but, PERIODS!

To cut a short story shorter, I was casually on facebook when I see some page has uploaded a picture that says:

"Hi, welcome to life.
Choose your difficulty"

With an icon of a woman, labelled easy, and a man, labelled hard.

Now of course, this has brought up a fair sized shitstorm with both men and women pointing out how ridiculous it is that men have it harder. However, although there's a couple of proper, well thought out comments in amongst the trash of "I agree!" And "I disagree!", pretty much every woman has commented with something along the lines of "you don't have to go through periods and moodswings!"

Are you fucking serious?

The suffragettes did not tie themselves to posts, go on hunger strikes, throw themselves in front of horses for women to say "but, PERIODS!"
Women don't always get equal pay, face sexism in the workplace, don't always get taken seriously, oversexualised in the media amongst a bunch of other things, but the most important thing to these people is a monthly cycle.

Jesus christ. They're almost as uninformed as the people who think that being a men is hard.

Inb4: facebook, :icontheresyourproblemplz:

Anti-complaint: I've been doing some christmas wrapping and my tree is up! :la:
Comments180
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think it's still accurate - because of the image society pounds upon us after the feminist movement.
Admittedly - before the movement, there was an incredible injustice against women.
Nowadays, it's the other way around.

Sure - men get often paid better. But that's because of the risk for the employer when the woman get's pregnant. Then, she get's a lot of free time (which ist just), the employer has to look for a temporary replacement, all while STILL PAYING the woman - which means she gets, Let's say, 150% of a man's payment.
Nonetheless, I am for equal payment (but no payment whilst being pregnant).

Further on - menstruation.
Yep, it sucks for women, sure. But for the pain - I guess a guy sitting on his nut has the pain of at least on day mensturating at once. Getting kicked in the nuts could replace a whole week of menstruating - men sometimes even vomit because of the pain.
Mood swings? Well... we have to put up with those moodswings.

Women are generally more emotive - men often JSUT DON'T GET IT. It's not because we're little considerate - we're just rational, and don't see how emotions are supposed to help in everyday life, so we block them out, or treat them like... well, yeah, a puppy. Cute and little things, but mostly useless (still, you don't want to miss out on them completely).

Sex - men are ALWAYS seen as jerks, and bastards, for only thinking about this. WE are the victims here - the manly instinct, the lust, is a heavy heavy burden. For women, it migh be a luxury, something pleasant - for men, not getting sex feels like a heavy constipation. It's something we bilogically, and psychologically NEED. We don't choose to want sex - it's almost a psychological pain, a form of torture.
This drive is often one of the most important things to men.
And then, not only do we have to do all the work for it, we have to curtsy the women, we have to fight with everything we have to win - we still get punished by society for it.
"the evil men", the pigs, the lusty bastards... it's not pleasant. We get judged so much and still bear with it.
Women get to choose their men. You're not attractive? Loose some weight, and voila, you'll find your man.
Men have to fight for women. You're not attractive? Months and months of steady, everyday workout. And still - if you're not funny (which you can't really choose or train) you're pretty much fucked and can go hang yourself.
Why are many guys such jerks? Because most women make it really hard for men, so we resort to everything possible to get what we NEED.
Sex does not have to have anything emotional about it, it can be compared to food.
Sure, sex with love is like a delicious meal - but we have to eat something, so if there's no love food, tuna from a can will have to do.

Also - men are always expected to care for everything, to earn the money, they have a lot more responsibilities.
A good looking female won't have to do anything in life, and still get's through. A man would die hungry.
Women can USE men - it works very rarely the other way around.

Being a man means pain, discipline, feeling rejected and having to pick yourself up. You have to be very tough in everyday life.
You have to put up with a lot and fight against stereotypes, bear through all kind of stuff.

One last thing - about sexual harassment.
Women complain about men just staring at them, about men trying to get close to women.
Can you imagine a life completely without that? Men almost never get that. We rarely feel wanted, or attractive.
Just recently, I, a man, got gropped in a club - can you imagine my reaction?
Yeah, I threw a round for all my friends and celebrated finally being attractive enough for that!
It felt awesome, it felt rewarding.

That is my point of view - and I'm one of the rather attractive and smart guys, had many girlfriends and am rather poplular among the other sex.
many have it worse then me - what would they say?

Just try and see things from another perspective - so will I, if reasonable arguments fall :)
And then, not only do we have to do all the work for it, we have to curtsy the women, we have to fight with everything we have to win - we still get punished by society for it.
"the evil men", the pigs, the lusty bastards... it's not pleasant. We get judged so much and still bear with it.
Women get to choose their men. You're not attractive? Loose some weight, and voila, you'll find your man.
Men have to fight for women. You're not attractive? Months and months of steady, everyday workout. And still - if you're not funny (which you can't really choose or train) you're pretty much fucked and can go hang yourself.

#OHDEAR.

Do you have any idea how attractiveness even works? People choose each other. Women are not a prize to be won or fought for. You're not one of these 'nice guys', are you? "I'm so ugly, but I'm really nice, I swear! Women should be falling over me because I'm so lovely!'
People are attracted to different things. Some people like chunky, some people don't. Some people like hollister models, some people like imperfections like Owen Wilson. No matter how much 'working out' someone does, that doesn't make them any more attractive to the whole of the female population.
Don't you think that works the other way, too?

Also - men are always expected to care for everything, to earn the money, they have a lot more responsibilities.
A good looking female won't have to do anything in life, and still get's through. A man would die hungry.
Women can USE men - it works very rarely the other way around.

That's literally the most old fashioned viewpoint I've heard in a long while. I won't even bother with how wrong that is.

Being a man means pain, discipline, feeling rejected and having to pick yourself up. You have to be very tough in everyday life.
You have to put up with a lot and fight against stereotypes, bear through all kind of stuff.

Aha, like women never have to deal with that either? Rubbish. You talk like women have never been objectified or 'rated' in terms of their attractiveness. Or that women even never have to go through any sort of harship in life. Like we don't work for what we want, don't provide for the family or have any personal burden to carry.
1. Obviously not everyone likes the same tings - but women with a good body will always find a man who want's them - and almost every man will look at you, if you're hot enough.
Finding your soulmate is a whole other thing, but that's not what I was talking about - this is just as hard for men, as it is for women.
Me, a "nice guy"? Funny story, actally.
I am one of those guys who had terrible self-esteem in school (which is in Germany up to around 18/19 years of age. I felt ugly, and miserable. I felt the need for some love, some deeper connection, which I never had. I tried to be the best listener, the most caring, the nicest and most helpfull person there was.
But, due to my rather shy nature and, to be honest, more intellectual interests, I still never found anybody. I've been rejected tons of times.
Then, I decided to change.
I defeated my shy nature, I overcame my introversion (as far as this is possible), I told myself "I'm awesome!" for hours straight...
Nowadays, I am still a caring person - but calculating. I learned how to manipulate, how to lie - and now, I have a lot of women around...
My life changed so much for the better.
I may not be funny, but I'm smart enough to fake it.
Sure, my girlfriends may not be my soul-mates, and I'm aware of that - but thanks to adjusting to the average, I'm not lonely anymore.
And this "at least not being alone" is way easier to achieve for women.
Tat was my point.

2. See, I'm talking about possibilities - not, that it should be this way. I think men and women are supposed to be equal, and it would be right if they worked just as much, and got paid just as much, and got treated the same way.
But there are some facts (look at dumb whores marying rich old guys - they won't have to work a day in their life!) and some stereotypes (men are supposed to be gentlemen...)
It may not be fair or right, and I'm not supporting those things, but they are true.

3. Well, I don't see anything wrong with being rated in every way. Wether it's attractiveness, intelligence or dilligence, or whatever.
Obviously people are rated. I don't see a problem with that. Also, being seen as a object of sexual desire by a stranger would be a compliment to me...
As I already said higher - it doesn't HAVE to be that way, and it actually SHOULDN'T - but women CAN make their lives easier then most men can.
My cycle is nothing compared to knowing that I can't put out 100% effort when my job gets into full swing, because the minute I start to rise, people will instantly assume that I slept my way to the top.
[link]
((also I'm guessing your periods must not be that bad or something? I mean, I get that they're not everything and cannot overrule everything, but getting chained to my bed with unpreventable pain for two or three days isn't fun.))
Tl;dr that video for me? I don't like clicking to youtube when I'm on my phone.

Also, no. They're pretty much nothing to me except an annoyance five days every month unless I feel like taking my birth control over the break period.

However, that actually wasn't the point of the thread. The point was it's not a valid argument to use something pretty much every woman has been through, soldiered on through in a case of whether man or woman has it worse. It was all the things that have ever happened to women as a whole, the inability to vote, misogyny of the bible, workplace sexism, not being taken seriously, unequal job oppertunities, pretty much everything women have ever been through throughout history yet people still think their monthlies are the worst thing to happen to women EVER!

If you ever want to use the 'but my period makes our lives harder!' thing, use it in the sense of women waaaaaay back in the day being seen as unclean, not being allowed to be in temples or places of worship because a bodily function made them dirty.
men do also have moodswings!
The worst kind of pain both sexes feel:

- Stepping on a lego
- Charlie horses
- Foot cramps
- Burn on the inside of your mouth
- Papercuts in awkward places
- That mini-heart attack you get when something startles the fuck out of you
Ehhh, why did you remind me of stepping on lego..? :iconimhorrifiedplz:
I was babysitting this one boy over the summer and he walked across some legos no problem.

I was stunned.
:noes:
Does that kid have feet made of steel or something?
I guess...and he was pretty tough for his age.
I hate that. "I have periods therefore you don't know shit about pain" I mean Jesus Christ. I am a woman and yeah periods suck but they're pretty much necessary for the continuation of life, It's like a man complaining that he gets spontaneous erections and that makes his life all sorts of~ Hard.

But seriously I hate that women try to alleviate their gender status by saying "We bleed out our coochies therefore you owe us everything and we have to get everything and have to be sympathized at all times" Fucking no. Also just a minor note here, I just ~love~ when some women instead of just being straight up bitchy and being honest about it blame everything on PMS. Everything. Fucking excuses.
:iconrimshotplz:

But yeah. It's ridiculous what sorts of stuff women come out with. Personally, I don't get any of the bitchiness or moping at all. Not that I'm dismissing women that do, but using it as a get out of jail free card..? :no:
Seeing responses like that on the picture. Ugh.
It enrages me, What happened to the days of just taking some fucking Pepto-bismol, Aspirin and getting the fuck on with things instead of "MY VAGINA IS BLEEEDING EVERYONE BE NICE TO ME AND CODDLE MEEE!" and that's exactly the phrase I was looking for, Period anger = Get out of jail free card.
This thread is bad and you should feel bad
Is that the best thing you can say when you can't think of clever and relevant to the discussion? :pat:
:nod: I was too tired to think of anything original, honestly its not that bad
I just hate it when these discussions automatically turn to periods, giving birth and getting kicked in the nuts. :grump: They can't even possibly be compared to each other. They have nothing in common, except for the pain. Why does it always have to be about that? There is so much more to each gender, than possible pain because of their genitals :roll:
I know right? Surely there's more to life than just pointing out the pain factors. There's so much more to the debate than 'but my balls!' Or 'but cramps!'. :grump:
Exactly :crying:
WHYYYYYY
it's facebook. what do you expect.
A friend of mine once argued that women have periods to balance out the pain men get when their nuts get hit or sat on(loose boxers and/or bouncy rides are your worst enemies). Granted we don't get hit in the balls monthly, but how many women keel over at the moment their period starts?

As for which genger has it the harder, both but in different ways. Being a man isn't walk in a park either, but neither is life as woman(or so I am told). And sexism in the work place aplies the other way around too, especially if you are the only guy there.