Closed to new replies
December 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 117

Complaint! With a diagram!

:icontoyskunk:
ToySkunk Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
This complaint absolutely required a diagram - I thought that making it would be a cathartic means of releasing my wrath.

Today, I had the horrible realisation that I had forgotten to pick up two things from Sainsbury's. We did our horrible Christmas shopping trip earlier to try to beat the crowds (and it was still horrendous) so I was annoyed with myself to realise that I'd have to go to the supermarket at the same time as everyone else. :iconnoesplz:

As soon as I got there, I realised that the Roundabout of Annoyance had become instead a Roundabout of Death. The roundabout had practically become a car park. Unfortunately, I normally make the awkward manoeuvre of turning right directly after exiting the roundabout, in order to access the parts of the car park that nobody else goes into (no such luck today). This means that you can have cars completely ignoring you from three different directions, which decision is affected by five different junctions. Normally somebody is nice and realises you're trapped and lets you in, but there's something about Christmas that turns people into highly functioning zombies who have, sadly, remembered where their car keys are.

At Christmas, every part of the car park suddenly becomes a parking space. Grass becomes a parking space. Bushes become a parking space. Trolley bays become a parking space. Unfortunately, the middle of the road is also apparently a parking space (as illustrated on my diagram) or, possibly even more annoying, a place where it is apparently okay to hunker down and wait for someone to emerge from a REAL parking space. The person who did this was in a BMW, so maybe I should have expected it (sorry, BMW drivers - I'm only going by my experience). I honked at him, and he just looked at me and continued to wait, even though there was no way in hell I could get past. :noes:

I gave up eventually, and turned round to attempt to park somewhere else. I didn't have much hope for Homebase, which has a nearby supermarket carpark, particularly when I realised that every available square inch of road on the way to the Homebase carpark was covered in cars already. It was pretty difficult to get down there. I was expecting Homebase carpark to be full to capacity, if people were resorting to parking on the road leading to it (which you're really not supposed to do).

HOMEBASE CARPARK WAS EMPTY.
EMPTY.

So what people had done was park in really inconvenient places in areas that cars are really not supposed to stop, blocking the road for other users... all so that they could be, at most, one minute closer to Sainsbury's. Because Homebase carpark is really not that far away, and if you've decided to park on the road leading to it, you may as well drive for an extra few seconds and park in the actual fucking carpark. :doh:

I tried to report one of the twats who had parked in the middle of the road in the Sainsbury's car park (on the diagram!) and I was hoping the shop assistant would announce his numberplate over the tannoy, but she didn't. :(

Do big thumbs work? If it doesn't, the diagram is here: [link] BECAUSE I KNOW YOU'RE ALL REALLY INTERESTED

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconandr0o:
Andr0o Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
It's because you're driving on the wrong side of the road.
ToySkunk Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
Nope, pretty sure if I drove on the other side of the road I'd cause a lot more problems.
:iconandr0o:
Andr0o Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Whole country, wrong side of the road! UNACCEPTABLE! :iconlemongrabplz::iconsaysplz: OOOOONE MILLION YEEEEEARS DUNGEON!:iconsaysendplz:
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
We don't have roundabouts where I live. They remind me of trying to jump on one of those spinning things at the playground. Always turns out bad.
ToySkunk Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
They work great here... unless they're designed weirdly.
:iconieighton:
Ieighton Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I moved from the rural Midlands to Newcastle and jesus fuck - the traffic, the cars, the terrible driving, the unnecessary blaring of your horn at a pedestrian crossing 200 yards in front of you. What is wrong with these people?
:lmao: Ahhhh, Newcastle... I go to uni there!
So do I. :paranoid:
Well... I don't go to Newcastle Uni. The other one... :paranoid:
Northumbria aye, Arts and Social Sciences representin'
... Fashion Design... :paranoid:
Sounds like it would probably come under the whole Arts and Social Sciences umbrella. I didn't even realise History did until I checked my ID card.

How come I can't escape from Complaints no matter where I go?
We're everywheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere :iconwooooplz:

Seriously though, cool to meet another Northumbrian on here! :highfive:
(1 Reply)
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
D: ...So many people!
Yes. :( And in the store, too!
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Scary.. :nuu:
:icongrabyourshovelanddig:
GrabYourShovelAndDig Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Kill them all.
YES
:icongrabyourshovelanddig:
GrabYourShovelAndDig Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconlachoirplz:
:lmao: That is ridiculous!
Roundabouts are in general very good - but they can be pretty scary when they differ from the norm (check out the Colchester ones that *RandomRobskii posted...)
They got rid of a roundabout in Sunderland, near me, not so long ago. It was a terrible roundabout, and now it is a bunch of junctions and you can actually drive straight over where the roundabout used to be. This is much better because the roundabout it was previously was unusually badly set out (especially as it was plonked into a one way system :roll:) but in my head, this area is still a roundabout, and I get scared when I drive across it. :noes:
I DID NOT USE REPLY BUTTON
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I love the concept of roundabouts but man my city did a terrible job with them. They basically plonked a round stone in the middle of a regular intersection and went "Look! It's a roundabout!". Then they wondered why it didn't work when people were so uncomfortable in the small space that they pretty much treated it as a 4-way stop. They should have expanded the intersections and made the roundabouts, y'know, round.
:lmao: That is ridiculous!
Roundabouts are in general very good - but they can be pretty scary when they differ from the norm (check out the Colchester ones that *RandomRobskii posted...)
They got rid of a roundabout in Sunderland, near me, not so long ago. It was a terrible roundabout, and now it is a bunch of junctions and you can actually drive straight over where the roundabout used to be. This is much better because the roundabout it was previously was unusually badly set out (especially as it was plonked into a one way system :roll:) but in my head, this area is still a roundabout, and I get scared when I drive across it. :noes:
Haha yeah, I saw the ones RandomRobskii talked about. Those are pretty crazy! I wish we had some decent normal ones, haha. It seems to be more common in Europe than in North America.

And what? Who puts a roundabout in the middle of a one-way? That sounds so unnecessary.
The whole one-way thing is weird and requires local knowledge to get round it, really. My Dad had said that he had it sussed some years ago... and they changed the direction of the one-way. :noes:
Whaaaat. Why would you ever change the direction of a one-way? That sounds so dangerous! It sounds like your city council sits around with a game spinner and a few bottles of vodka.
I bet they do. :lol:
There was one occasion when I was trying to pick up my fella from uni and I conveniently forgot about the one way system. I was trying to pick him up from a horse-shoe shaped 'ring road' and I couldn't park there, and he wasn't there yet, so I thought I'd just drive right round again and circle it. I drove out of the exit and because I hadn't realised that part was one way, I got a shock when I was forced to turn away and drive far, far away from the ring road. I was forced to meander around the entire city before I could get back to where I wanted to be. :crying:
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Filmographer
On the topic of shitey roundabouts, I don't suppose you've ever been to Colchester, have you? Mother of god, what were they thinking when they designed that town's traffic system? :no:
I haven't, no - what is it like? :noes:
You know the olympic logo with the five rings? Imagine that in a town. :stare:
WTF :noes: I thought Sunderland's one way system was bad
Colchester literally has roundabouts everywhere, it's laughable... Unless you're in the car, of course. You can probably see how stupid it is if you go to google maps. :lol:
Colchester literally has roundabouts everywhere, it's laughable... Unless you're in the car, of course. You can probably see how stupid it is if you go to google maps. :lol:
It does look rather roundabouty :noes:

Check out Sunderland's one way system, too! All the arrows on the roads :doh: [link]
Can't see it where I'm on my phone, but this pretty much sums Colchester's roundabouts.

[link] :lol:
What the hell are these weird ass roundabout shapes? :noes:
:iconangelishi:
angelishi Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
How far was this place? :lol:
If I were you I would've gone by foot or bike.
It would have been a comfortable distance to go by bike, I think... if I had a bike. :( Would have taken too long by foot, I think. That said, at least I was able to avoid the weather in my car. :lol: I can pick up small bits of shopping in town by foot generally but if I have to go to a supermarket, it's the next town over.
:iconangelishi:
angelishi Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have no bike either! :highfive:
Oh right, it's winter there.
Bikeless together! :highfive:
And yes. It was sunny today, just really, really windy. :(
:iconjeweledscarab:
JeweledScarab Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
We need more complaints with diagrams.

At least you live where people understand roundabouts though. The US population does not grasp the concept well. Twice driving around town with my parents we have almost been run off the road in a roundabout because people cannot comprehend that the outside lane DOES NOT GO ALL THE WAY AROUND. :stare:

And don't even get me started about Walmart parking lots...:nuu:
I am so used to the concept of roundabouts that I really can't comprehend how people don't understand them. :lol: Though you do get people doing wacky things with the lanes here sometimes (they're all different... some roundabouts are better than others in terms of their markings).

Are Walmart particularly bad at creating parking areas? :giggle:
:iconjeweledscarab:
JeweledScarab Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I've seen one to many people go through a roundabout the wrong way over here. :stare:

It's less that Walmart doesn't have the parking, because they do, their parking lots are huge. But people don't like to half to walk from 300 ft (91 m) out, so they'll do the next best thing and park in the fire lane. Which is illegal.

I could go on for decades about how awful drivers (and people in general) are at Walmart.
:iconclaygauged:
ClayGauged Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
People waiting for spaces drives me absolutely bonkers. It's the worst at the grocery store, where some idiot will plop down in the middle of the lane to wait for someone who is STILL UNLOADING THEIR VERY FULL CART. There's usually an empty spot just a measly twenty or thirty feet away that said idiot just refuses to go to, and that I am prevented from going to because of the idiot blocking the lane. Unfortunately, most of the lanes are one-way and very narrow, so it's not really possible to reverse out or turn around once you're trapped behind someone.
That is ridiculous. :noes: I've not had anyone QUITE that stalker-ish waiting for a space, but I did have an annoying experience about a week ago at a large shopping centre. I was going to reverse out of a space, when I realised there was somebody hovering and waiting for me. He had actually come round the wrong way, and was blocking the way I needed to go to (correctly) get out of the car park. So I had to reverse the other way, go round the one way system the wrong way... and somebody else came in the right way. :crying:
I did actually manage to squeeze out in the end. I can only hope that the two other drivers were left duking it out over the space I vacated. :lol:
:iconclaygauged:
ClayGauged Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
It happens all the time here. People will wait ages for someone to pack their groceries, get in, and pull out, just to get a spot a bit closer to the door. I honestly think parking lots are the most dangerous place in the world. People abruptly forget how to drive, any kind of common sense or decency, and apparently they loose the ability to read basic instructional signs.
Yeah, it is honestly quite scary trying to cross them on foot sometimes, too..!
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
My parents did the shopping, and I didn't have to experience the pain that is the Sainsbury's carpark. :la:
Lucky you
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I just had the hustle and bustle of Cambridge to deal with as a pedestrian. :P
Add a Comment: