Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 12, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 93

How Many More Deaths Before Gun Control?

:iconcody-h:
Cody-H Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Photographer
Good morning. Yesterday, someone took a gun to a Mall and shot people at a Mall in Organ. How great.

Video + Info: [link]

How many more “Public” shootings is it going to take before Gun Control is Enforced (or even aknowledged)? So far there have been shootings in Schools, Movie Theaters, and now Malls. This really annoys me so much that people still don’t push for Gun Control, even after this. I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want to be shot at your school, mall, or while seeing a Movie, or loosing a family or relationship there either. This directly makes me feel un-safe in this world. Some type of move towards gun control, just Something. I would like to be able to go out in public and not worry about getting shot at places I go daily.

-Colorado’s Columbine
-Colorado’s Movie Theater (Longmont)
-Organs Mall (Clackmas Town Center)

Devious Comments

:iconnamenotrequired:
namenotrequired Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Interface Designer
:lock: at request of the OP :)
:iconcommandereve:
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm going to have this thread locked, I understand what you guys are saying, but I'm done with this discussion. The people are to blame, because of abusing guns. I also found out the gun was stolen, so that kind of backfires on my thread. :shrug:

Thanks again though. Note me if you still feel like talking about it, though I'm kind of done with this.

Be safe, everyone! :meow:

:iconcody-h: Cody
:icondarkanddefiant:
darkanddefiant Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
"organ"?

yes, a gunshot wound to an organ is fatal.
:icongoatqueen:
GoatQueen Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
It's not the laws that are the problem but people. I think we should be educated about weapons and guns at a young age.
:iconabuthar:
Abuthar Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Digital Artist
There are already 'strict gun laws' in place. And you may disagree, but criminals who kill people with guns aren't exactly following the laws already in place, so why would they follow new laws? More strict gun laws would just make it harder for normal, good law abiding citizens to obtain fire arms to protect themselves. what if there were people in that mall carrying guns? they could have just shot the guy and saved tons of people. this happens all the time. ( [link] )
Giving more people guns is not going to help out very much.
:iconthegroovymurphy:
TheGroovyMurphy Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
what if there were people in that mall carrying guns?

They would've probably shot the guy and kill ten bystanders with stray bullets.
:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student General Artist
:shrug: I'm not into politics
:iconnirvanagenesis:
NirvanaGenesis Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
You don't need to capitalize every other word.
Don't worry about it. It's just a habbit.
:iconafterthenonsequitur:
AfterTheNonSequitur Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Banning guns stops people from having them? Tell me again how nobody does illegal drugs.
It's been said before, but if you ban guns, only the criminals will have them-- and where does that leave civilians? You can't rely on the police. You can't rely on martial arts, or pepper spray, or any of that stuff.
If anything, the best way to maintain public safety would be to make it mandatory (or at least highly encouraged) for everyone to have a gun-- that way, criminals won't be as eager to do the things they do if there's a very high chance their target(s) or others around them have guns and are able to use them.
Gun control will solve nothing.
:iconlibegon:
Libegon Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
So to protect everyone from criminals, you make everyone get guns, including criminals and potential criminals? How does that work?
:iconafterthenonsequitur:
AfterTheNonSequitur Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Exceptions could be made-- criminals already have many of their rights revoked, and it wouldn't be hard to add 'not allowed to own guns' to that list. Yes, potential criminals could still access guns, but if everyone has one (or more), the success rate of murders/theft/muggings/whatnot will certainly go down, if only because people are going to be less likely to want to bet their lives on such a risk.
It seems to work for Switzerland, for the most part.The US has 137 times more 'Murder with Firearms' than Switzerland, and the Swiss highly encourage gun ownership.
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't know about all that. I wouldn't want half the people I know in real life being required to carry a gun. I'll give you a hint why they're really fucking stupid.
:iconsherberttcat:
SherbertTCat Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Then only people who are intent on breaking the law anyway will have them.
I should welcome the idea of making my home easy to rob, because...?
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns :no:. Many law abiding citizens own guns (several of which I know personally). For them, they use it to defend themselves, and nothing more (or shooting ranges with regulations and supervision).

Better background checks can improve issues, yes (and I'm sure they have gotten better after several years and incidents prior). But the fact of the matter is that the guns aren't the problem; the people are the problem.
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
US society is the problem, not the guns/

The fact of the matter is is that people have easier access to so many other weapons that to say that because there aren't enough gun control laws in place doesn't mean jack squat. The people who are using the guns are the problem. If people don't use guns and they are determined to kill others, they're going to use homemade bombs or they are going to poison a lot of people.
:iconbabushka-nipples:
Babushka-Nipples Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Oh god you are one of tose idiots that blames the gun, not the people. regardless if we took all the guns away and made them illegal, just like drugs, people will still get them. gun control is bullshit.
China has gotten by with it pretty well. But did I say I only blame the guns? No. Of course I blame the people that abuse it, they're disgusting.
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Gun control isn't going to change that. Or make you feel any safer. Hell where I live half of the people are too poor to afford guns. But does that make me feel safe? Hell no, I'm afraid I'm going to get stabbed or beat down with a blunt object every time I walk to the park. Gun control isn't going to stop violence, nothing will. You just learn to protect yourself and hope for the best.
This ban guns shit is literally one of the most annoying things I've been hearing about recently. Even if guns get banned, or controlled, or whatever these particular people are hoping for, the people who actually want guns to hurt people, commit robberies, etc. are still going to get a hold of them. And oh look, now they are even MORE dangerous because you don't have firepower to defend yourself.
:icontheliarwolfram:
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Filmographer
Gun control doesn't stop mass homicide, unfortunately. If you make guns harder to find, the illegal weapons trade will get larger, leading to more deaths. People who want a gun will not have a hard time getting one. And just so you know, Canada has very lax gun laws, but very few homicides by gun. Gun control is not the answer. The end of America's fear campaign, scapegoating, and media-perpetuated violence will help that.
:iconcalstor:
Calstor Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
That's not really to say that gun control laws don't work. In Japan they have very restrictive gun and weapon laws and they have a very low homicide by guns rate.

Last time I looked through it the US had more deaths cause by accidental gun discharges than Japan had collectively.
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Japan is also an island, making it more difficult to smuggle things across the border. We're up against Mexico, which is really close to South America, which means banning guns would only give the cartels more goods to smuggle.
Oh, I'm not all for "YAY GUNS LET'S SHOOT GUNS!" as I'd personally never own one. I'm just under the impression that it's people who kill people, not guns. It's all about the different mindsets. It's easy to get a gun regardless of your country, because the illegal gun trade is a big deal around the world. If you want to get a gun in a country that has strict gun control, you can do it. America's culture is the problem.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Just out of curiousity, what makes you think Canada has lax gun laws?
Not so much lax as "not as strict as America's." They recently destroyed their long gun records, so no one has to report it.
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I wish we had better gun laws...
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
See "London, Britain"
I live in Canada and I can tell you gun control doesn't stop mass shootings. It's actually really interesting when you look at our homicide statistics. Since we've gotten strict about registering long and handguns, gun and knife crimes just alternate in frequency every few years. When gun crime drops, knife crime rises to compensate. When knife crime drops, gun crime rises. I'm not saying gun control isn't a good idea, but it's not the solution.
[link]
Just as a point of reference, 1975 is when the long gun registry was started.
:iconcederbom:
Cederbom Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
That graph is extremely misleading though. If the percentage of gun victims drop, of course the knife victims is going to grow proportionally.
For that graph to be actually telling us something, it would need the precise number of victims, since that rate can drop or rise from year to year.
That's a valid argument. I pulled it from this StatsCanada page, which is a few years old but still relevant [link].
This is a CBC news article from 2010 covering the same topic [link]
"The number of homicides committed with knives has risen in Canada and equals the number committed with guns for the first time since 1974, according to a new report from Statistics Canada."
Ah, never mind found them numbers. :oops:
That's better, though both articles are being vague when it comes to the actual numbers. Then there's this statement:

Despite these increases, the use of knives to commit violent crimes generally has remained steady for a decade, the report said.

So the actual number of crimes haven't risen? I'm confused.
I'm really not getting a clear picture of how much the knife crimes have increased, nor how much the gun crimes have decreased.

Not saying knife and gun crimes don't react to one another, but I'm not seeing the entire picture yet. That, or my english language comprehension isn't 100%. :oops:
No, you're right. It's tough to find actual numbers. I think you'd have to look through individual province/city's records, which is a bit labourious.
Yeah, I only found the 2008 numbers. How embarrassing.

It's a shame, a survey like that would be a lot more interesting.
:iconmattyohh:
Mattyohh Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Australia has strict gun control. Most of our criminals are sensible people and just shoot each other. We have a lot of beatings though.
:iconmisterturtle:
MisterTurtle Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
You do realize how really, really, REALLY rare gun crime actually is? Do you realize just how isolated and irregular attacks like Columbine are?
They don't seem so rare anymore.
Gun crimes have been regular forever.
Not like this.
Yes, like this.
Okay, well I'm locking this thread now. Stay safe out there.
:iconimpotentrage:
ImpotentRage Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Lol Organ. :iconteheplz:

"You don't need no gun control. You know what you need? We need some BULLET CONTROL!" - Chris Rock [link]
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Filmographer
It really wouldn't help, since criminals would attain them anyway. :lol:
It would lower the numbers.
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Filmographer
No, it really wouldn't.
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
The vast majority of crimes committed with guns are committed with guns that are already illegally owned. Meaning banning them or restricting them more would only deter people who care enough to go through the proper channels; i.e. people who don't cause problems. Making it really hard to own a rifle isn't going to stop Johnny the crazy shootem'up boy if he's just gonna buy a cheap knockoff rifle with cash off the street from a smuggler anyways.

Banning guns wouldn't even make the crazies any safer to be around because it's so damn easy for them to kill crowds of people in other ways. It's relatively simple to make a bomb, and if you failed chemistry, you could always do the standby "drive an SUV through a crowd of people really fast" routine.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
this
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Its less a matter of control and more a matter of regulation, education, and screening out the nutjobs.
Add a Comment: