Parents spending all their income on kids presents.

I don't see why parents buy their kids such expensive toys and waste all their money on it! It's not like the kids going to look after it.
There is this one child of about seven with a nintendo 3DS. I saw him throw it from one end of the bus we were on to the other. The screen cracked and he somehow managed to get his mother to be sympathetic.
When I was younger, my mum got me a little wooden train, and I played with that. She didn't waste her money on something that I would break within 30 seconds because she knew it was a waste of money. Seems sensible, right?
Another example is that one parent I have heard of is in a little bit of financial trouble. Instead of cutting back on expensive christmas presents, they sold their car.
This is madness!

tl;dr. Parents wasting money on expensive xmas presents instead of on useful stuff like food.
Comments245
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I got a Gameboy Color when I was 7, and I still have the exact same one at 21. I think part of the problem is that technology is becoming more delicate nowadays (the Gameboy was a fucking brick :lol:), and the fact that kids take less time to care for their stuff nowadays too.

On a related note, my sister got her 3 and 4 year old sons this tablet that's basically a cheaper iPad (still cost about £200GBP though). When I said she'd be better off getting a DS for them because it's more durable, she said "oh they have one but they got bored of it". :stare:
I can't relate since, We have no tradition of actually giving each other presents. More like Boxes of Cheap bargain chocolates or Cookies, wrapped in wrapping paper. So I don't understand the whole parents spending money on kids, with no regard to their actual budget.

But I do see such behaviour as crazy.
Unfortunately, some people just can't get their priorities straight. :(
I've seen some parents claim they didn't have the money to buy their kids a couple of notebooks and pens for school stuff, and being unable to pay said kids' lunch fees from the school cafeteria. But then the kid shows up with designer clothes/a DS/a new iPhone/whatever. Seriously, the mind boggles.
Christmas isn't a holiday, it's an excuse to consume products.
My last post aside - I can live without seeing kids with mobile phones and their own computers. Kids at low age doesn't need those stuff! Especially not a NEW phone like, say Iphone. Buy the kids old phones which doesn't break no matter how hard you throw them in the ground or bathe with them.

As long as the kid is responsible enough and the parents actually can afford it - no problem.
Some people have enough money to not call it waste to give their kids presents.
Some kids are responsible enough to take care of presents.

You saw a idiot on a buss, it doesn't mean all kids are like that.
I agree with this, even though my parents tend to get me some expensive gifts for the winter holidays. (This means 3 holidays combined usually, The day I was adopted, Hanukkah, and my Birthday)

Most of the time though, my gifts last a long time though, or I sell them to buy myself new stuff. (AKA my PSP and DS which lasted a good long life that I finally traded in to get some money for some new stuff :3)

I CANNOT stand when kids get these expensive gifts and they're like 4 or something, as well as if the kid, any age, gets a new one every year or less, or break something and their parents replace it. Even though I get expensive gifts, they're one-time for me, gotta give up old gifts if I want to get myself something new. :I
My family is pretty well off these days, but when I was a wee child my mom never let us go without presents. Granted, she didn't go out and BUY anything.. she knew kids just wanted something to unwrap. She wrapped up our toothbrushes, sheets, combs, socks we already wore lol, we didn't know the difference!
Some kids are so stupid..

My sister and I had a playstation 2 at the age of 4 and 6 (I was the 6 year old), it still works today. It's lost in a closet somewhere though since we had the floors redone a few years ago. Still usable though. :bucktooth:
Myself and my siblings grew up in a pretty broke family. We actually grew up never expecting anything under the tree. But, our parents would always end up getting us something. I remember the year they managed to get us the limited edition gold Zelda N64. There was nearly 3 child-sized heart attacks that year. We still have it and it still functions perfectly. Kids these days seem to think that electronics are disposable or something..
Their money, their problem. If they wanna squander it, it isn't your peoblem. Rich dumbfucks are rich dumbfucks.
Man, I had a freaking Genesis as my first real gaming console. :XD: Grew up on Sonic. :lol:
When we didn't have a lot of money when I was younger, my parents would use Christmas to get us things that weren't quite essential, but were useful, so one year I remember I got one of those clock radios that certainly became useful when I went to secondary school the following year. We just knew that we couldn't have expensive presents and that was that.

Then, if it got broken, we would have to buy the replacement ourselves, so we learnt, like when I was 12 my first phone broke through my carelessness, and I had to pay for my next one myself. I haven't broken a phone since then. :lol:
I never know what I want for Christmas, but when it comes around, my family showers me with all these expensive gifts that I don't want or need. :saddummy: Sometimes I think that the best gift is just plain old money. XD
I'm hoping for iTunes Vouchers :) Or a PM.
I'm spending almost two hundred dollars on my little brother this year :meow:
Wow! How old his he, and what is it?
I'm pretty sure he's nine or ten (I really hate keeping track of ages >.>) and he really wanted a bow and arrow cause he wants to go hunting with my uncle some day. I really just want to spoil them 'cause I've been gone almost six months
Yeah. Its awesome.
A lot of the presents I used to get were clothes.
My mother only got us what we can handle when I was younger. But that was the good old past, before IPhones were invented.

But seeing 5 year olds with IPhone 5's make me want to burst. I still don't have a phone yet, even if I am in High School.

Damn.
"Back in my day..."

Times change, sorry.

That said, half of my Christmas gift this year is socks. Feels comfy, man.
Plus if they get old, they'd make a fun boredom killer. :lol: