Closed to new replies
December 22, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 99

Everyone steals my comics.

:iconangrydemon:
angrydemon Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Let's do a little experiment. Do you recognise any of these comics here?
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]

This may surprise you but I am the one who made them! In fact, hundreds of thousands of people have seen these comics. But not on DA or my website [link]. No, you probably saw them on Facebook instead. My comics have been passed around all over Facebook, 9GAG, Funnymama and only god knows where else. And you probably saw them with my name, copyright and website URL removed completely. This is called THEFT. Although I'm doing pretty well, considering the sheer amount of views my comics are getting outside, I don't think I'm getting nearly enough recognition for my work. I used to get pissed, but I no longer care anymore. It's not worth the trouble for me to monitor all these incidents. I just hope that the next time you laugh at something funny on Facebook, you think about who created it in the first place.

I just saw Sushi Comic on the Manga Fox page with over 5000 likes and 1000 shares. Of course, some dick removed my name first.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconytcyberpunk:
YTcyberpunk Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
If this is all true, you should make a Face Book page for your work, with an explanation about how you wrote these comics. Then go to where others have posted your work on Face Book, and comment. Post links to that page, and your website, you DA page, whatever, so people know who made it. I really think artists should be recognized for their work. If all those people knew you made those comics, I think at least a few would stop by to let you know that they appreciate your work.

Anyway, that's what I'd do, if people were passing around my art without giving me credit (unlikely).
:iconstarcobra123:
starcobra123 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
It's Facebook everyone uploads stuff but 90% of the time people are either too stupid or just too busy bitching to even look at them pictures

Or it's them damn status where it's like this picture or some weird alien/monster/batman villain will kill you in your sleep "gasp" the horror ahahahaahhahaah
:icon16bitinsanity:
16BitInsanity Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I know you created these comics angrydemon and I humbly support your work and when I say that I mean YOUR work.
:iconfoolish-pride1:
Foolish-Pride1 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I do have to admit I have put a few of your comics on fb, I left your name on them and provided a link to your deviantart, but when I put myself in your position I think permission should have been asked.... sorry bro, my bad :(
:icongatodelfuturo:
gatodelfuturo Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Student Digital Artist
so it was you...
:iconlazerkitties:
Lazerkitties Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have seen all of those comics, and they are epic.
:iconforeverteatime:
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It should be a crime.... Wait, it is.

Anyway, I haven't seen them before, but then again I try to stay faaaaar away from sites like 9gag because they are rotten and evil and stupid and turn people into weird-talking idiots.

Perhaps something that you can do is make sure that with your future projects you'll put your signature or something on it in such a way that it becomes harder to remove without making it obvious something was removed from there?
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012

Look at how much I care. I've selected you as the lucky winner of the thumb of irrelevance.
:iconmcdenis09:
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, I posted something about watermarks getting cut out on F.L.o.a.B.C.'s F.B. page, he said, "It's like a compliment, a really shitty compliment."
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Become a murderer and kill everybody. It's the only way.
:iconwandereranon:
WandererAnon Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Go fuck yourself.
:iconannhutton:
AnnHutton Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
Naughty naughty! You're not alone:
:iconiheartwaffies:
IheartWaffies Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   General Artist
What I'd do is just forget about it. I'd take it as a compliment. But if it bothers you so much, use a more difficult-to-remove watermark or try to decrease or increase your target market (i.e. make it seem less or more funny than it actually is).
:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
You didn't make those comics did you? You just rewrote them.
:iconmiletich2:
miletich2 Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:iconjustkiddingplz:
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
This may surprise you but I am the one who made them!

I'm wondering why you think people would be surprised that you made them.
:iconrockstarvanity:
RockstarVanity Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012   Photographer
I agree with the people who suggest using a more difficult to remove watermark. And there's something else you could try...post them to 9gag etc yourself with the link back to your blog! If other people are posting them on various sites and the audience is responding really well, take advantage of it and use it as an opportunity for self-promotion :D
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Best answer of the day :#1:
:iconvertigo-gal:
Vertigo-Gal Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
this. ^^
:iconnightlynxness:
nightlynxness Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012
Try yuumei's way by adding the watermark/your name on your character/sushi/whatever, but somewhere that doesn't scream in-yo-face, maybe?
:iconkotuna:
kotuna Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
;n; This things make me think that people are sooo stupid...

Why they don't left your name? I don't get it...
Lazerkitties Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They take off the name so that people think that they did it so the person who posted it gets the credit
kotuna Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, I meant that I know why the do that but... Why?
Why? What do they win for doing that???
They're so stupid, brah~
Lazerkitties Featured By Owner Jan 5, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah they do that because they are stupid
kotuna Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:iconsadfaceplz:
Yes, they are...
Lazerkitties Featured By Owner Jan 9, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lol
:iconcrashing-star:
Crashing-Star Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Oi, sucks, man. Hopefully you can get it worked out...
:iconwhiskyomega:
WhiskyOmega Featured By Owner Dec 23, 2012  Professional General Artist
No, I havn't ever seen your comics before, on facebook or anywhere, but then that's just me.

Maybe put watermarks on them which people can't erase without ruining the picture?
Might help.
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Filmographer
nice comics. shame people are stealing them. :(
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012   Digital Artist
Yeah, I've never seen those in my life before.
I think secretly you were just trying to boost you're ego.
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
:iconyourwaywarddestiny:
YourWaywardDestiny Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually, the spread of your comics on facebook is why I know you exist to watch you on DA. Jusy putting your name on shit is actually helping you out, Broseph. You should just sneak 'em in to places it isn't so easy to just edit out.
:iconemilywip:
emilywip Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
people these days are sick, i know. i mean why do they have to waste their time for deleting the credits?
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter

hurrdurr how do i disable sharing and downloads?
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
For someone who acts like such a smart-ass, you sure aren't that smart.
You can still right-click and save pictures from dA even when downloads and sharing ARE disabled. Besides there's always printscreening.
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, as I said elsewhere, whenever you upload your work to the public internet you run the risk of it being stolen or reposted elsewhere.
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
True, but that has nothing to do with your 'hurrdurr how do I turn off the download option' comment and how it wouldn't solve the problem even though you present it as an obvious solution. Blah.
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Dec 25, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Turning off the download and sharing options might deter the lazier thieves. Art theft, like most theft, is a crime of opportunity.
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If the thieves were that lazy, would you suppose they'd still remove the name/signature/link?
This is a honest question now, as I am having difficulties estimating how realistic that would be... and you do seem to kind of start to have a point now.
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
It depends. Some art thieves do it out of ignorance--they honestly don't understand that it's wrong to repost an image they found on google without crediting the original artist. Other art thieves act out of malice and a need for attention, and they're the ones more likely to spend time removing any watermarks from the work.
ForeverTeaTime Featured By Owner Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Mmm, alright, there's a good point.
Though, I still think that in the case they would actually go to the length of removing the watermark, they wouldn't mind hitting the right-click button of the mouse and then 'save as' or 'save'. :shrug:

Still, I'm at least happy to see you did think about the matter. Wish your original post would have reflected that some more. :shrug:
:iconspookyink:
SpookyInk Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012   Traditional Artist
Those are not funny at all.
You should feel bad.
:iconred-winged-angel:
red-winged-angel Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Besides the ones on your page, no, I haven't seen any others. ^^;
:iconred-winged-angel:
red-winged-angel Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
However, I'm sorry to hear about the theft. It is never fun to deal with that.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
To answer your question, no. I do not recognise any of the comics you have there.
:iconfuzzyscribbles:
FuzzyScribbles Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh geez, yeah I've just been sharing your comics through the link leading to your DA. I see FunnyMama and 9gag and some other site share em, now looking at em and they don't have your sig. So messed up :\
:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student General Artist
watermark 'em :)
:iconjayworx:
JayWorx Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Your comics are humorous and clever, and also drawn much better than I could ever do. ^^; It would make sense that people would want to steal 'em.

I know many others have already said this, but add a watermark... unless you're not going to post 'em on the Internet, then I highly recommend doing so. Signatures on the bottom of the page can be edited out, especially if the background behind it is white, so I don't really think this would be a good solution to your problem.

But this is all I have to give that could qualify as "advice", so... I have no better answer. :|
:iconkyllian:
Kyllian Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012
Do you recognise any of these comics here?
No.
:icontelenn-gwad:
Telenn-Gwad Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
put an ugly watermark right in the middle of your awsome drawings. i_i
it's sad but I don't know what else you could do.
Add a Comment: