Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 221

Get with the times, Nintendo.

:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
TL;DR: Nintendo has yet to grasp the concept of the sale/lowering prices during the lifetime of a system.

Currently, Nintendo is trying to hawk Myst on the 3DS for 30 USD.

Currently, GOG is having a massive sale where you could buy Myst, Riven, and Real Myst for 12 USD.

Nintendo. You're making it hard for me to continue liking you.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
I'll be brutally honest.
I fucking love the 3DS XL I have, and I'm flipping shit about Monster Hunter coming soon, but this "HUGE" library of amazing games aren't as amazing as the Fanboys say it is.
I can only take so much freakin' Mario/Luigi/Link/Pokemon time after time again. One thing about Nintendo that always got to me, next to what you're talking about.
It would be nice to see them stray a little into uncharted territory. Maybe some new IPs.
The majority of the games I see for the DS are geared towards children :(
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
They've made new IP plenty of times but we sweep them aside or the bad marketing kicks in, killing their chances of being seen. Remember what happened to Earthbound? At least it was marketed. Improperly, but we know of it!
:iconmcdenis09:
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
By, "Get with the times" I think that you mean they should stop with any type of game they're making, and just make FPS's forever.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
No, I loathe FPS.
:iconsauti-alamisi:
Sauti-Alamisi Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
First, the 3DS was 300+ USD.

Then after a few weeks, it was a low 200 USD.

Then near my last birthday it came out, it was like 180 USD. I then got my own for my B-day for that money.

I don't know about it, but I think Nintendo can't pick a straight cost. :lol:
I've already got two of the things, I don't care about system cost. Its just when everyone else has massive sales, Nintendo is being stingy and never lowering the price on anything; even with age.
:icontales-of-haven:
Tales-of-Haven Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
I bought it...and it isn't as fun as playing it on the PC.
Have you tried the Masterpiece edition or RealMyst?
I've tried RealMyst...but never really continued that far into it. My dad has the original three from when they first came out, so when I want to play, I usually just play those. :/
Three?
Two, I mean. :I
Myst and Riven.
Oh.
I need to stop typing when I'm too tired. I mess up everything.
:icongrimcw:
GrimCW Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
The nintendo version supposedly has a new age or two to play with too. Making it "unique" to their system.

in other news, you can get Myst and RealMyst on the iphone/ipad for $5 and $7 respectively. RealMyst having upgraded resolution and texture detail.
Except RealMyst not only had that, but was rendered in realtime 3D. :iconfliptable:
yes and no.
the remake on the DS version is said to have had the new age given all new graphical assets.
As well as the game supposedly had new audio/video enhancements... but tbh it had none that i ever noticed.
the smaller screen res just worked better with the already low resolution images IMO.

Never said it justified their pricing for the old as hell game, especially not when i got it on my laptop for less, and even had the DVD editions 10 years ago for less....
Yes, so if the Myst for DS had the same thing, then why do they expect us to buy the 3DS version?
no idea.
Myst was a good game, and its worth getting at the usual rate ($10 or less). As well as its on every platform out there.

No idea whatsoever why they expect more for the DS/3DS versions over any others. Especially when it an be gotten on cell phones....
You have to wonder if Nintendo is taking 20 of the 30 asking price. :shifty:
could be.
they aren't known for GOOD games so much as consistently repetitive remakes of old ones.
Fun.. but still remakes...
just shh, don't let the fanboys know that, it'll shatter their world...
:iconelmida:
Elmida Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
That's the sad part about Nintendo, whereas there consoles are pretty cheap, their games are ass expensive.
Their price scheme is monolithic, really.
:icongoddess-trinity:
Goddess-Trinity Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
At this rate, I'll never be able to earn enough to get a fucking 3DS to replace my (dying) DS Lite. :(

Also, Nintendo of America refused to release "Fatal Frame IV: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse" because they "didn't know if the Fatal Frame series had a publisher". BULLSHIT, NOA.

Fuck Nintendo of America.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013
And look at what happened to La-mulana. It got shredded because of some arbitrary size limit on WiiWare, and then the PC version proceeded to blow it out of the water anyway.
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Traditional Artist
I saw some Wii games at K-Mart on sale for two-five dollars off a $50 game!

But every once in a while I look at the selection of Wii games at the store, I think, "I wouldn't mind having a playstation." Did they make an Animal Crossing game for the Wii? Or is there one I could play on the Wii?

All my next games will be downloads of previous Zelda games. They're all I'm capable of playing.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
They made the rather ill-received Animal Crossing: City Folk. It introduces the fun mechanic of grass deterioration.

And I'm not a materialistic arse, I'd rather go all digital, and wish Nintendo would understand that materialism won't work.
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   Traditional Artist
I don't know why not going all digital would make you a "materialistic arse," or what it has to do with anything I said. Is there a thing against having disks?
You read it wrong.

What I was saying is that I have no need for physical copies, especially with the clutter it makes.
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Traditional Artist
I guess I just don't understand how having/wanting physical copies turns you into a materialistic arse. Mostly because by saying that, you called me one.
At the time, I was angry at Congress. :L
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013   Traditional Artist
Ah, that's understandable. Carry on!
:iconpatt-ytto:
Patt-Ytto Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
It's threads like these that remind me how much i do not like new games anymore.
and no it's not because of the "you're getting old and can no longer try new things" bullshit (come the fuck on i'm 22), but because of how nintendo and all the other triple a's are marketing their shit for redneck families. I find it very difficult to find a SECOND player, and yet they bring the wii u, designed to be used by a FIFTH player. Do they think we're all Borgias or something?
I think Nintendo of Japan greatly overestimated the 'need for physical togetherness' bull that Iwata was trying to push while waving an book by the name of 'Alone Together'.
:iconteenytinytentacles:
TeenyTinyTentacles Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013   General Artist
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver is still 40 USD after almost 3 years of being out. :/
Yes; but that's an actual game. Yes, its a shame for it to still be 40 USD, but its the last of a generation.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
This belongs in games.
No, its a complaint on the lack of sales that Nintendo has.
:iconbleedlings:
bleedlings Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I personally still love nintendo, but I agree 100% with you on this.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 1, 2013
Thankfully, they seem to be having sales on the eShop, on a system that isn't relevant to me at all.
:icondlaesp:
dlaESP Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I agree, I'm losing my faithfulness towards Nintendo...
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
They said that the Publisher sets the price, but I find that to be a load of crap; Nintendo has to regulate prices somehow!
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist
The publisher probably does set the price but Nintendo probably gets a good cut of it. Prices stay high so the publisher can have some profits :shrug:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013
That would explain why VC prices are comparatively high as well.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Jan 24, 2013  Hobbyist
More than likely. Some of the costs probably goes into bandwidth but considering that at most the NES games are 1MB in size and the SNES are around 4MB...their bandwidth costs can't be that much. Those sales are pure profit for the most part.

For the most part the prices are not that bad. Some of those games physically cost a lot more, not to mention needing the hardware to play them...but I wouldn't mind if the VC prices were lower.
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 25, 2013
Not to mention it isn't really costing much bandwidth to host, but it still isn't much to download either. Sure, it could add up, but even then, it leaves plenty of leeway.

The only reason I mind the prices being premium is that the games aren't being treated as a premium.
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012
How do you get 150 stars in Super Mario DS? :ohnoes:
I'm up 105 and I know there's more but 150? I don't know how you get that many. :iconsadtardplz:
And yes, I still play it.
:icontyphloser:
Typhloser Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you gotten all the Secret Stars yet? I think there's like 15 of them. And all the 100-coin stars and 8 red coin stars? The 100 coins and Secret Stars are often missed I think. There's also the rabbits you gotta catch.

I haven't played SM64 or the DS port in so long, lol. I got two copies of the original one for some reason :stare:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013
I have about like 10 or more secret stars, I haven't gotten all the 100 coin stars, but I have gotten all the red coin stars.

I still don't know how that adds up to 150 though...
:icontyphloser:
Typhloser Featured By Owner Jan 2, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you gotten the ones from Mario's, Luigi's, and Wario's paintings?
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Jan 3, 2013
Eeyup.
Add a Comment: