Closed to new replies
December 11, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 82

People that pass of edited photos as traditional artwork

:iconanneuh:
Anneuh Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
This really rustles my jimmies, the artist in question, StephanieScarpetta. Does this all the time and mentioning it to her will just result in comments blocked.

[link]
[link]

trying to pass these off as oil pastel works is just offensive. Especially when uploading this kind of stuff:
[link] months before

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsinisterstick:
SinisterStick Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Also, complaining about art theft is pathetic. Just report the hell out of it and move on.
:iconsinisterstick:
SinisterStick Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not your personal army.
Anneuh Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Bit late for the party
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
She deactivated :<
What a cowardly way to deal with it
:iconkitsune-okayasu:
Kitsune-Okayasu Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:shrug:
:iconzeldat:
zeldat Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012   Traditional Artist
I'm glad someone is bringing this up. I noticed the guy from Iran (that this person stole from?) or whoever made these portraits, because he/she had done a portrait of Richard Armitage (whom I fangirl hard for :lol: ) and while I think the guy can draw, many of his artworks look like he applied a filter to a photo, but he's passing them off as original digital paintings.

People who draw and paint freehand (whether digital or traditional) are more apt to have WIPs that look like this: or this: (If they are better at drawing than I am, they won't have as many proportion errors as I do at the start, but the "progress" will usually look similar.) Usually a genuine artist who is drawing and painting "from scratch" will have big blocks of color area, or sketching lines, structure/alignment lines, and that sort of thing. I suppose there are a few artists who don't work this way, but most artists I've ever seen do.

When I see a "WIP" which is too perfect, too neat, I suspect something is up. It's not "proof," but I suspect strongly. And when the finished portrait is identical to the reference photo, even down to little strands of hair, and trivial wrinkles in the clothes, and background texture, to me that is a strong indication that they're either doing a photo manip or they're tracing very carefully. I can sometimes get the basic features of a face to "match up" with the photo (if you line them up in Photoshop) but never do I get every itty bitty hair strand and the texture of the fabric exact, and all that crap. That's simply not human, IMO.
Spot on
:iconfarewell-spring:
Farewell-Spring Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
:popcorn:
It gets even better! she never even made ANY of the works herself [link] they all belong to this person:
shahin
Artist of the week - Nov. 23 to 29, 2008
Male
Iran Country: Iran
scrolling down shows multiple works that our stephanie has uploaded as her own, ill make sure to contact him and inform him about the fraud.
And bingo! [link] i managed to find the original tutorial that she claims as her own, she loves herself a cheeky bit of fraud doesnt she
In the tutorial it says ''I prefer a big paper (over 2000.2000pix)'',. Yet all her works are 400x600 or other random small sizes. I'm pretty sure both tutorials are stolen, woudnt be shocked either.
It's funny how the tutorials she put up it's both drawings that she's never posted before, and they both dont match her style either, i claim stolen.
Looking at how the colours are applied in the images it still looks dodgy.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
She could be tracing...it's not particularly a difficult thing to do.
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Report her work as a miscat, we are not your personal army. :B
:iconsvataben:
Svataben Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They're nice pics, if only she had been honest about how they were made.

I mean, if she had said something like: "I made these to work with faces, colours, and digital tools, and I think they turned out rather awesome!" everyone would have just congratulated her on the nice results.
:iconpiratesadventure:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
Well, even then she would have been lying, considering it turned out her entire gallery is stolen from a variety of artists. :B
:iconrendjur:
rendjur Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Eh, who cares.
:iconsteffm18:
Steffm18 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
She just put this up.
[link]
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah a couple of problems with that:

1. There was an overlay done with one of her digital paintings in where the photo reference matched up exactly with the artwork that she posted

2. She took that one and changed it to a photomanipulation. What I don't understand is if that is her process, why did she change that one to photomanipulation? That doesn't any sense.

3. She lied about using oil pastels and it being traditional "mixed media" at first.
I take that back. She changed one to photomanipulations. :lol:
:iconcalstor:
Calstor Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
She told me that she's going to change them all to digital.
Then she'll probably get to it eventually.
She changed it to photomanipulations.

That was a little decent of her.
:iconbrianmollinson:
BrianMollinson Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I hate it.
:iconschnitty:
Schnitty Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist
Those photos are so obviously photoshopped. I really don't understand how anyone can fall for that.
They're not even very well done, either. >_>
I gues some people are just really really guilable
:iconsspirate:
SSPirate Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
oh wow
:iconapricots-from-nara:
Apricots-from-Nara Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Wat?
:iconkoyukuk:
Koyukuk Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist
Holy shit, it's so fucking obvious. How the hell can someone believe she used oil pastels to make that?!
:iconunrehearsedsplendour:
UnrehearsedSplendour Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional General Artist
Ugh I hate talentless people like that!
:iconmszilvi95:
MSzilvi95 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
(Sorry for my bad English)

I can't believe, this is the second time, when I follow an "artist", who don't her drawings put on dA. It's not fair! I know the feeling, when I think she is very talented and I can't draw so good than she, and after I know, her drawings aren't real. It was my mistake with the other artist. But the other artist has more than two thousand followers, and this artist has just 100-200. I saw under her drawings, she used PS and SAI, and I thought, she used these to make the skin more realistic, or make a background etc. I don't know how have this artists bravery to put edited drawings as his own.
But I think it's good, when here some people, who notice these things, I think it helps for the artists, who can't see, which drawing is not real.
Sometimes when I see stuff like this it actually makes me want to break out my acrylics and oils and do an genuine painting.
:iconporto881:
Porto881 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Amen bro.
:icondatas-girl:
Datas-Girl Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
While that stuff is a bad thing, at least it is an inspiration! :D
:iconh-swilliams:
H-SWilliams Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I've seen this sort of stuff so much it doesn't even make me mad anymore. It just makes me feel sad.
Sad that the artists feel they're not good enough, or progressing fast enough, that they need to try to trick people, and even more sad for people who get so disillusioned when they find out an artist they admired was deceiving them.
I feel the same way, i just kinda feel offended by people that do such things. Also i'll just leave this here
[link]
:iconpriteeboy:
priteeboy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think it's funny, but kinda a kick in the balls to real artists (painters, digital painters and photographers alike) that there are actually businesses that offer the same services and people buy into them. You know, the "turn your beloved family moment into a painting" and the masses buy into it and hand over hundreds of dollars because they think an actual artist looked at their photo and painted the same on canvas detail to detail instead of running a few Photoshop filters over the original file and selling it back to them in printed form :paranoid:

Ahh I'm so glad I know how Photoshop works. The media and commerce world is saturated with Photoshoppers delivering false promises that I know are visual lies not to buy into. Whether it be weight loss products using an "after" shot which has been photoshopped to make the model skinnier than they actually got, skin products where any remaining blemishes where airbrushed out anyway, hell even homes for sale where the front lawn in the picture had an obvious "cloned" pattern from an attempt to make it look fresher because half of the real lawn was dead. I spot these sorts of things so easily these days :sherlock:
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
You can tell by the pixels and by seeing quite a few of photoshop jobs in your time. :nod:
:iconpink-anthony:
pink-anthony Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Also the fact that there's no full view makes it pretty clear that they're not pastels...
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Well, it looks like she ran a filter over it in some digital art program...

You can report a miscat. But that's about it.

As for her blocking complaints- she's not really going to get very far if she tries to do art professionally. She might find one or two people who want her stuff, but not really. So don't worry about it. It'll bite her in the end.
:iconk-koji:
K-Koji Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'd tend to agree with you. If those were real oil paintings, there's no way she'd submit 8-12 in a 2 month period :stare: . I knew someone who did celebrity portraits with real oils and she took 2-3 months to complete one.
I think all the person above is doing is taking a photograph- putting it in PS or Sai, smudging it around and adding a texture :/
I agree that this person is a total fake.

Because I'm a geek, I wanted to explain a little more about oil painting. I do "real" oil paintings (of celebrities too! :D ) and usually it doesn't take that long for me. (Some oil paintings can take that long—it depends on the techniques and style of the artist.) I usually have several paintings going on at a time. I add a special medium with my paint which safely dries the paint faster, so I can work on it the next day. I can get a painting done in a week (if it's not too big) if there's a deadline. Also, there's a type of oil paint called alkyd (fast drying oils) which can dry within half a day usually. Some artists paint alla prima, all in one sitting.

I can do simple oil sketches in one sitting, but I don't think I could paint a good likeness of a person like that. Others can, though. So the speed that this person that this person is doing the paintings is not a smoking gun for me, it's how the work exactly matches up to the photo (even down to hair strands and little folds in the clothing). The person she ripped off--I fear that they did photoshop (or Corel Painter or whatever) filters over a photo for some of their portraits. Some of their WIP tutorials don't look real either.

I don't care if someone wants to mess with a photo of a celebrity on the computer, or trace it, or whatever it is, but when they try to pass it off as hand-done or drawn freehand, it's not just lying (and that annoys me), it leaves new artists with a false impression of how "perfect" such artwork can be. I wrote about this in one of my WIPs: [link] I take this seriously because I think it's doing a disservice to artists who are learning to draw or are struggling to draw and paint. These 'fake' WIPs or 'tutorials' showing bogus "this is how I did it" crap are horrible on so many levels. Not only are they a lie, done to get praise for the faker artist, but they're potentially harming artists who are trying to learn.

Really pisses me off, if you didn't notice! :lol:
K-Koji Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
yeah, I agree - I really think the guy she stole the work from is just doing smudge/filters/ etc in Painter :/

The person I knew took so long because her oil paintings were very large- and she worked full time. ( SO some days she couldnt work, or other days not for too long- and maybe she was just slow who knows).
Yeah, I think the guy is smudging/dodging/filters. I think some of his earlier works are "from scratch" but the later ones are just digital wizardry passed off as from scratch.

Yes, some oil painters do take a long time to complete a painting, especially if they're big paintings! It can be very time consuming. There are some techniques where the artists "builds up" layers of paint, thin layers, and that takes time. Other methods are much quicker. Usually we have several projects going at one time, so we can be working on one while the other is drying. :)
:iconpiratesadventure:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Heh, she isn't even careful about it.

[link]

6th picture in google, searching by the term Anna Hathaway. :stare:
H-SWilliams Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I believe she was claiming them to be oil pastels, not oil paintings. Very different medium.
K-Koji Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
so? It kind of doesnt matter because in the end, these are photos :/
H-SWilliams Featured By Owner Dec 12, 2012
:roll: It 'kind of matters' because you seemed to think oil pastels are the same thing as oil paints, and were going on about it.
But yes, they are photos, so whatever faux medium it is doesn't matter there.
Add a Comment: