Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 10, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 36

Go me, I accidentally insulted my roommate.

:iconsunshinenorcas:
So I live in a house share with three other people. One of our roommate moved out last month so we've been looking for a new roommate. Room recently got filled and I was asking roommate who did all arranging about the new guy. Roommate says he's a Japanese transfer student and he's moving in sometime next week.
Flash-forward to a couple days ago, I come home and it's just me and the new guy, and we get to chatting. He mentioned he'd only been here a month and I asked him how he was handling the culture shock.

Him: ...Sorry? I don't understand?
Me: Oh, I mean... America is really different from... you're from Japan right? It's different from there?
Him: :iconhmmplz: ...I'm Chinese.
me: :iconfacepalmplz:

I nearly fell over my self apologizing and explained where I got the mix-up (the other roommate) but still. I MAKE GREAT FIRST IMPRESSIONS OK
(he did say it was OK and we continued on the conversation, but still, ugh. Go me)

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconporto881:
Porto881 Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's pretty bad xD But things like that happen. Also, it wasn't entirely your fault, so there's that at least.
My advice? Be a little embarrassed! Feel kinda bad! That's how you learn, and ultimately it will make you a better person c:
:iconkitsumekat:
You already fucked up by assuming he was japanese and thought his culture was different.
:iconawesomeizzy:
awesomeizzy Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Could be a lot worse. :shrug:
:iconxadrea:
Xadrea Dec 11, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
^ ^ hey that's all right! He was gracious enough to accept your apology and everything
:icongreeneyedyoshika:
GreenEyedYoshika Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I wouldn't worry about it. it was a misunderstanding since you were given false information.
:iconmegstiel:
megstiel Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
Well, I mean technically if you said the the way you typed, you were asking where he was from. Don't feel too bad about it, there are a lot more worse things you could have done.
:iconwildergothica:
WilderGothica Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Lol that's a little embarrassing!
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I think this will be useful for you.

[link]
:iconnudedoctor:
I'm surprised that a transfer student wouldn't know the term "culture shock". Usually, before a student goes to study in another country, someone (a teacher, parent, someone in charge of the exchange program) will inform them of it. No matter where they're from, or where they're going, culture shock is almost always a big adjustment, and it's typical that they are informed of it before leaving (or soon after arriving, at latest).

As long as he said that everything's okay between you two, you're fine. One embarrassing mistake isn't so bad.
:icondarkanddefiant:
not all of them seem to do that, actually. i lived with a couple of korean girls several years ago, and it was a learning experience for everybody. they didn't understand that the house owner wanted rent every month, not at the beginning of the term. nor did they understand other things that were pretty common to our area (tho i thought that the guide counselor at their school would help them with that, but for some weird reason she didn't teach them as much as i thought).
Add a Comment: