Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 201

People and Diets...

:iconmonochromaticmoose:
MonochromaticMoose Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
OK, so I used to be a hefty size 16. I got thinner, but still had issues with diet, exercise and general health.

I recently started following a Lacto-Paleo/Primal diet+lifestyle and my health has improved all round! Lost that last few inches of fat, gaining muscle, got more energy, tooth sensitivity gone, hair greasiness gone, etc, etc... Plus, I can now eat as much as I like and not put on fat! :D Mystery solved: I needed to go Lacto-Paleo/Primal to "hack" my body into health.

Now, the annoyance. This hasn't happened to me as much as it has to some folks I know, but the fact it even happens to anyone annoys me and experiencing it makes it worse.
Person 1: "Wow! You're looking good! How did you do it?"
Paleo person: "*explains principles of Paleo*"
Person 1: "Oh! Isn't that really bad for you?"
Paleo: "*reiterates how their health far surpasses what it was before, states numbers and measurements, including stuff like cholesterol levels, proving they're actually healthier than average*"
Person 1: "But it MUST be bad for you! You'll be ill/die in a month, eating like that!"
***two months later***
Person 1: "Wow! You're looking so good! What are you doing?" *conversation carries on as above, as though you can't REALLY be doing what you say you're doing*

Or (more commonly):
Person 2: "I wish I could lose weight/gain muscle/gain strength... *sigh* How do YOU do it?"
Paleo: "Well, remember how I used to be, with weight issues, worrying about food...etc? I got rid of it by going (insert version of Paleo here)."
Person 2: "Aha. Was that all you did?"
Paleo: "No, but the diet fixed almost everything first, then I started exercising more, because I actually HAD the energy to exercise by then! *lists improvements from the diet alone*"
Person 2: "Wow! What do I have to do?"
Paleo: "*explains their version of the Paleo diet or points the person towards a Paleo-based site*"
Person 2: "I couldn't possibly not eat (insert arbritrary food here)!!!"
Paleo: "But it might be bad for you. *lists statistics for low-level gluten intolerance and the health issues related to it* You might not be, but you only find out if you try."
Person 2: "It isn't worth it! It wouldn't work for me anyway! I KNOW it! You're lucky to have such good genetics!" *walks off*
Paleo: *thinking* WTF?! Didn't you hear a WORD I said?!!!

:icontealdeerplz: Idiots being idiotic, nonsensical and uncooperative about a diet, even in the face of visible evidence it works, usually at the same time as complaining about their own poor health.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icone-c-h:
e-c-h Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional General Artist
btw, congrats with your diet so far :)
:icone-c-h:
e-c-h Featured By Owner Jan 11, 2013  Professional General Artist
OMG this reminds me randomly of one of my favorite Madtv sketches: [link] EAT LESS..MOVE MOAAAR!!!
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Jan 10, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
I hear you. I lost about 70 lbs a few years back (and I've managed to keep almost all of it off :)) and there was one girl at my old job who constantly bugged me about my exercise habits. When I was still hitting the gym everyday I would try to burn no less than 2500 calories. For some reason she couldn't understand that combining exercise, portion control and BASIC SENSE could lead to a more healthy you. Needless to say she's picked up a few more pounds since then :no:
:iconsspirate:
SSPirate Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Actually that sounds like a great diet for me. I'm lactose and gluten intolerant anyway. And from reading your posts I already pretty much do that diet already, I'd just have to make a few small changes. I'm not concerned about my weight- I'm pretty healthy as is and I like the way I look. I'm actually much more concerned about managing my IBS than anything else.
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012
The word 'diet' is negative and invokes failure, but making small changes to your daily habits does work... eventually. I have lost 20kg from changing my exercise habits and eating habits over the past year. I banned the word diet from my vocabulary, and called it a challenge instead.
MonochromaticMoose Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah, the idea of "going on a diet" is a pretty stupid notion. I guess the conflation between "going on a diet" and a "diet" as-in: "what you eat" causes issues for some.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
At the bare basic level, I think what needs to be done is to measure an individual glucose/insulin tolerance. If this is low, then he should change his diet to contain less carbohydrates. If this is high, then he can handle moderate amounts of carbohydrates. In addition, his gluten and lactose tolerances need to be evaluated as well as they cause inflammation and allergy in case of low-tolerance individuals.

Paleo diet seems to be rather interesting. For example, the level of insulin spike after eating a cooked sweet potato is considerably higher than its uncooked counterpart. Not to mention, it is much easier to overindulge the cooked one.

In terms of public health, perhaps the two worst mistakes the US has ever made involve: 1) Demonizing saturated fats and cholesterol; 2) Lopsided USDA food pyramid. The official recommendations have done nothing to reduce increasing rates of obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. Overall, squandering billions of public funds on ever-expensive and questionable drugs instead of looking for fundamentals.
If you think the food pyramid's bad, look up the NHS "EatWell Plate". You will weep tears for Britain's health.
:icondebit:
Debit Featured By Owner Dec 14, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The NHS 'eat well' plate looks almost like the USDA 'food pyramid' in that both of them are way too loaded with carbohydrates. These two groupthinking zombies are really telling the public -- Hey, let's get fat! :D
There was an awesome graph at gnolls.org that showed the 1977 "healthy diet advice" which recommended high-grain, low-fat (for the first time. It DIRECTLY correlated with a sharp rise in obesity only a few years later, which got faster and faster until today. The tag-line the blogger added? "Well, that worked."
Add a Comment: