Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 165

I'm going to get shot for this...

:iconthisomessedup:
ThISoMessedUp Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I know I'm going to get shot for this but I do not understand all the fuss about Anime and Manga! It drives me crazy how popular it's gotten in the past few years.

I mean, what's so amazing about it? I don't get all the hype about watching a cartoon in a language you mildly, if that, understand. In college, my friend made me watch an episode of some anime and I generally wanted to cry afterwards. It's just so bad. This has also made him call pavements 'Side walks' and Caretakers 'Janitors'. He's British for heavens sakes!

If you want real cartoons, watch the classics.

Can someone please tell me why people find it amazing?

*Bracing self for the shit storm*

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontsundoku:
tsundoku Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Writer
Uhmmm.... same reason you like North American cartoons?

Because they're cartoons, just with a different culture and style?

Calm yo tits, man. Not every show, North American or otherwise, is going to be amazing. And not every amazing show is going to be in English.
:iconzbugni:
zbugni Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist
weeaboos. weeaboos everywhere...
:iconrua--briongloid:
Rua--Briongloid Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't get it either, Only anime/manga I have respect for is sailormoon. That's basically because I grew up with it and it inspired me to draw. I try to draw my stuff more along the lines of just cartoon but having that "anime" flair does make it more dynamic~
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I must say, I like anime when it's done well and has a subject I like. Anime that exists solely for shipping or romance, however, can burn from the sun's intense radiation. I also do not like it when anime abides by stereotypes, for example, containing many characters just to provide shipping opportunities.

However, I hate it when some people only like anime or manga, in everything, and if they like anything else it's because it's inspired by anime. I hate that. With a passion. Let's just ignore a metric fuckton of excellent fiction just because it isn't drawn or rendered a certain way! There was a Top 10 Video Game Boss Themes list on YouTube; I gave up on the video when the first five were anime games (Square Enix games and games based on anime and such). I slid through the rest by skipping, and they were all anime games. Jesus Christ. There are other games out there, for fuck's sake!

That said, I think that despising something just because it's anime is just as bad as being a weeaboo. There is a ton of good anime out there, don't ignore it just because of Hype Backlash from the weeaboos. Word of advice if you ever decide to try anime and become a fan: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT proclaim your like for a certain anime, no matter how slight, unless you want to be bombarded by overexcited weeaboos. I learned that the hard way at DragonCon.

This has also made him call pavements 'Side walks' and Caretakers 'Janitors'. He's British for heavens sakes!

Really? You Brits call sidewalks pavements and janitors caretakers? Hm. I didn't know that. I will now go to TV Tropes to learn more about British English.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
To each their own. I don't get what's so great about MLP.

I watch French movies a lot, and one time I went to a Spanish film festival. I feel like many people in America have an aversion to watching things that aren't in English. We don't ever get foreign movies in theatres, subbed or dubbed. I have friends who have watched American re-makes of French movies, thinking that they were an American story first, and I'm like............ no...... that was a foreign film. Why did we have to remake the movie instead of just putting the French one in theaters with subtitles or dubs?

I do watch a lot of anime, and I guess I like it cause it's just so crazy and quirky. I like watching something different.
:iconferaltao:
FeralTao Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
And wouldn't you be surprised if you actually did get shot. :lol:
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
because it is.
:icongreeneyedyoshika:
GreenEyedYoshika Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I honestly don't know why I like anime and manga. I started watching it when I was 3, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know why, but western cartoons seem so bland to me.
:iconstephromancy:
Stephromancy Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
"In the past few years"? Anime started getting popular worldwide in the 80s, you just happen to be hanging out with more anime nerds than you used to.
Add a Comment: