How does reverse racism not exist?

Does reverse racism not exist? Just as a bit of a background as to where this started...I recently came across this video: [link]

It's pretty funny, actually.

But yes. It's a YouTube debate (I know, there's my problem right there). If you read the comments, well, you'll see what's going on. Basically, someone mentioned the possibility the lady in the video might be at fault for 'reverse racism'. People thought the person who made the comment = total turd.

I'm not so much concerned if she was or not, but people are suggesting reverse racism doesn't exist...but why not? This term itself is a bit iffy because I feel like by saying "reverse racism", we're adding to that notion of white privilege. I mean, just because with racism I think we tend to associate it with whites > minorities. I'm not a fan of the term "whites" either, but, bare with me.

I can understand if people think reverse racism doesn't exist in the sense that, any racism = racism; that we should have no fancy terms. But the thing is, there are people who seem to be suggesting that LAWL WHITES HAVE NO MEANS OF BEING OPPRESSED AGAINST. But, why not? From some of the comments I read, it's like people think racism = someone has to end up dead. Or until another civil war/holocaust happens, we cannot consider the idea that racism + whites = possible.

I just think its BS. I knew of someone who went to school where minorities were the majority, and she would get harassed. They would say things like, "Oh, we didn't think you would hang out with us since you're white" or "Do you think you're better than us because you're white?" Does this not count as anything??

Any way, I'm just annoyed because sometimes I feel like minorities think that racism is only against minority groups...when it's not the case. And before anyone makes any assumptions, I am not white and I have had a good handful of instances where people do judge me based off of how I look. I just don't want to get into that particular stuff :^)

In other words, YouTube debates. Weee.

Sadly, I think it was bound to happen. Funny how the lady never mentioned what the couple was like (she just said OLD couple) yet, people jumped to the conclusion they were white.
Comments39
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Depends on the definitions used I guess.

If you go with racism = racial prejudice, then, yeah, anyone can be racist.

If you go with racism = racial prejudice + power, then no, the majority cannot experience racism. They can, however, experience racial prejudice. But they're not going to be denied jobs, paid less, fetishised as 'exotic' or whitewashed in the media.
I think that at the very least little things happen, like a buisness hiring a member of a minority over, say, a white male when their ability is about the same or a little higher. Basically I think this happens because they don't want to look like they are discriminating but actually unintentionally are. This is a bit different from what you described though. I would just call that racism.
Shadup craka!!!!! eye do wat i want cause OBAMA!!

You'd be surprised how many times I hear that.
Reverse Racism is the stupidest term I've heard in a long time.

Racism is just believing that one RACE is better than another. It has nothing to do with the skin color of the person doing it. Whether you hate black, white, Asian, etc it's still racism.

But as for the actual act- yeah, it happens. White people don't get an 'everybody loves me' card any more than anybody else does.

And lots of the perceived 'racism' isn't even that in the US, it has way more to do with how much MONEY you make than anything else. It's not about hating any race, it's about hating poor people (or rich people).

There was something that happened a few years ago to me that seems to say, well, something at least. We were living in a circle of duplexes, they had been owned by one company then sold to different ones, the result being that the houses on the lower (downhill) side were low rent and the ones on the upper side were more expensive. Like, we were paying $500 and they were paying $1500 for the EXACT same building.

We lived in the lower half. There were maybe 4 black families there that were BIG, sisters and whatnot living in the same house with all their kids, some of them had 10 kids in one house. Maybe 3 houses with Spanish people who had fairly recently moved here, and then 4 or 5 houses that had white people with kids.

The upper side of the circle had mostly college students that weren't paying their own rent and people a little more well off than we all were, eventually including a white family with three boys about 6-9. That were HORRIBLY behaved. The one time I really talked to her she started explaining how they all have various 'disabilities' which accounts for their inability to behave themselves like normal kids- read, they were brats who never heard the word 'no'.

One day I was out keeping an eye on the kids when I see the little white kids come down the hill waving sticks and shouting. One of the black kids wound up breaking one of the sticks, the white kid freaked out, his brothers got involved....when I saw a group of another 8 kids or so heading up there I went out and made them all break it up.

Then the mom comes running out. She was all relieved, so glad another white lady had come out and broken it up, told me she was about to call the cops (ALL the kids were under 10- AND it never occurred to her to go out there and shout at them to knock it off herself) -

I cut her off, not real happy, and told her that HER kids had started all of this. I wasn't running in to protect them from the scary black kids, I just didn't want to see a seriously one-sided fight. And these kids that she was going to call the cops on were my kids as far as I was concerned. Her kids started that crap.
The best part is when the White Privilege™ crowd lumps all white Europeans together in an equally oppressive conspiracy against persons of colour.

lolwut

Not all the Europeans are equal to the rest. I mean, just look at those stupid Poles or the smelly French. :no:
Adding reverse is redundant, racism encapsulates everything that's implied already.
Video bookmarked. :D

I approve of Baron Julius Evola's racism of three degrees, where an individual has three degrees of racial characteristics: Biological race, which provides physical traits, mental race, which constitutes the sensitivity and natural personality alignment, and spiritual race, that provides transcendental potentials. For example, a Caucasian person with a Nordic personality and an earth-bound spirit might be a white man with a good sense of order, yet only on a shallow, practical and materialistic level.
As other people have said, racism is racism. Racism isn't "saying bad things to black people" and reverse racism is "saying bad things to white people", just like how "reverse sexism" (being sexist towards men) is still sexism.

The thing is that white people will never be as oppressed as minorities. I'm not saying it's okay to harrass white people because they lose the oppression Olympics, but often when white people call racism it's "someone said something mean to me". White people will never be held up by the cops because they're white, they'll probably never be rejected from a job because they're white (and the times I've heard it, it's usually been "I applied to an authentic Japanese restaurant as a chef and every who worked there was Japanese and speaking in Japanese to each other and they probably didn't hire me because I wasn't Japanese". Well, yeah, what did you expect to happen?), they're statistically less likely to end up on the streets or in jail, and more likely to have a better quality of life in general.

Again, I'm not saying white people deserve to be harrassed or it doesn't happen, but you have to be pretty careful calling yourself oppressed if you're white. It's like if a rich guy with a great credit rating was rejected for a loan by one bank and whined about being discriminated against. Maybe that one bank sucks, but he can go to any other bank in the city and get what he wants, so it sounds like he's throwing a fit over nothing.
Reverse racism DOES NOT exist! Why?....because racism means hatred of a single race. Like a scalar quantity, racism by definition has no directions so it does not matter which race you point said hatred at. There is no such thing as reverse racism because it's still just general racism.

Said lady CANNOT be guilty of REVERSE RACISM, but she CAN be guilty of RACISM.

Unless you meant she really liked said race :D.
If you get into political debates on youtube, you're gonna have a bad time...
I don't even comment on youtube anymore. I just use it to listen to music. :B
:fear: Yeah, I don't comment ever.
i'm not white either. i don't think the term "reverse racism" should exist, it's just "racism." whites get treated unfairly too and some people (including some white people!!) think that there's no such thing as racism against whites. o__O
Just call it what it is, racism.
I can understand if people think reverse racism doesn't exist in the sense that, any racism = racism; that we should have no fancy terms. But the thing is, there are people who seem to be suggesting that LAWL WHITES HAVE NO MEANS OF BEING OPPRESSED AGAINST. But, why not? From some of the comments I read, it's like people think racism = someone has to end up dead. Or until another civil war/holocaust happens, we cannot consider the idea that racism + whites = possible.

I just think its BS. I knew of someone who went to school where minorities were the majority, and she would get harassed. They would say things like, "Oh, we didn't think you would hang out with us since you're white" or "Do you think you're better than us because you're white?" Does this not count as anything??

I'm one of those people, little old white girl and THIS: [link] my high school. Three. Fucking. Percent. If you were at least black or asian (also serious minority) you had clubs you could join, and all of your friends would be your race. This was NOT the case at all if you were white. Every other white person I met there had put on some terrible fake chicano accent to try and fit in to the majority. If all your friends were white, you were considered racist. Needless to say, highschool was pretty fucking awful for the first few years.

I had men threaten to beat the shit out of me because I wasn't some homie hopper, or they all thought I drove a mercedes, or my parents lived in a mansion. All I could say was "bitch, you live in a HOUSE! I live in a dinky ass apartment!" I even overheard this one girl say that she was writing a song about how white people were terrible (ex-boyfriend tore her a new one), and in another class this one girl said "white people are the cause of all the world's genocide and stuff, right? So if we just genocide all white people, there will be no more war!" Nobody batted an eyelash. I pounced on her infront of the whole class, and let her know what a retarded racist fuck she was. She cried and ran out of the room. I got some stares, but otherwise, not much eyelash batting on that front either. Reverse racism is a fucking joke. It's just racism.
lol Bay Area California is exactly like that, when I first went visit my cousin up in Oregon, I was like "OMG! So many white people! :iconsupeamazedplz:" lol
Is it bad that I kind've want to transfer there?
lol not at all. We're not ALL assholes lol ;). It's not like people open gawk at a Caucasian, it's more like lol-we-don't-get-people-like-you-around-here-often.

If you're attending a college, it is of course, much more well mixed because we've got a lot of out-of-state transfers. There's a niche for everybody.

Just, dear god, DO NOT AGITATE THE FANGIRLS/BOYS!
What the hell is a homie hopper? :lol:
It's a slang term that basically means a slut who can, at any moment, be seen on top of any random gang member in town. Ergo, homie hopper.
Oh, I guess they don't have that one in DC. :paranoid: