Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 56

Select your Ethnicity. (Choose only one)

:iconaworldofhope:
aWorldofHope Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I was asked to fill out a survey with this in it, and it may not seem to be a big deal for many or most of you but it's kind of offensive to us mixed race peoples out there. I'm Half Asian, half White. I love and relate to both cultures, as I was brought up by both sides equally. How can I possibly be asked to choose a single race? Why not just let me circle two damn it!
well that's my soap box speech. haha

Anyone else have thoughts? just please don't share offensive ones, as they might potentially hurt somebody.

Thanks Everyone!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconporto881:
Porto881 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've done, like, 150 job applications in my short life (no joke there, seriously), and usually they let you pick up to 2 different races. But my issue is, they don't let you pick both Caucasian and Latino. It's either one or the other for some reason. What is up with that noise?! I'm a little of both, and I like it that way.

So I guess what I'm saying is... I can relate :l I like being a mut.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I'm in the same boat with you... though, most of the paperwork I have to fill out has the "other" option for me :thumbsup: There were times when there wasn't that option, and I would pick the one that was outwardly obvious in my case (I'm half Black, half Asian... I look Black since I have a darker skin tone); I'd pick Black if I'm not offered an "other" option :shrug: And I can't say I've ever been offended by not having an "other" option.
:icondoctorowl:
DoctorOWL Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
The only reason they do these surveys is so they can have some idea of which population is higher. Not like it really even matters but people like to know. So refusing to answer because OMG OFFENSIVE QUESTION!!!! is really childish and not helping anyone. But them not allowing for a mixed heritage option is stupid too, because if somebody is, as in your case, half and half, then if they choose only one option they are being misrepresented. Imagine how many people are actually mixed but they are forced to choose one- the data is probably completely skewed! I would just circle both options and let the data collectors figure out what to do with it.
:iconvi0letdream:
vi0letdream Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Photographer
wasn't there a "prefer not to say" option?
:iconautumnalessence:
AutumnalEssence Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
:shrug: I've never had that problem. I'm mixed race (black/white) but any form I've ever had to fill out has always had a "mixed race" option.
:icondeizzan:
Deizzan Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
I hear you, I'm half Polynesian and half white. I used to mark Pacific Islander most of the time, but marked Caucasian other times for shits and giggles. Being brown, I always get odd looks when I mark Caucasian.
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Cthulhuian
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
[link]
Cthulhu fhtagn!
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
Bringing political correctness into shit.
:icontheresyourproblemplz:
:iconrockygems:
RockyGems Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student General Artist
Huh, on most official forms they usually have a "mixed" or "other" to choose.
Add a Comment: