Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Cell Phone Drivers

:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
For the record, I am not against the use of a handheld cellular device while driving. In California and Nevada you risk a ticket, but in my opinion it's more convenient to take the risk than to pull over. Also, where I live is rural enough that you rarely have enough traffic for it to be dangerous.

THAT SAID!

There is a limit to how long you should talk on a phone while driving a car. If you need to make a 90 second call, that's fine. You'll be done before soon enough to go back to focusing on the road without incident. I don't think I've ever made a driving call more than 45 seconds, even. However, I'll be driving behind or alongside people and see them talking on their phones for miles. And during that time they continue to lose focus. PAY ATTENTION TO THE GODDAMNED ROAD!

Additionally, if you are in a position where you need to focus (a busy parking lot, a construction site, or something like that), then use your brain and put together that you need ALL of your senses to do what you're doing. Otherwise you'll do it haphazardly (which is annoying) or awkwardly (in which case you'll likely hit something and I don't want it to be me). Put your goddamned phone away!
------------------------------------------------
Non-Complainty Complaint: I'm going to be "That Guy," go out on a limb and say that weight and mass are pretty much interchangeable and that whole "distance above sea level" thing is total bullshit. Yes, the force of gravity is lower at higher altitudes, but the difference is so negligible that in rough mathematics you won't even see it, feel it, or have any real need to acknowledge it at all. As far as this planet is concerned, at least.

Devious Comments

:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:lock: OP request.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012
Really?

You aren't against its use yet had to make a thread about this?
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'm against using a HANDHELD cellular device. Get an earpiece or something :nod: If you need to concentrate and use your brain to drive, it may be a good idea to have both hands free to react :thumbsup:

Generally speaking, I don't answer my phone while I'm driving. If it's something important, the caller can leave a message. And it's rare that I would need to make a call when I'm driving anyway.
:iconsomnusvorus:
Somnusvorus Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012   Digital Artist
It's illegal here. If you get pulled over while using a mobile phone with out a hand's free set, say good bye to half of your license.
Half?
Ireland has a point system. You have 12 points, using a mobile with out a hand free set takes away six of your points. Do it again, you will be suspended from driving for a set period of time. =P
The way the point system is here is that if you commit a traffic violation you get 1-3 points added to your license. Points increase your insurance costs and after enough of them you get suspensions on your license.
I have little knowledge of the actual driving business as I don't know how to drive even though I'm well over the age of 18. It's just too expensive here to learn to drive, own a car, insure it, tax it and then maintain it. All I know about the license system here is from talking to people who drive. :shrug:
:iconunicorninfektion:
UnicornInfektion Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I always hate it when people are talking on their cell phone while driving because some stupid bitch hit me when I was crossing the road. Thank fuck I didn't get seriously hurt just had huge ass bruises all over my left side. :lol:
What's worse is texting. Oh man my brother would ALWAYS be texting while driving and if I ever was with him, I'd be the passenger driver always telling him what to do cause he was texting. Hands free devices are better but I wont rely on them. I'd rather just pull over to answer calls and texts if they are important enough. It's a minor inconvenience but saves me so much trouble.
:icondoctorowl:
DoctorOWL Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
"You'll be done before soon enough to go back to focusing on the road without incident"

How do you know an accident won't occur before the 90 seconds are up? That's like saying "I'm only going to walk into this cage full of hungry wolves for 90 seconds, I'm sure I'll be out soon enough to prevent being attacked." It's still a risk. Any amount of time spent not focusing on the road while driving a giant metal death trap and endangering other people's lives is never a good idea. Talking on the phone may be less distracting than texting, but it's still a distraction. So is having a deep conversation with somebody or focusing too hard on a talk radio show or something.

People have this thing called the invincibility fallacy (I've heard it called different things but that is how I learned it). It means people believe that bad things can happen but never to THEM. Only other people get hurt. Other people get in car accidents but never me! Other people get cancer from smoking cigarettes but not me! Simply because people don't want to confront their own mortality. Nobody wants to believe they could die.

I believe if you are going to, like I said, operate a giant metal death trap which puts your own life at risk AND OTHER PEOPLE then you damn well better pay attention. If you want to get yourself killed, I don't give a flying rat's left testicle. But put me at risk? Put children at risk? No. Driving is not a right, it's a privilege. And a responsibility.
Add a Comment: