Closed to new replies
December 9, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 165

I'm going to get shot for this...

:iconthisomessedup:
ThISoMessedUp Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I know I'm going to get shot for this but I do not understand all the fuss about Anime and Manga! It drives me crazy how popular it's gotten in the past few years.

I mean, what's so amazing about it? I don't get all the hype about watching a cartoon in a language you mildly, if that, understand. In college, my friend made me watch an episode of some anime and I generally wanted to cry afterwards. It's just so bad. This has also made him call pavements 'Side walks' and Caretakers 'Janitors'. He's British for heavens sakes!

If you want real cartoons, watch the classics.

Can someone please tell me why people find it amazing?

*Bracing self for the shit storm*

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icontsundoku:
tsundoku Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Student Writer
Uhmmm.... same reason you like North American cartoons?

Because they're cartoons, just with a different culture and style?

Calm yo tits, man. Not every show, North American or otherwise, is going to be amazing. And not every amazing show is going to be in English.
:iconzbugni:
zbugni Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist
weeaboos. weeaboos everywhere...
:iconrua--briongloid:
Rua--Briongloid Featured By Owner Dec 13, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't get it either, Only anime/manga I have respect for is sailormoon. That's basically because I grew up with it and it inspired me to draw. I try to draw my stuff more along the lines of just cartoon but having that "anime" flair does make it more dynamic~
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I must say, I like anime when it's done well and has a subject I like. Anime that exists solely for shipping or romance, however, can burn from the sun's intense radiation. I also do not like it when anime abides by stereotypes, for example, containing many characters just to provide shipping opportunities.

However, I hate it when some people only like anime or manga, in everything, and if they like anything else it's because it's inspired by anime. I hate that. With a passion. Let's just ignore a metric fuckton of excellent fiction just because it isn't drawn or rendered a certain way! There was a Top 10 Video Game Boss Themes list on YouTube; I gave up on the video when the first five were anime games (Square Enix games and games based on anime and such). I slid through the rest by skipping, and they were all anime games. Jesus Christ. There are other games out there, for fuck's sake!

That said, I think that despising something just because it's anime is just as bad as being a weeaboo. There is a ton of good anime out there, don't ignore it just because of Hype Backlash from the weeaboos. Word of advice if you ever decide to try anime and become a fan: DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT proclaim your like for a certain anime, no matter how slight, unless you want to be bombarded by overexcited weeaboos. I learned that the hard way at DragonCon.

This has also made him call pavements 'Side walks' and Caretakers 'Janitors'. He's British for heavens sakes!

Really? You Brits call sidewalks pavements and janitors caretakers? Hm. I didn't know that. I will now go to TV Tropes to learn more about British English.
:iconceibita:
Ceibita Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
To each their own. I don't get what's so great about MLP.

I watch French movies a lot, and one time I went to a Spanish film festival. I feel like many people in America have an aversion to watching things that aren't in English. We don't ever get foreign movies in theatres, subbed or dubbed. I have friends who have watched American re-makes of French movies, thinking that they were an American story first, and I'm like............ no...... that was a foreign film. Why did we have to remake the movie instead of just putting the French one in theaters with subtitles or dubs?

I do watch a lot of anime, and I guess I like it cause it's just so crazy and quirky. I like watching something different.
:iconferaltao:
FeralTao Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
And wouldn't you be surprised if you actually did get shot. :lol:
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
because it is.
:icongreeneyedyoshika:
GreenEyedYoshika Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I honestly don't know why I like anime and manga. I started watching it when I was 3, so maybe that had something to do with it. I don't know why, but western cartoons seem so bland to me.
:iconstephromancy:
Stephromancy Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Professional Interface Designer
"In the past few years"? Anime started getting popular worldwide in the 80s, you just happen to be hanging out with more anime nerds than you used to.
:iconlibegon:
Libegon Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I think the Japanese just have different ideas. With the "classics", you're going to have the same ideas over and over again, just because the creators all got those ideas from the cartoons and stories they grew up with. In Japan, they get inspiration from their cartoons and stories, which are completely different from ours in some cases, which makes the shows completely different.
With understanding the language, that's what subtitles are for. I don't get what's so bad about that, if your friend loved French films, but couldn't understand a word, he would probably watch them subbed. And there are other ways to get so used to other versions of words that you start using them. Supposedly, I often use British grammar, even though I'm an American, just because I moved to Austria and they teach the British version here.
:iconmcdenis09:
McDenis09 Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I mainly don't like it for all the over dramatizing, goofy hair, and eye color, seriously who's genes would give them natural blue hair and red eyes?
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Depends on what anime/manga you read/watch. There are some really good ones, and some really bad ones.
:icontheawesomefaerie:
TheAwesomeFaerie Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Traditional Artist
It's like everything. There are good animes, bad animes and weird animes. Same with other cartoons, same with books, same with movies.
:icontacosteev:
tacosteev Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist
It's just a medium to tell a story. Nothing to get worked up over.
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Once again, you never fail to amuse me. This is hilarious! Mind if I use it for my Tumblr one of these days?
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012
You have to ask the owner. I found that through the group I'm in.
:iconikiska:
iKiska Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I can't tell if I'm hungry or nauseous. :grump:
:icongemdrop:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I hate that feeling.
:iconikiska:
iKiska Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student General Artist
I ended up eating a sandwich but I felt weird for several hours after. :(
:icongemdrop:
Gemdrop Featured By Owner Dec 11, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Aww :c
:iconp-ish:
P-Ish Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Writer
My cat just pooped so now my apartment kind of smells like cat poop.
:iconkiwi-punch:
Kiwi-Punch Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Then why not barbeque it? That'll show any other cats in the area that they can't poop in your house without being roasted! If you want, I can send you my special secret recipe dry rub to barbeque the little bastards.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
Well, stop cat-assing and CLEAN that shit!

You're not busy playing EverQuest, so get scoopin', already.
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Traditional Artist
I have the litter box in my room to avoid fights over who has to take care of it and wether it smells or not, which is fine except for mornings. I wake up and my room smells like it's green all over :stare:
:icondawnsbreak:
DawnsBreak Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I know that feel.
:iconp-ish:
P-Ish Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012   Writer
........:stare: Ew. Mine is in the bathroom, but since the bathroom is about 4 feet away from my bed it's still pretty potent.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I hate weeaboos, but I do love shooting stuff!

So consider this just for funsies!

:icontommygunplz:
:iconwinterrosedragon:
Winterrosedragon Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I was really into Anime/Manga back when I was.... 10-13 but I always watched it in english lol I still dont understand the kids thats whine and bitch if you even MENTION you watched a foreign film/cartoon dubbed instead of subbed.

Looking back on it now There's still a few really old like 80s/90s anime I love, mainly I enjoy the way theyre drawn. I don't get any of the new ones :/

I have no idea why some people latch so heavily onto it and NEVER FUCKING LET GO. I wish I could shed light on it. When I was young I think I liked it because it was edgier and more adult than say Rockos Modern Life and Angry Beavers.
:iconbrandonspilcher:
BrandonSPilcher Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't like anime either, but what I for one find most worrisome of all is my generation's emphasis on fandoms. People my age seem to put way too much energy into producing fan art and fan fiction for their favorite franchises and not enough on creating original stories with original characters and settings. A recent report claimed that creativity among young people has declined over the last few decades, and I fear that all these fixations on fandoms for established franchises may reflect this.
:iconebonsong:
Ebonsong Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
I'm a little guilty of this. Sometimes when I'm excited about a certain anime event/scene I draw it out and it helps get it out of my mind so I can re-focus on my own art again.

It's silly 'cause usually I work with clay for my OCs but I almost always draw for anime/FA. Practice is practice, I guess. :S
:iconwinterrosedragon:
Winterrosedragon Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
^This, a thousand times this
:iconmikepav:
mikepav Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
how boring. you don't understand something so you don't give it any merit. looney toons and hanna-barbera cartoons are really hit or miss, with a large portion of them being CRAP. i'll assume those are the 'classics' you're referring to.

you're pretty pathetic if watching anime brought you to tears.
:iconnudedoctor:
NudeDoctor Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
This has also made him call pavements 'Side walks' and Caretakers 'Janitors'.

Wait. People don't call them Sidewalks? Pavement is usually the road where you drive a car, and Sidewalk is the concrete strip parallel to the road, where you walk.
I know in the US, people don't use the word "caretaker"; it's usually janitor or custodian.

I'm really not sure what that has to do with anime, anyways. I've never seen an anime frequently refer to sidewalks and janitors.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
:iconthatsracistplz:
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Some anime is horrible and obnoxious.

Some of it is pretty good.

Just like anything else.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Lol I like anime because they generally don't treat viewers like retards. Western cartoons USED to do that. But now when I watch them I feel like I'm losing brain cells.

Plus anime/manga was always meant to appeal to a wider audience, while cartoons/western comics are written strictly with kids in mind. Eventually you get tired of half-assed explanations why the good guy needs to beat the bad guys, or you crave conflict that is simply not present in other cartoons because they're marketed to a young and supposedly sensitive audience.

I probably don't like live-actor movies as much because I can't find one that's as funny as comedic anime that don't descend into outright dirty humor.
mikepav Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012
there are a fair few animated western shows that don't cater to an audience of kids.
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
You mean family guy, south park, and such strains of animation?

lol watch with discretion I say to thee
Exosquad was catered to teens and young adults IMO. Not many cartoons tackle racism and attempted genocide :nod:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
hm, never heard of it. Sounds interesting, was that one ep or is that pretty much the premise of the show?
Pretty much the show's premise. It is a sci-fi cartoon, and Venus and Mars are now inhabited. Well the humans get lazy and create a super human race known as 'neo-sapians' to do hard labor on Mars. After they get their freedom they are still considered second class citizens. So the neo-sapians creates a space fleet and takes over earth, venus and mars. The series is the humans struggling to take back their planet....now that I think about it it is a cartoon version of battlestar galatica :lol:
XD show premises cross each other so often I wouldn't be bugged by it.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I might check it out.
I wasn't bugged by it. Just it didn't occur to me until I was describing it :lol:

Great American cartoon IMO.
(1 Reply)
mikepav Featured By Owner Dec 10, 2012
yes. Simpsons, Futurama, Ren & Stimpy, Archer, Boondocks...
......I'll give you Boondocks. Boondocks was funny as all hell. The Simpsons and Futurama...only so much one can watch in one sitting lolz.

Ren & Stimpy? care to elaborate?
:iconsmileyvizard:
SmileyVizard Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Depends on which anime you watched. Some have really good stories and meanings behind them. Others...... Well, others are just fucked up... Don't even get me started on hentai... >__>
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Oh look. A post made completely of regurgitated opinions collected from ancient internet posts.

Do you understand why classic cartoons aren't as popular any more? Because their humor, and the culture that created them, has changed. The old days are dead and gone. That style of humor is out of fashion. That style of art has been done. It had its run. It's OVER. Anime might be over saturating the market, but part of its success is that it's something different from the western stuff that American kids are already used to. To them, it's a shiny new toy with different art and different humor and it's special just because it's not the same as what they're used to.

World War Two is over, Tex Avery is dead, and pining after the beautifully drawn cartoons of the old days isn't going to "help" a market that's become oversaturated with cheaply made, poorly animated tripe from Asia. Instead of complaining that people dare like stuff that you don't like, why not vote with your dollar?

Spend money on cartoons and new programming that you think is good. And I mean NEW programming, not 50's cartoon reboots, new shit. New artists. GOOD new artists. They do exist, many of them even have kickstarters, making it really simple to support their endeavors. Even if you have no money, spread the word about them. Or heck, if you're able, MAKE SOME ARTWORK YOURSELF! Why curse the dark when you can light up a candle?
Add a Comment: