Details

Closed to new replies
December 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 217

Strange Phobias

:iconellerochelle:
Time to rant about phobias and how much they hinder daily life.

I have EXTREME siderodromophobia, which is fear of trains, railroads, and train travel. I've had it for as long as I can remember and it's only gotten worse. I think it started when I saw the news coverage or a documentary or something about the derailment of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Blue Unit train back in 1994. That's the furthest back I can remember being afraid of them.

Unfortunately, we live in an area where there are train tracks all over the place and I can't drive over a track without tensing up. When I get stopped at a crossing, I hyperventilate and I can't watch movies or tv shows with trains in them, let alone step foot on a train. I will never watch Super 8; I probably won't be able to watch The Lone Ranger and I can't stand the end of S.W.A.T. when my future husband Jeremy Renner gets run over (but that is for multiple reasons ;)). I have ridden on a train once and freaked out the whole time (especially when the car rocked and bumped the underside of the bridge we were going under) and I've been on the subway in NYC which is another story completely.

My best friend is Laridaphobic (which is an intense fear of seagulls) and unfortunately for her, we also live by the beach, so we're both screwed when it comes to avoiding our phobias. =P

Do you have a strange phobia? Or know someone who does? :)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconworldwar-tori:
WorldWar-Tori Dec 25, 2012   General Artist
Cypriphobia - fear of prostitutes and/or venereal disease. : seriously whores and herpes freak me out.
:iconiheartwaffies:
IheartWaffies Dec 25, 2012   General Artist
Scared of puking.
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Uncommon phobia's can really suck mainly because no-one else understands it. Some are universal - no-one questions you if you are afraid of spiders, or snakes, or heights, or planes etc.

I've always had a phobia of slimy things. I rarely actually went swimming when my family went to the beach (which was very rare anyway) in case I encountered seaweed :ohnoes: I despise worms most of all, along with slugs, snails and other slithery garden creepers. I'd much rather handle a spider :iconseriousnod: Yet people look at me weird when I tell them I'm terrified of worms. Yet cockroaches and spiders are no more disgusting but it's "normal" to be afraid of them :stinkeye:
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Dec 25, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I don't have any outright phobias, but I'm majorly freaked out by complete silence or complete darkness.
:iconcelestialsheep:
CelestialSheep Dec 25, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
My phobia is really odd. I'm afraid of stupid people. It is my firm belief, that if I stand within 10 yards of STUPID I risk exposure which may cause: severe headaches, depression, lack of self worth, and in rare cases, pregnancy.

Which is why I propose that we institute an IQ test for Americans, and deport everyone that falls short of the magical number. Which would be awesome, as a side effect drug (alochol included) usage will plummet, babies will stop spawning in hordes, and overall speech will be more polite. As opposed to the same swear words being used as nouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, ect...

Then again, a negative would be that I wouldn't have anyone to check me into a hotel. Or serve me a quick bite to eat. Oh the inhumanity.
:iconshy-elle31:
I am terrified of birds that are bigger or as big as a crow. I freak out if they r near me and where i live they r here year round :lonely:
:iconshy-elle31:
Also i am a claustrophobic i hate feeling trapped :facepalm:
:iconabrigedfoamy:
Abrigedfoamy Dec 24, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
i also have a fear of driving, anything with more then six legs, and dogs
:icontales-of-haven:
I'm terrified of things with abnormally long limbs. This is horrible when everyone at my school is sort of obsessed with Slenderman.
:iconthecannywalrus:
Thunderstorms are my big one. I'm a nervous wreck during the late spring and summer months when we get them really bad here. I think it stems from my fear of tornadoes, even though I've never seen one and it's totally irrational since I'm from the American northeast it's not like we even get them much anyway. :(

I also hate elevators. When it's night time and I have to get past my front door or windows I run because I'm scared that there'll be something scary beyond the glass! D:

I've also been having nightmares of shootings since Friday when a few other girls and I were stuck in the lockerroom at school because we were having an urgent sounding safety drill. Besides the recent shooting in Connecticut, surrouding school districts were on lock down because there were threats of similar things happening. It was traumatizing. :crying:
Add a Comment: