Abraham Lincoln was an Asshole

tl;dr I'd rather learn about Confederate general Robert E. Lee than Lincoln, because when you look at it, Lincoln was an AWFUL president.

No, seriously.

Dude suspended Habeus Corpus in Maryland and arrests 400 people, frees the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation only to revoke it and send them back to their owners, was a massive racist who firmly believed in the inferiority of black people, sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives in order to complete the destiny of Northern industrial states dominating the US economy and drive free enterprise farmers into the ground, and only FINALLY illegalized slavery just so that Britain and Spain wouldn't recognize the Confederate States of America as a nation.

Worst of all, he's portrayed as a hero in history, rather than the awful, constitution-breaking autocrat he was. It's maddening. His fucking face is on our license plates down here in Illinois. The irony of it all, but than again, the winners write the history books...

Urrgh. You know who a lot of history classes gloss over that I'd REALLY like to learn more about?

Robert E. Lee.

Dude was a tactical genius, had a badass beard, and while he didn't want the Union to break apart, he was more loyal to the wishes of his state than to Lincoln's administration. Sure, yeah, he was descended from a slaveholding bunch of aristocrats, but he believed that slavery was, in fact, disgusting. However, he thought of it as a better fate for Africans than famine, disease, war and poverty in Africa that's been around ever since white people stuck their noses in it.

Plus, the slave trade wasn't economically sustainable and would have collapsed in a few decades. Lincoln freeing the slaves then was, again, purely political in motion in order to continue pursuing the war.

Guys, I'm serious. Lincoln was a dick. I'd rather learn about Robert E. Lee.

Though I might be in a bit of caffeine withdrawal/sugar rush/just feel like saying something stupid tonight so I could be speaking way too soon. So be a bit gentle as you rip me down with actual research into the subject, but for serious.
Comments164
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Finally, someone who understands!
Funny, my friend says almost the exact same thing. I thought he was talking crazy, but you may be talking sense here... must investigate in my disgusting amounts of free time during Christmas break.
What you find might surprise you.
There were a lot of people in history who were probably massive dicks, rapists and other unsavoury things but we acknowledge and celebrate them anyway.
And this is why I hate politics.... But hey, Lincoln did have a badass hat!
This is why I keep telling people history books should be re-labeled patriotic propaganda 101. :crying:
Lincoln owned no slaves. Lee did. I agree that Lincoln didn't really care about slavery and used it as a political poker chip, but he did so to preserve the union. That is why he is a great president. He knew we were stronger as one nation rather than two and had the fortitude to tough it out as the country ripped itself apart as well as dealing with his own personal tragedies. He also realized that he might pay for it with his life which he ultimately did. He's still one of our greatest as far as I'm concerned.
and only FINALLY illegalized slavery just so that Britain and Spain wouldn't recognize the Confederate States of America as a nation.
Actually he abolished slavery partly because
#1 He wanted to establish business in the west which was also being competed for by the south and their "make blacks do your handiwork" contradicted his "every man should do their own work (someone cite me on this if it's genuinely wrong).
#2 The moment he declared all black slaves free the south was screwed. Perfect way to win the civil war.

Where did outside countries come into this?

Britain and France where going to support the Confederacy and thus have them be recognized as a nation, but as soon as the Union became the more moral nation, they dropped their plans.
Woah Im guessing you watched the movie! I'd have to agree with you on some points but Id have to say that Lincoln was a pretty patient person considering all the bullshit he had to deal with
He created a lot of bullshit himself.
true true but it benefitted the union so yay he is a hero (im being sarcastic)
But he did have a nice line in hats.
At the time most everyone did.
"Was a massive racist who firmly believed in the inferiority of black people?"

Proof??
I'll present you with it when I'm not on an iPhone and can link things.
“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

Abe Lincoln quote. Tada.
I know; this sucks. This guy was my favorite president for years DX
Dammit, Lincoln, I thought you were cool! DX
:iconheaddeskplz:
View all replies