Y u no...? :(

So, the leather man came to uni yesterday, and as always, there was a massive scrum (unfortunate for me, since I was standing next to the suitcase containing the leather and pretty much got flattened) because bringing animal hides into a fashion design studio is like throwing meat into a shark pool. It's a great company, and you can order stuff by phone or online, but he tends to bring for us any end of line hides or slightly damaged hides to sell at a discount. I'm really not that interested in 'seconds', because I'm a fusspot and I've been using hides since second year (now it seems like all of my classmates want to do it) but he did have a few nice 'current line' samples, one of which I had already been looking at in the catalogue, and which I definitely wanted in my collection. It's a natural coloured rabbit fur plate, and I very carefully extracted it from the paws of my classmates (who also pawed slightly at my coat, it being furry, and them assuming that it was another sample from the leather man... even though it clearly had sleeves) and paid for it - I need a few more, but it was a discount and every little helps. I was sad to miss out on a Toscana lambskin - I'm convinced the classmate who bought that was just buying it to sleep on.

ANYWAY. I laid a pattern piece on the plate, and realised that the particular piece is ABOUT TWO CENTIMETRES TOO WIDE. And they only sell plates in one size. Which is three by four rabbit sized.
:icony-u-noplz: Y U NO FIT? Y U NOT FATTER, RABBITS?

Yes, I can buy more plates and sew them together. But MONEYS. :( I might rethink my pattern just a bit

It also makes me sad when people are excited to use leather and they don't know the first thing about it. Leather man said that sometimes people phone up from high end clothing companies and they honestly think that leather is sold in rolls, like fabric. :noes: Cow doesn't come on rolls!
Comments105
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
What do you mean, cow doesn't come on rolls?! Cow-centipede... You mean, that's not how leather is made?
You can buy leather in little strips and rectangles at craft stores. I've wanted to get little bits to make weird little steampunk goggles and junk with, but I'd never try to make a coat, heaven's no.

On "How It's Made" all the fur episodes are beaver pelts, those would definitely be big enough.
I've used leather quite a lot on my fashion course, but not something so small as a rabbit pelt - I'm glad they are available in plates, at least!
Beaver is a nice fur, but not easy to get hold of here in the UK (well... you can import it, but it's expensive). Rabbit fur fits with my collection more, too, unfortunately. :noes:
What is a "plate"?
Multiple hides sewn together!
Aha!
:pointandlaugh: even with more than one hide you still can't get it to fit?

I still love you because you're better than me.
Damn.

I was kind of hoping there'd be some asshole complaining about the use of rabbit fur. :saddummy:
I am willing to bet that it will happen when I actually start uploading my designs to dA. =/
You'll have wackos, but I'm pretty sure people will be mostly understanding
I am also entering a design contest using other fur types - I won't actually be making anything with those furs, but if I'm lucky enough to win, my garment will be made for me. I am still a little shaky on the issue because it regards other fur animals that I don't eat and that I'm not used to using, even though I have spent weeks looking into and deliberating the fur origin; the competition revolves around humanely reared/sourced fur. In any case... I will maybe avoid putting too much of that stuff in my gallery. =/
They need to start breeding blue rabbits. :B
You can get... sorrrrrt of blue rabbits. You can get a lot of 'blue' furs, but it's a kind of greyish colour really. However, you could just dye them. Orange and purple are popular too. Purple seems a little difficult to design with to me. :lol:
Can you find a single skin of the same colour, cut it up and stitch it into places where you need extra, or will that compromise the durability?
Mine looks a hell of a lot nicer than that plate at least. :D
It probably would lose some of the 'flow' - it's a lot like this [link] only the spinal 'stripe' is even more distinct. So if I put cut pieces into places, I think the pattern will make it look a bit obvious. :( Should be okay to alter the pattern a bit though!
Hahaa well I'm glad you got a nicely patterned plate, luckily it's not too much smaller. Good luck with the new pattern and I look forward to seeing what you make with it.
Thanks! I'm not allowed to upload any of it online yet in case it gets stolen, apparently. :noes: Or we're advised not to. So it might have to wait until after graduate show. :saddummy:
That's fine :D well i wish you luck for the next few months :)
The leather man?

What is this, some creepy urban legend??
No no, he's just a guy who works at the leather company who do discounts for our fashion design course. :lol:
You can be honest with me. Has Leather man gotten someone you care about?
No, he's very nice! Just a nice guy with a suitcase full of dead cows, sheep and bunnies...
TELL ME WHO HE'S HURT
HE... HE HURTS MY BANK ACCOUNT OFTEN?