Fake Nerds

I hate these types of people who think they are nerdy by cashing in on the subculture because nerds rule the internet. You know, the kind of people who wear nerd glasses with no lenses and have a Invader Zim/Domo shirt even though they have never seen either one of those shows/shorts. Yeah, I don't like it either and I am sick and tired of it. We have been bullied for liking "nerdy" things and these little shits jump on it thinking its cool and getting popular by knowing nothing about this supposed "nerdy" stuff.
Comments172
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
you make an extremely fair point sir! how dare people get involved right now, only because it looks cool from the outside in. i was bullied through grammar school and high school for playing card games like magic the gathering or computer games like command and conquer. next thing you know, the "popular kids" want in, and as soon as they are in, your dumped again and they are all high and mighty saying that this stuff is cool and we need to go find another social structure. this shit needs to have a restart button pressed. (reason why is the former "nerd" group is now being mixed with the "pot heads", "drugee's", and "no Lifers", and its not right.)
Please let this thread die people.
now why in the world would anyone do that?
HERESY I SAY!

sry.. couldn't resist such an easy target...
If a person is seriously getting into something then they are on their way to becoming nerd but I know people that do things because their friends did it and in reality didn't like what they were doing.

The word nerd itself seems to have such an open meaning now, but I think it can apply to anything in reality. You could be considered a nerd about computing since you may know a lot about it or be a history nerd or hell even a football nerd. The word itself seems to apply to someone who is dedicated to something.
Let me guess, you were a nerd before it was cool, and everyone on the internet has sold out so you don't like them and now their music sucks?
I'm not a nerd. I'm a geek! The difference is I have social skills as well ;)

PS Girls. Just wanted you to know..... you aren't dressed like a nerd. You look like a stupid whore.

No offense.........
You just summed up the definition of a stereotypical hipster.
'We've been bullied for liking these nerdy things! Only once you have been bullied may you consider yourself a true nerd!'

But no seriously, people can wear whatever the holy fuck for whatever reason they see fit. Stop being so pedantic.
I think it's awesome and funny at the same time. I remember when being a nerd was something you shamefully hid away from others. When I was a teenager and someone asked me if I played Dungeons and Dragons; With the following words..."Whoever plays them..I think it's the dumbest thing ever!."
I would of course flat out deny I had any part of it. The truth was I had played it for at lest two years.

And now they want to be us? This is the sweetest thing ever. I have every reason to thank Harry Potter for
making fantasy mainstream. If this wasn't the case, it would still be "D & D is the work of the devil" and "Fantasy is uncool". Which in my humble opinion is called "crap." Did people want to be geeks ten/ twenty years? Heck no. It makes as much sense as grunge era clothes finding themselves on the cover of Vogue. Somewhere somebody is having a laugh.

I do have a problem with people who think women can't be nerds or even pretty women to be nerds. Everybody has a right to be somewhat nerdy. I think the bar for being a geek or nerd should be low. Nobody starts off like a super ultra nerd at first. You have to give people time to grow into their nerdest. The more nerds mean more poeple will get my obscure references to Marvel Comics. I am more happy to bring more people into the fold. More people to nerd out with. This is a great time to be a geek or a nerd.
but DUDE have you SEEN Domo? He's ADORABLE! And so is GIR....I want one.
Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating.” -Simon Pegg

youre not a geek until youve been wedgied, swirlied, shoved into lockers, beaten up, had shit stolen from you, and had to be taken to a therapist by your parents and you STILL love what you love because it was all worth it.
Being "nerdy" has become the new popular trend, who knew that day would come? T_T

The problem is, these people get caught up in the pop culture aspect of it (Big Bang Theory, internet, comic book movies), but they ignore the intellectual or social aspect of being a nerd or geek.

Geek:

1. a computer expert or enthusiast
2. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.

Nerd:

1. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

I'm totally ok with people liking comic book movies and youtube and stuff, but can't we call them something OTHER than geeks or nerds? I don't want to come off as a geek hipster, but... yeah, this is getting ridiculous.
this is why i hang on to this link
[link]
:shrug: people are idiots and follow whatever trend looks "cute"
Meh, who cares.
Just enjoy being a nerd and let them pose. I mean, I hate it too. But I ignore it.
Why do you care so much? Just leave them to it.
Best reaction to this post.
Eh, it doesn't make much difference to me. I used to get called a nerd/geek ect all the time, but now that nerd stuff is fashionable that's stopped, so I don't have a problem with it. xD People just make themselves look stupid by pretending to be something they're not, and they'll stop acting "nerdy" as soon as the next thing comes along. :D So then there'll be something else to complain about! :la:
Your life will be a much better place if you stop losing sleep over other people's glasses and t-shirts :aww:
eh, someone has to...might as well be them
Nerds are too mainstream.
Be a Prep today.