Closed to new replies
December 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 199

People crying over the loss of someone they never knew

:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
As I walked across campus tonight to get a bite to eat, I passed by a large group of people standing in a common social gathering area. There were about thirty or so people there, maybe more. I was a little confused as to what was happening, until I saw about twenty black and white pictures on the wall and lit candles in the people's hands. They were holding a candlelight vigil for the kids who got shot the other day.

... Let me explain something very clearly first. I get it - people died, it sucks, and it's sad. But I just don't understand why these people are holding a memorial service, hell, a candlelight vigil with sad music and tears, even, for a group of kids that, I'll go ahead and guess, none of these people knew. It's nonsense, and here's why.

Children die every day. Disease, starvation, murder, it happens, but we don't hold candlelight vigils for all the people in Africa who bite the dust every day, do we? No, it's because someone shot these kids. Now we're sad. Why? What makes it any different? Hell, those kids who were shot probably had an easier time dying than the kids who are in the hospital with terminal ilnesses - at least the shooting victims are dead and have it done with. They didn't suffer like so many others do. You know why these people are holding this vigil? It's because they need something to mourn over because they have nothing else to feel sad about. It's also because they were children, which, call me heartless, I don't give a fuck about. They could be infants for all I care, a victim's a victim and I don't grant special mourning rights due to age.

The only people I will allow a vigil are those who actually knew those who died. They deserve to hold a funeral. Some college students who live hundreds of miles away who didn't know jack shit about those kids until they were plastered all over the news? Get over it and move on with your life. People die every day, stop treating this as if it were so special.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstan92057:
Stan92057 Featured By Owner Dec 24, 2012
They don't need your permission or judgement. Nor do they need to explain why they do what they do to you. Get over yourself and move on. Works both ways don't ya know.
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's a nice gesture, and I guess some people think...what if it was my family or me? But personally I couldn't get that worked up over strangers either, but yes, I think it was upsetting. I don't know why Africa and other places are always brought into the argument because we know they've got hard lives, etc. but when you're from the country it happened in, that's why it's more bothersome.
:iconsauti-alamisi:
Sauti-Alamisi Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I feel really bad for those children, but I don't candlelight vigil for them. Hell, I'm Christan, but I didn't pray for them.

It's just me.
:iconkillerfreya:
KillerFreya Featured By Owner Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why don't YOU get the fuck over people mourning it?
:iconclaygauged:
ClayGauged Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
I read an article in Wired a loooong time ago that was really interesting. It had to do with how the human mind really doesn't like big numbers in general. They're difficult to relate to. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions, billions, trillions. The larger the number, the more abstract it becomes. They related it to psychology by pointing out how people can get so wrapped up in the case of one or a few people, while the same thing is happening on a much larger scale and no one cares. Think Jon Benet (sp?). People didn't care about the massive number of children kidnapped, killed, or sexually assaulted every year. They cared about that one individual. The same is true here. It's a number that's small enough to put names and faces with, to personalize.

That being said, I cried. For any number of reasons, some very complicated, and some very simple. What happened on that day was a tragedy. It's no less of a tragedy because other children die in other circumstances. I have lost people close to me, some in horrible ways, but I still can't imagine the pain of those families. I understand that some people are indifferent, and I won't judge you for your indifference. But you shouldn't judge me for caring, either.
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
they do it because they think they're helping.

ADORABLE.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's called mourning and/or paying respect. Excuse us for being empathetic, for showing compassion. Believe it or not, lots of people would like a lot more of that.

I feel bad for the children who were stabbed in the Chinese elementary school, and the thousands who died fighting for their freedom in Syria. I am also horrified that people (including children) are dying by the dozen in suicide bombings and drone strikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

Yet here you are, sitting safe in front of your computer, implying that its pointless to express sorrow and concern for the dead and injured?

Just who are you to criticize these mourners? And what makes you so much better?

I'm getting tired of this nihilistic, misanthropic bullshit.

Lastly, I'm certain that you would not be saying this if someone you knew was in that school.
:iconnoskillzyo:
Noskillzyo Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Some people are more sensitive than others, there problem solved
:iconfairy-red-hime:
Fairy-Red-Hime Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
I don't know about those people holding candlelight vigils, but what makes me sad about this event is that children IN MY COUNTRY were shot and killed. Things tend to be more shocking when they happen in your country. Also, not to play the "moral olympics", but I actually do care and think about everyone who is having trouble. If I have the money, I will donate to the charities that help those children in Africa you OBVIOUSLY care so much about. But it's not always that easy. Sometimes people don't have the money or things to donate to people in "real trouble". Sometimes all you have to offer is your sympathy. Caring about people, especially freakin' children, is not such a bad thing.
Exactly! When it's in your country, it hits closer to home, and that's what most people would think of first!
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well said; thank you for posting this.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Because candlelight is beautiful and you are a mean mean person to rip on people for wanting an excuse to set stuff on fire. :iconfinegeezplz:
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It reminds me of how half the damn world cried when Michael Jackson died. Many of these people probably accused him of Pedophilia just years earlier :roll: I get it, he was a great guy whom the music industry will have a lot of trouble replacing. But does that really warrant crying as if you just lost your mother :stare: I for one can just never get that attached to people I don't even know :shrug:
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
My first reaction to Jackson dying was "bout freakin' time".

My second reaction was "Wait, Bubbles the fucking MONKEY outlived Michael Jackson!?"
:iconkoyukuk:
Koyukuk Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
holy shit, it did?! :noes:
Yup. Bubbles is still alive.

Chimpy wins.
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh yeah, I forgot about that monkey :ohnoes:
To be fair, as a musical figure he was much loved by the lions share of three different generations.....He'll my BROTHER listen to Michael Jackson and he (the brother) is 14.

Good music is good music.
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah that's true. His music wasn't really limited to generations like most artists are. Still, miss the music, not the guy you never even met :judge:
lol yeah probably

....I'll bet the tabloids miss the guy because he was a major source of derogatory articles lol

Because death automatically makes you a better person right?
:iconcylir:
Cylir Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012
Some musicians mean a lot to people ya know. For example, their music might have changed someone's mind about suicide. They aren't meaningless people. Just saying.
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I suppose people do get very familiar with celebrities. But if that's the case then I wonder why so many people are so upset about people they haven't met or even seen on TV before :O_o: I's almost like a little kid getting distressed because the cat or dog that lives in some stranger's house on the other side of town ran away :nuu:
:iconsweetnspooky:
SweetNspooky Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I find this Story really sad.
But i don't fall off in tears crying for hours. <---- Crying for people you never met. Thats whats in don't understand... You can be sad, upset, angry but just don't fall of in tears thats stupid.
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Its simply a way of showing support. Kind of like all the stupid walks people do (MS, Breast cancer....). The walking in a big circle accomplishes nothing, but it gives a sense of hope that with focus and energy we can improve things.
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
Hope doesn't improve things. Effort and direction and productivity do.

Which is why all those self-righteous "walking" pricks end up blowing all the money on the walks instead of research and progress. It's more about feeling good than doing good. No good comes from false hope. Actually making noticeable progress and actually reaching improvement is what is needed, rather than just "hoping" for a solution.

Man, at this rate, I'll have a prick-fairy answer for every self-righteous scenario! Waha!
lol XD epic!

And no, no it doesn't. Hope makes you feel better about yourself and gives you a semblance of being a good person as well as an excuse to tell people to fuck off.

There's this thing in society about disturbing mourners.
:iconredfoxbennaton:
Redfoxbennaton Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Because, you should deactivate. Thats why.
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
You know what? Every time someone brings up Africa to talk about allll the kids dying, I'm going to post this:

[link]

:la:

No, I''m not trying to be insentive. No, I'm not ignorant that the continent has its problem, like every other place in the world. But bringing it up EVERY TIME someone brings up a tragedy in the developed world, I can't help cringing. The argument is just so old and so patronizing.
Ok then CAMBODIA! Better? :)
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
I prefer the kids dying on the streets in America.
:icondariadzyuba:
DariaDzyuba Featured By Owner Dec 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You prefer?
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012
Yes.
DariaDzyuba Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You have no empathy for people. :no:
Why should I? Oh wait, let me see if I can find it and shoot it.
:iconblackinfinity666:
BlackInfinity666 Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Why shouldn't you? (legitimate question here)
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 21, 2012
I have no reason to cry over someone I don't know or I should not cry over something that accures daily. People get shot everyday but, do you see anyone on here grieving for them? No. So, why should I grieve for a bunch of kids?
(1 Reply)
DariaDzyuba Featured By Owner Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Read what you said: "I prefer the kids dying on the streets in America." :no:
Hey, if you're going to bring up starving kids in Africa, you might was well go for the deaths of kids in America.
(1 Reply)
THERE IT IS!

:iconbunnyfetishplz:

SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT!
Can I eat it later?
(1 Reply)
:iconowlbuddy:
owlbuddy Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Because no-one REALLY cares about strangers however each person there wants to appear 'deep and sensitive' to the other douches attending said candlelight vigil.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
There are a few reasons why certain victims get more widespread attention (IMO anyway).

I think people have a hard time coping with senseless tragedies like this. If a child that has cancer dies, it is sad, but the child is sick, we can make sense of that. There was a reason the child died. He/she was sick. Africa is a poor nation overflowing with disease (at least the way it is depicted in charity commercials), so we can understand why people die. But someone randomly shooting children or a movie theatre, they can't make sense of that. People seem to need a "reason". That's why after a shooting or mass killing people delve into the killer's childhood. They want a reason that this happened. There has to be a reason why he shot up those people.

The second biggest component it simply media attention. Awareness goes a long way. Look at Yu-Yu who died in 2011. She was a two year old girl in China who was heartlessly run over by two different vans and left to bleed out for over 20 minutes while 17 people walked past her without even looking at her. The surveillance video when viral in Hong Kong and people were outraged. She got superb, round the clock medical care (Although sadly she passed away anyway), vigils and the drivers were arrested. When this story was big, a fair amount of chinese people came forward and admitted that this is something that happens there. People get run over and are left to die there, and no one cares. The drivers seldom face any charges. The only reason Yu-Yu got special attention was because the media ran the story.

The reason people find the death of children is obvious and I don't think you need it explained to you.
:iconbi0terr0r:
BI0TERR0R Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I love how people are all "What about the people/kids in Africa (etc) who die every day due to (insert factor leading to death here) as if it's really all that valid.

I'm not saying what happens in these places is any less tragic, in fact it's actually /more/ tragic in most cases. But I mean, come on, how often do you guys actually think about these things yourselves? Or better yet, how often do you actually do anything about it?

As it has been pointed out, it's how the media portrays the entire thing. Are you honestly surprised when people pay more attention to things that hit 'closer to home'? I don't really think it's right to ignore the worlds problems, no, but isn't it a little hypocritical to wave it off as 'psh, worst stuff happens elsewhere every day'?

Is this really as tragic as the media claims it to be? For those that were not affected, no. We'll all forget these families before next summer.
Is this even comparable to the shit that goes down in the rest of the world? Nope. 'Corse not, and I doubt that the people who are upset over this would try and argue against that. So what's the issue, really?
The media makes a circus out of it too though. They'd rather mourn than be interviewed.
:iconlimitless--wings:
limitless--wings Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Student Artist
I agree with ~Solaces, why bring children from Africa into this? it's irrelevant to the topic, that we are currently contributing to. Of course; it is sad that they die every second, but its not like they have a choice to die. For a second; even a milli-second feel sympathy for those children. Their future has been taken away from them; like the children in Africa.
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't think they do it because they need something to feel sad about, they do it because they think in some way they're helping :roll:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
:iconcryingplz:

AHHH! That doesn't look too helpful at all!
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's really not.
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
They're not hurting anyone by doing it, let them do whatever they want to. If you don't wanna do it, don't do it.

Still, this is gonna happen dozens more times while we're alive. I reckon we may as well just give our empathy to people it will actually matter to.
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012
So why don't you live in Africa then?
Add a Comment: