Treatment of the disabled

This used to peev me WAY before I joined the cripple club.

I have hypermobility [which I'm sure is actually misdiagnosed and I have EDS but god forbid a doctor even sees me never mind take me seriously.]

ANYWAY! Unseen disability~ Seriously. I should get it tattooed on my forehead. Maybe then I'll stop getting harassed on buses for sitting at the front.

From what I've seen we burdens to society, those that can work, try WAY FREAKING HARDER than most people. Usually whilst in pain.

And when we have little victories they should be celebrated. I have washed dishes today without painkillers. That is impressive to me.

OH AND PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS DON'T AUTOMATICALLY HAVE NO USE OF THEIR LEGS!! DON'T LOOK SO FREAKING HORRIFIED IF YOU SEE SOMEONE GET UP!! DON'T "FEEL CHEATED"! THAT PERSON NEEDS THE WHEELCHAIR OTHERWISE THEY WOULDN'T BE IN IT. DISABILITY IS NOT A BLACK AND WHITE SUBJECT!!

Sorry for the incoherent rant -_-;;

TL;DR People need to be nicer to the differently abled
Comments76
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I have no idea what it's like to be disabled, but as someone who is able-bodied, I find it a bit hard to know what's appropriate and what's not, or what comes across as offensive and what doesn't.

Example, in Uni the other day, there was a guy in a wheelchair who was waiting in a hallway. The doors also have a card-lock on them and need to be pulled to open. I asked him if he needed any help, meaning a card for the entry, or for the door to be held open so he could get through. As it turns out, he was just waiting for someone, but had I not been so lucky, I could've been chewed out for trying to lend a hand as a "YOU THINK I CAN'T DO IT MYSELF? GODDDDD."

I dunno. It feels like treading on eggshells, I don't know how a person will react, whether they'll respond nicely whether they need assistance or not, or whether they think I'm being patronising, or whatever the word I'm looking for is.
You have my sympathies over the hypermobility. After a crap lot of work, and being told I was everything from "just fat so get over it" to "You might have arthritis", they finally worked out that is what I have. 6 months later, while it never will be gone, it was much better. But if you are worried about the diagnosis speak to your doctor or another one, if you can afford it. Good luck.
I have mild autism. I took the short buss to school in middle school, and people called me retarded.

I was smarter then all of them.
Plus, i got to play video games, earn prizes, and watch movies in my class. We used the same books as them, and learned the same things as them. Our class was just smaller so the two teachers could help us more effectively.
Augh! I was waiting for my godson outside of school when the short bus pulled over to pick up its kids. Some little brats started making snide remarks about the "retard" bus. I was so mad, especially because I had just been thinking how easily my godson could be one of those kids in the bus (he's also mildly autistic, but we're trying to keep him in the regular classes.)

I would have said something, but that's when he decided to show up, and I just took him home :hmm:
My highschool was all about accepting diversity, but that's really a front they use. As far as I know, they don't give two shits about people with unseen disorders. When they act like they care, they give the kid some backhanded help and overreact because they're trying hard not to make people suspicious.

If you have depression, some staff members will tell you to "just get over it, you can control your feelings. Stop being lazy and get back to work!" or "There's really nothing to be anxious about!" even when there are some mean people who happen to be almost everywhere you go.

I'm seriously pissed with these people after the way they treated an autistic kid as if he was a misbehaved brat. He takes his time to think, and really hated being told to hurry up. When his parents confronted the situation, the "helper" said "oh, he was doing the talking and got his way" when it was really the other way around. The woman wouldn't let the kid speak and brushed off his polite pleas to stop annoying him and let him concentrate.

All I can say is that I'm really glad I'm no longer a student of that school. Sorry for the rant, I'm just giving my two cents and agreeing with you.
i'll treat you like any other person, disability or no. if you're an asshole, then i treat you as one. don't use your shortcomings as a crutch. just because you think that washing dishes is an amazing feat doesn't make it so. don't expect other people to care.
There's an "uncanny valley" with disabilities and injuries. Someone doesn't have an arm or a leg? Awww poor guy. Let's help. Clearly you should not be cracking jokes because this guy has no fucking legs, dammit. That guy gets beaten up, and the people who do it are lucky if they're not on the bus to military school or Juvenile Hall by the end of the day.

Someone with an "unseen disorder"? Oh they're just faking it. Stop whining ya brat. How come I don't get to go into another room to take my tests? You're just making it up to get attention you little brat. I bet you anything you're just faking it so you get pills and you pop 'em all at once to get high. We're encouraging others to beat you up by not lifting a finger to help when you're stuffed head-first into a trashcan, and then accusing you of making it up to get attention when you come tell on them covered in garbage.
At my school there is quite a few kids with dyslexia, so they get to write tests on the computer, and they get to use the computers spell check.
Of course, a lot of the other kids complain loudly, accusing them of faking it to get better grades, and so on.

Next time they do that I'll hit them in the head with the math book.
Ugh, I had an AlphaSmart in school and that thing was a real godsend. Simply because I had horrible handwriting so I got allowed to use that instead of handwritten assignments.

course nowadays everyone just prints their assignments out on a computer at home.
I feel for you dude.

I am not disabled, BUT, I am less able than the average person, in that I am quite stupid. I have managed to get a minimum-wage job that I like, but I feel like no matter how much I work (often 6 or sometimes 7 days a week) it's never enough for some people. "Well I have to work TWO jobs to pay the bills and only get 4 hours of sleep each night!" "Well I have a kid and an evil baby-daddy so I never get a break!" "Well I sacrificed my youth to serving the country in the army, and then worked 7 days a week!"

Basically, what's moving mountains for you will seem like child's play to other people, and, rudely, they will say so. Dick holes.

A lot of people are so ignorant about disabilities. One thing I hear a lot of people do is talk about how everyone just "dealt with it" in the "good old days." And every time I hear this I think, "Um, no, they didn't just deal with it. They just died. And you and me might've died too, just from a fever or stepping on a rake." I figure, if I'm allowed to take pills for my flues and colds instead of dying every winter, then a disabled person is allowed to get around with some meds and designated parking spots.
Sorry if I seem forward, but you don't sound stupid at all. People look at someone getting out of a car with a disabled placard on the mirror and say, you don't look disabled to me. But not all disabilities show.
Thank you! :) I supposed "stupid" could be a relative term. My parents and sisters are all above average in intelligence; I don't think it's a coincidence that I felt smarter when I was in college, living far, far away from them.
98% of people have absolutely no empathy period. They may claim to have empathy but they don't. Really? If you have empathy, you don't try to take their accomplishments away from them and try to say "You don't have it worse - I do!"
I don't think 98% of the human population are total psychopaths.
You kidding? 98% of the population will happily step over your corpse to get a better parking spot but won't hesitate to pass howling judgment whenever you mess up.
I know there are plenty of insensitive people out there, but we haven't met 98% of all human beings.
Perhaps I should rephrase that.

98% of the people you'll meet are borderline sociopaths who'll happily step over your corpse to get a better spot on the bus but won't hesitate to pass howling judgment.
I always thought human emotions are an extremely complex thing, that showed up and didn't show up at weird times, often. But, maybe I'm wrong, and it's a simplistic black-and-white issue.
Complaints these days tend to go:

"I'm going to make a complaint, HERE IS MY DISABILITY WHICH HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING, here is my complaint__"

or

"I'm going to make a complaint, MY DISABILITY IS SUCH A HUGE PART OF MY IDENTITY THAT I MUST CONNECT EVERYTHING BAD IN MY LIFE TO IT INSTEAD OF TRYING TO MOVE FORWARD, here is my complaint___"
I was actually guilty of the first one a few weeks ago, if only to explain why I was going out of my way to see a doctor I hated.
Sometimes it is necessary in a complaint. Sometimes it's not and people are so obviously fishing for asspats. :lol: I have to wonder if those people bring up their CONDITIONS during every conversation they have. I know some people who do.
*cough* Sorry for going on a tangent. It's just something people've griped at me about--telling me that I 'really don't need all that'. ^^;
Yeah. Drives me crazy that they treat me like crap or like I'm drunk cause sometimes I can't keep my balance like I should--I hope that when disability kicks me off it that I can either afford my medicines (the majority of them I know I could) or that the one I won't be able to afford will have an assistance program.

In fact I really hope it does. @o; It costs 40,000 a year and if I don't take it I can't walk.