Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

Hello? Anybody Out There?

:iconghostinthepines:
GhostInThePines Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
So even though my gallery has pretty much been overrun with photography now and it's one of my favorite hobbies, I rarely find anything to talk about with other photographers here on dA... Why?

... Because the photography forum is full of topics discussing primarily equipment, set-up, shoots, and photo-editing.

What the hell is a wildlife photographer supposed to discuss with people who don't seem to do nearly as much candid/spontaeneous work on a regular basis as him/her?

Sometimes it feels like they don't even consider wildlife photography to be part of the larger world of photography... like having to go through scheduling shoots and arranging set-ups and then doing a crapload of post-editing is what makes an image a 'true photograph.'

And then you have the photographers who go to zoos and wildlife centers and act like photos of captive animals are so awe-inspiring, and yet two dozen other visitors that day probably have the same pose on their crappy little point-and-shoot cameras. And if you put those images in the hands of a 'photoshop master,' you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between the 'tourist' shot and the 'photographer' shot.

So... where are all of my fellow wildlife photographers?!?!? Especially all of you out there who are a hell of a lot better than me!?!?!... I'd like to learn from you, you know!

... Hello?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondoctorowl:
At first glance I thought your username was GhostInthePenis
GhostInThePines Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Wouldn't that be a man's dream-come-true!...

"I'm sorry, dear. My dick is haunted. I can't help it!"
:icondoctorowl:
"It has a mind of its own!" :eyes:
:iconelmida:
Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone hoooome~
:iconsynapticboomstick:
SynapticBoomstick Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I have to agree with you, I've seen some great wildlife shots where the artist doesn't even mention a single word about where they were or what the encounter was like, not even what the species is :(. I'm just guessing and not talking from experience that the majority of people in the photo groups will be into the technical side of the media. I'll be honest, there's a lot about camera equipment that goes over my head and a lot of what comes with the one I have I never use. I just want to be able to point and capture what I see before the light changes or whatever I saw goes away.
GhostInThePines Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
A lot of photographers seem to like to talk about things such as shutter speed, aperture settings, SLR/DSLR, etc... and that's all well and good, but when a wildlife photographer is out in the field, he doesn't have time to change those things when a photo opportunity arises.

Most of the time I'll set my camera to its best action-capture or multi-capture settings, attach my longest-range lens, and just go. If I'm working in fading light, I turn the settings to automatic, maybe change my lens's light filter, and keep shooting until the movements of my subjects start to get blurry in the photos.

I ID all of my photos, because as someone who does quite a bit of environmental education, I find it contradictory not to tell people what they're looking at.
:iconsynapticboomstick:
SynapticBoomstick Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What you need is a group that specifically deals with spontaneous photography, the difference between someone sitting in a hide waiting for the wildlife with time to adjust settings and someone who goes looking for the wildlife who's too busy for such.

:iconelkplz::iconsaysplz: "I ain't got no time to pose, dammit!"

The IDs are especially true with bugs and flowers (I'm guilty with flowers), it drives me crazy to no end to see a really interesting one and have no clue what to search for to find more. A Google search for "shiny green beetle" doesn't narrow it down. :XD:
GhostInThePines Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
A group like that would be fun...

And even if you're waiting around in a hide or blind, you don't always have time to adjust camera settings. Like you pointed out, animals don't pose for the camera.

Bugs are almost always difficult to ID... Entemology is one of the hardest biology fields when it comes to studying the animal kingdom. Insects make up 90% of animal life on earth, so sometimes you're lucky to just be able to narrow the ID down to the Family group and the local common name.

Plants are a bit easier if you have a few good field guides and understand some of the key characteristics of specific families. But it's best to have a wide range of specialty field guides to help you. I'm still looking for a decent guide to grasses...
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I take some landscape photos...
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No. I'm not going to read that/
Add a Comment: