someone puts up something that can be used as a guide, like a stock photo or anatomy tutorial, the person who put it up requests that using their work requires a link back to the reference (this is usually the case, but not always). This is to prevent misuse or theft, and also allows it to spread so that it may be used by other people. If this is not the situation, and somebody just traced over another person's picture, then that's not cool. If you're the original artist, you can speak to the person directly or rally support to resolve the situation. If it's someone else's work being infringed, the best you can do is speak to them about it and let them handle the situation. Really, it shows a lack of courtesy and common sense when people don't follow basic guidelines.
Oh God, finally another decent answer :)
I'll take that as a compliment, but before someone else says it, Complaints is not a substitute for the Help Desk. Any issues you have on dA should be taken up with them. But I guess people not using common sense and everyone else's reaction to their stupidity is worth complaining about.
I know, but I wasn't sure exactly what to say if I reported them.
dA, I think, doesn't actually have policies regarding traced artwork since that requires some personal effort to create, and instead deal with artwork that is literally stolen from someone else. However, you could say that the person has used the artwork in a form that the original artist has not consented to. Like I said, probably your best shot is to contact the original and let them deal with it.
Typically, referencing a pose is not disallowed, though giving credit to your reference is common courtesy. But from the sounds of it, the 'thief' in question may have traced without permission, which I'm pretty sure is not allowed.

I'd confront them on it, especially since they're taking credit and making money. If you're not the one being copied, contact the person who is and they can handle it.

c:
"When I tried talking to her about it, she blocked me."
Oh sorry, didn't catch that part.
No problem, I am very nice and helpful. :la:
And that scares me. :iconimhorrifiedplz:
Well, since they blocked you, just report it. Sorry, didn't read that til it got pointed out to me x)
By that very nice person, huh?
That's right xD
That was very entertaining.
:iconsaysplz:THEY BE STEALIN'
:iconsaysplz:MY ANA-TUMMY!!!11!