Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 36

Go me, I accidentally insulted my roommate.

:iconsunshinenorcas:
sunshinenorcas Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
So I live in a house share with three other people. One of our roommate moved out last month so we've been looking for a new roommate. Room recently got filled and I was asking roommate who did all arranging about the new guy. Roommate says he's a Japanese transfer student and he's moving in sometime next week.
Flash-forward to a couple days ago, I come home and it's just me and the new guy, and we get to chatting. He mentioned he'd only been here a month and I asked him how he was handling the culture shock.

Him: ...Sorry? I don't understand?
Me: Oh, I mean... America is really different from... you're from Japan right? It's different from there?
Him: :iconhmmplz: ...I'm Chinese.
me: :iconfacepalmplz:

I nearly fell over my self apologizing and explained where I got the mix-up (the other roommate) but still. I MAKE GREAT FIRST IMPRESSIONS OK
(he did say it was OK and we continued on the conversation, but still, ugh. Go me)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconporto881:
Porto881 Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's pretty bad xD But things like that happen. Also, it wasn't entirely your fault, so there's that at least.
My advice? Be a little embarrassed! Feel kinda bad! That's how you learn, and ultimately it will make you a better person c:
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
You already fucked up by assuming he was japanese and thought his culture was different.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Could be a lot worse. :shrug:
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
^ ^ hey that's all right! He was gracious enough to accept your apology and everything
:icongreeneyedyoshika:
GreenEyedYoshika Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I wouldn't worry about it. it was a misunderstanding since you were given false information.
:iconmegstiel:
megstiel Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Well, I mean technically if you said the the way you typed, you were asking where he was from. Don't feel too bad about it, there are a lot more worse things you could have done.
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Lol that's a little embarrassing!
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I think this will be useful for you.

[link]
:iconnudedoctor:
NudeDoctor Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I'm surprised that a transfer student wouldn't know the term "culture shock". Usually, before a student goes to study in another country, someone (a teacher, parent, someone in charge of the exchange program) will inform them of it. No matter where they're from, or where they're going, culture shock is almost always a big adjustment, and it's typical that they are informed of it before leaving (or soon after arriving, at latest).

As long as he said that everything's okay between you two, you're fine. One embarrassing mistake isn't so bad.
:icondarkanddefiant:
darkanddefiant Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
not all of them seem to do that, actually. i lived with a couple of korean girls several years ago, and it was a learning experience for everybody. they didn't understand that the house owner wanted rent every month, not at the beginning of the term. nor did they understand other things that were pretty common to our area (tho i thought that the guide counselor at their school would help them with that, but for some weird reason she didn't teach them as much as i thought).
:iconnudedoctor:
NudeDoctor Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I didn't mean that they're told about the details of living in a new place. They're taught the concept of culture shock.

Instead of being told every detail about a new country, transfer students are usually told something like, "Hey, things are gonna be way different in [country], and it's hard to get used to. So be ready to adapt to new things."
Once I explained (and we got past the faux-pas) he got what I was asking, so it could have been I was talking to fast and he didn't understand or I just used a different term then he'd heard, but we did get on the same page eventually.
:iconmajatek:
Majatek Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Should've said Asian should've said Asian should've said Asian...

Better safe than sorry better safe than sorry BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY *in hysteria*
:iconquixotic-spark:
quixotic-spark Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Was he Chinese from China or Chinese grew up in America?
Chinese from China.
:iconintricatevision:
IntricateVision Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Digital Artist
To be fair, you average American who didn't grow up around people of Asian descent can't really interpret the difference in facial features by country.
I don't get offended when people mistake me for white, :P they shouldn't be too offended for being mistaken for Japanese.
XD I imagine though you were very embarrassed. But there's plenty of time to make up for it!
I heard him say his name before this, and I remember thinking 'Huh that doesn't sound Japanese' but I figured there were probably reasons and yeah. Shoulda stuck with my guts, but oops. He didn't seem that offended about it, I was just mortified.

(and oh hai, I know youuuu)
:iconintricatevision:
IntricateVision Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012   Digital Artist
(hai lol)
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I wouldn't make a big deal out of that. :shrug:

You've got the rest of the year to make it up to that guy, anyway.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Digital Artist
You already insulted him by assuming that he was from backwards place that was going to cause culture shock on him, regardless of what country that was or whether you got it right or wrong. By his response, you fucked up by assuming he was going through "culture-shock".

Seriously? Unless he came from like the middle of the freaking Amazon, from some part no one has been too and ever returned, he probably came from an area completely and utterly similar to the one you live in. What did you think? That he lived in a freaking pagoda and samurai would come riding through the village every once and a while, while woman carried buckets of water from the river wearing kimonos? It's freaking urban.
I've met people from different countries in my college experience and yes all of them say America is very different than where they are from whether it's Seoul Korea, Sudan, Pakistan, and most recently I've become friends with a dude from Trinidad and Tobago. And yes all if them have explained to me how differnt things are and sime cultural references they dint understand (and YES all were from metropolitan areas in those countries) Please. Cultures are different in every country. It wasn't wrong of this person to ask about how their roommate was handling it. Western culture is loads different than the rest of the world. Stop being such a politically correct ass.
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012   Digital Artist
Stop being such a white knighting ass. :D
Not white knighting. Stating the obvious pal. Don't be so sour about *gasp* being wrong.:roll:
I just got down eating some sour patch kids and the sweet hasn't kicked in yet.
:iconveronicarockstrom:
veronicarockstrom Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I'm a city girl from America, and I experienced culture shock just going up to Canada for a while. Even with such similar cultures, there were still differences that made us all look at each other funny every now and again.

Seriously, get out of your barn, or read a book next time you speak, lest you sound like a moron again. :evileye:
But then I might get culture shock :D
Lol
Uh, no. Do you know what culture shock means? Culture shock isn't a transition from RURAL to URBAN SPRAWL. Depending on where you come from, there are a lot of social norms and attitudes that are ingrained from a young age, and societal things- even as simple as food preferences. When you go to a new place, especially a new country, A LOT of those norms aren't the same so it can be a bit of an eye opener, hence the term 'culture shock'. I'm a city girl, always been a city girl, and I got a mild form of it moving from one state in one part of the US to another state across the country- I can't even imagine what it's like going from one country to a completely new one. Which is why I asked.
And by his first response of uh no, you could tell he's wondering wtf is this american idiot going on about. My point, you still fucked up by assuming that he was going through culture shock. Just because you can't handle moving to another city in the same country, you assume that someone can't handle moving to another country. Seriously, it's not that different. Not everyone is like you.
Where did he say 'uh no'? He said, 'I don't understand, I don't know that term' (or something similar- I didn't quote exactly, because I couldn't remember word for word of what he said. but the point was, he didn't know what I was asking because he hadn't term before. which is why I clarified and tried to give an example)

And there's a term for it for a reason- lots of people experience it.

But hey, ok, I'll just take your word that China and the USA are totes the same and there's ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE from being born and raised in one and then moving to the other. It'd be a totally seamless transition because both cultures and places are exactly alike and exchangeable.
Don't lash out because you're an over assuming american prick :D
:icondanostergren:
DanOstergren Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Photographer
Wow, way to contradict yourself saintjudas! Go you!
Oh so you did catch that, I guess you're hoping for a gold star?
:icondanostergren:
DanOstergren Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Professional Photographer
No, why in the world would I want that?
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: