Strange Phobias

Time to rant about phobias and how much they hinder daily life.

I have EXTREME siderodromophobia, which is fear of trains, railroads, and train travel. I've had it for as long as I can remember and it's only gotten worse. I think it started when I saw the news coverage or a documentary or something about the derailment of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Blue Unit train back in 1994. That's the furthest back I can remember being afraid of them.

Unfortunately, we live in an area where there are train tracks all over the place and I can't drive over a track without tensing up. When I get stopped at a crossing, I hyperventilate and I can't watch movies or tv shows with trains in them, let alone step foot on a train. I will never watch Super 8; I probably won't be able to watch The Lone Ranger and I can't stand the end of S.W.A.T. when my future husband Jeremy Renner gets run over (but that is for multiple reasons ;)). I have ridden on a train once and freaked out the whole time (especially when the car rocked and bumped the underside of the bridge we were going under) and I've been on the subway in NYC which is another story completely.

My best friend is Laridaphobic (which is an intense fear of seagulls) and unfortunately for her, we also live by the beach, so we're both screwed when it comes to avoiding our phobias. =P

Do you have a strange phobia? Or know someone who does? :)
Comments216
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Cypriphobia - fear of prostitutes and/or venereal disease. : seriously whores and herpes freak me out.
Scared of puking.
Uncommon phobia's can really suck mainly because no-one else understands it. Some are universal - no-one questions you if you are afraid of spiders, or snakes, or heights, or planes etc.

I've always had a phobia of slimy things. I rarely actually went swimming when my family went to the beach (which was very rare anyway) in case I encountered seaweed :ohnoes: I despise worms most of all, along with slugs, snails and other slithery garden creepers. I'd much rather handle a spider :iconseriousnod: Yet people look at me weird when I tell them I'm terrified of worms. Yet cockroaches and spiders are no more disgusting but it's "normal" to be afraid of them :stinkeye:
I don't have any outright phobias, but I'm majorly freaked out by complete silence or complete darkness.
My phobia is really odd. I'm afraid of stupid people. It is my firm belief, that if I stand within 10 yards of STUPID I risk exposure which may cause: severe headaches, depression, lack of self worth, and in rare cases, pregnancy.

Which is why I propose that we institute an IQ test for Americans, and deport everyone that falls short of the magical number. Which would be awesome, as a side effect drug (alochol included) usage will plummet, babies will stop spawning in hordes, and overall speech will be more polite. As opposed to the same swear words being used as nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, ect...

Then again, a negative would be that I wouldn't have anyone to check me into a hotel. Or serve me a quick bite to eat. Oh the inhumanity.
I am terrified of birds that are bigger or as big as a crow. I freak out if they r near me and where i live they r here year round :lonely:
Also i am a claustrophobic i hate feeling trapped :facepalm:
i also have a fear of driving, anything with more then six legs, and dogs
I'm terrified of things with abnormally long limbs. This is horrible when everyone at my school is sort of obsessed with Slenderman.
Thunderstorms are my big one. I'm a nervous wreck during the late spring and summer months when we get them really bad here. I think it stems from my fear of tornadoes, even though I've never seen one and it's totally irrational since I'm from the American northeast it's not like we even get them much anyway. :(

I also hate elevators. When it's night time and I have to get past my front door or windows I run because I'm scared that there'll be something scary beyond the glass! D:

I've also been having nightmares of shootings since Friday when a few other girls and I were stuck in the lockerroom at school because we were having an urgent sounding safety drill. Besides the recent shooting in Connecticut, surrouding school districts were on lock down because there were threats of similar things happening. It was traumatizing. :crying:
I have trypophobia. It's kinda hard to explain, so just put that word into google images and you'll figure it out.

I looked at a few of those pictures once and my skin crawled for like 2 hours.

I also have a fear of looking up and a fear of tall buildings... and, in turn, I have a fear of looking up at tall buildings xD
I have a phobia of talking to people and rejection, but only because I'm a goddamn sperg that cries whenever she gets yelled at.
I'm Mycophobic.

An intense fear of mushrooms.
Scales. Like the kind you stand on to weigh yourself, not the kind that fish are covered in :aww:

I had an eating disorder when I was younger and a big part of recovery was to not weigh myself, which was really difficult because it's terrifying not to know exactly what you weigh when you've spent most of your life obsessing over it to the point where it nearly kills you.

Somewhere along the way, my brain made the utterly illogical leap from "scales should be avoided for the good of my sanity" to "scales are the single most terrifying and threatening object in the history of the world". I find it really hard to walk down the bathroom supplies aisle in the supermarket and if I go to the bathroom at a friends house and there are scales there, it absolutely completely freaks me out. The only way I can describe the (completely irrational) feeling is like rising panic, like the knowledge that if I stepped on the scale it would put me right back to where I was 12 years ago and it's the scariest feeling ever...kind of like standing on the edge of a cliff and realising that there's nothing stopping you from just stepping off.

So yeah, there's my weird phobia.
I can actually relate to that a little bit. I don't panic going down the bathroom aisle, but they make me very nervous for similar reasons.
You people all have some weird as balls fears.
None of my phobias are really 'strange' ones, I'm claustrophobic though and so that is never fun. D:
My best friend is quite phobic of wasps/bees and it stems from the fact she doesn't know if she's allergic to them.
I have a fear of mirrors, especially at night. Not because of the Bloody Mary story, but I feel like seeing myself is unnatural. That sounds odd, but I don't know how to put it.
I'm not too fond of trains, either.
That discomfort about them kind of came from my driving class when we had to watch a few gruesome videos on train wrecks. A whole family in a station wagon was taken out because of the father's dumb-ass decision to drive past the gates when they were lowered... then the station wagon stopped running and he was unable to start it in time. The results were catastrophic. The little girl in the car ended up decapitated or something.

Then again, watching that video taught me not to be a dumb-ass behind the wheel and make shitty decisions, so... I shouldn't complain. :P
I have a fear of bizarre graphical things that go fast.
I'm mildly terrified of rolling stacks.
I have an extreme fear of being close to anything that lives underwater (including underwater plants), and it's gotten worse in the past few years to the point where I can't even go to aquariums anymore, especially if they have gigantic tanks. The Caribbean Reef tank at the Shedd Aquarium was absolutely terrifying to me.
I'm not sure if it's to the point of a phobia, but elevators freak me out.
I have a friend with psychoactive OCD and a fear of vomiting. So thinking about vomiting can make him vomit.