Details

Closed to new replies
December 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 199

People crying over the loss of someone they never knew

:iconredmarlin:
As I walked across campus tonight to get a bite to eat, I passed by a large group of people standing in a common social gathering area. There were about thirty or so people there, maybe more. I was a little confused as to what was happening, until I saw about twenty black and white pictures on the wall and lit candles in the people's hands. They were holding a candlelight vigil for the kids who got shot the other day.

... Let me explain something very clearly first. I get it - people died, it sucks, and it's sad. But I just don't understand why these people are holding a memorial service, hell, a candlelight vigil with sad music and tears, even, for a group of kids that, I'll go ahead and guess, none of these people knew. It's nonsense, and here's why.

Children die every day. Disease, starvation, murder, it happens, but we don't hold candlelight vigils for all the people in Africa who bite the dust every day, do we? No, it's because someone shot these kids. Now we're sad. Why? What makes it any different? Hell, those kids who were shot probably had an easier time dying than the kids who are in the hospital with terminal ilnesses - at least the shooting victims are dead and have it done with. They didn't suffer like so many others do. You know why these people are holding this vigil? It's because they need something to mourn over because they have nothing else to feel sad about. It's also because they were children, which, call me heartless, I don't give a fuck about. They could be infants for all I care, a victim's a victim and I don't grant special mourning rights due to age.

The only people I will allow a vigil are those who actually knew those who died. They deserve to hold a funeral. Some college students who live hundreds of miles away who didn't know jack shit about those kids until they were plastered all over the news? Get over it and move on with your life. People die every day, stop treating this as if it were so special.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconstan92057:
They don't need your permission or judgement. Nor do they need to explain why they do what they do to you. Get over yourself and move on. Works both ways don't ya know.
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's a nice gesture, and I guess some people think...what if it was my family or me? But personally I couldn't get that worked up over strangers either, but yes, I think it was upsetting. I don't know why Africa and other places are always brought into the argument because we know they've got hard lives, etc. but when you're from the country it happened in, that's why it's more bothersome.
:iconsauti-alamisi:
Sauti-Alamisi Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I feel really bad for those children, but I don't candlelight vigil for them. Hell, I'm Christan, but I didn't pray for them.

It's just me.
:iconkillerfreya:
KillerFreya Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Why don't YOU get the fuck over people mourning it?
:iconclaygauged:
I read an article in Wired a loooong time ago that was really interesting. It had to do with how the human mind really doesn't like big numbers in general. They're difficult to relate to. Thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions, billions, trillions. The larger the number, the more abstract it becomes. They related it to psychology by pointing out how people can get so wrapped up in the case of one or a few people, while the same thing is happening on a much larger scale and no one cares. Think Jon Benet (sp?). People didn't care about the massive number of children kidnapped, killed, or sexually assaulted every year. They cared about that one individual. The same is true here. It's a number that's small enough to put names and faces with, to personalize.

That being said, I cried. For any number of reasons, some very complicated, and some very simple. What happened on that day was a tragedy. It's no less of a tragedy because other children die in other circumstances. I have lost people close to me, some in horrible ways, but I still can't imagine the pain of those families. I understand that some people are indifferent, and I won't judge you for your indifference. But you shouldn't judge me for caring, either.
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Dec 21, 2012  Professional General Artist
they do it because they think they're helping.

ADORABLE.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's called mourning and/or paying respect. Excuse us for being empathetic, for showing compassion. Believe it or not, lots of people would like a lot more of that.

I feel bad for the children who were stabbed in the Chinese elementary school, and the thousands who died fighting for their freedom in Syria. I am also horrified that people (including children) are dying by the dozen in suicide bombings and drone strikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc.

Yet here you are, sitting safe in front of your computer, implying that its pointless to express sorrow and concern for the dead and injured?

Just who are you to criticize these mourners? And what makes you so much better?

I'm getting tired of this nihilistic, misanthropic bullshit.

Lastly, I'm certain that you would not be saying this if someone you knew was in that school.
:iconnoskillzyo:
Noskillzyo Dec 20, 2012
Some people are more sensitive than others, there problem solved
:iconfairy-red-hime:
I don't know about those people holding candlelight vigils, but what makes me sad about this event is that children IN MY COUNTRY were shot and killed. Things tend to be more shocking when they happen in your country. Also, not to play the "moral olympics", but I actually do care and think about everyone who is having trouble. If I have the money, I will donate to the charities that help those children in Africa you OBVIOUSLY care so much about. But it's not always that easy. Sometimes people don't have the money or things to donate to people in "real trouble". Sometimes all you have to offer is your sympathy. Caring about people, especially freakin' children, is not such a bad thing.
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Dec 22, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Exactly! When it's in your country, it hits closer to home, and that's what most people would think of first!
Add a Comment: