I'm so stupid, I'm brilliant

You would think that I would have learned the last time I lost the draft of my novel, but nooo. I switched OS-es recently and forgot to back my shit up. Cue the kneejerk, too-late-to-go-back, OH SHIT reaction as it dawns on me that I just lost half a years worth of work. Proceed with maniacal sobbing and eating of cookie dough ice cream.

Next day, I realize, after a night of beating myself to hell and back, that I had uploaded the entire draft onto sta.sh to make it easier to share. Being too lazy to delete my things promptly saved my ass.

TL;DR: One count of stupid saved me from making another stupid mistake.

Complaint: I'm complaining that I was stupid enough to make the same damn mistake I made a little while ago.

Bonus complaint: I'm out of ice cream :iconsadhungryplz:
Comments39
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I want ice cream. ;n;
You can invest in one of those cloud router things (don't know what they're exactly called). As long as it's hooked up to your modem (assuming you weren't lazy enough to keep Dial-up internet :P), whatever files you put on it can be accessed anywhere.

You should also try Dropbox.

Or you could just try backing everything up every few months or so.
You can get a 32GB flash drive for $30 now. The one I have clips to my lanyard and I keep all my important shit on it. Just a suggestion.
Noooooope. Nope nope nope. I have my shit backed up in multiple places. Laptop drive, PC drive, touchpad, and several cloud storages (Box.net, Ubuntu One, Sta.sh, the account that came free with my laptop, etc.). I don't ever want to play the Oh Shit Game myself. :no:
I was going to laugh at you, but much like our RPs, this complaint is completely devoid of any conflict to laugh at :(.

(ouchburn)

:heart:
I'll take that suggestion into consideration but, much like your penis, it won't be used anytime soon.

(you need some ice for that burn, hon? :lol:)
I'll pretend that that was a suggestion, just like I pretend you're an attractive human being.

(Nah, ice is actually REALLY bad for burns. Run it under lukewarm/cool water)
While we're pretending, let's pretend you're worth the molecules you're made of. Far out idea, huh?

(Really?)
That's hardly a burn, you're just insulting me now :unimpressed:

(Yeah. The temperature shock and freeze-aspect of putting ice on a burn is more damaging than if you had only been burned and done nothing to it.)
...I said it once, why do you need me to say it again?
View all replies
Get more ice cream. Then share it with me.
You should invest in an external hard drive. :nod:
Well now you know!

Man, it must've felt so good to have your story back, but still have had that excuse to eat all that cookie dough!

You've reminded me to back my own shit up................but I'm too lazy. That may come back to haunt me.
Be more careful! :shakefist:
When you get fat from all that ice cream, it's just more to cuddle :meow:
That's some kind of master act of insanity.
Oh you always think "I would be stupid if I found my memory stick here" but tbh, you don't give a shit. At least you found it :D