Deviant Login Shop
 Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 113

Social Focus on Love: Isn't it a bit wrong?

:iconalbeenocookie:
AlbeenoCookie Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
People keep talking about stuff in society that makes them sad, like gender inequality or a lack of understanding between generations or whatever and those do make me sad too.

But what really makes me worry is how geared towards relationships we all are. Itís run throughout history really, through music, TV, cinema and literature. Like most popular books, or even books in the literary canon, include some kind of love story whether itís as subtext or not. We get sad if a character ends up alone at the end. Iíve noticed most problems here on tumbr, whether itís loneliness or depression or whatever all seem to link back to that person feeling they need a partner.

And Iím not saying that love isnít great, it is. Iím lucky enough to have it right now. I donít know if I always will but Iím optimistic that Iíll get through any tough patches. If not, thatís fine too. I donít want it to end, but thatís life.

Iíve noticed that I always fall into that same trap everyone else here seems to. If something happens, like if Im in a bad mood Iíll lay all responsibility on making it better on my relationship. Equally if I get jealous or cant talk or see him for a while I get paranoid and upset and feel like my life is awful.

I think we need to realise it isnít. Yes, these ďother halvesĒ are important. But you are an individual whether they are there or not. Whether you have a partner or not, that doesnít change loneliness. I should know, I still get just as lonely as I did before.

I wouldnít have realised this without having him in my life, and I know I would have continued feeling like I needed someone there. But I shouldnít. My whole life would have been focussed towards this big epic romance that Disney set out for me, which just isnít how it works. And Iím just starting to re arrange my thought patterns so that I can quit doing that.

Just because Iím not obsessed doesnít mean I donít care. Just because I know I can get over a break up, doesnít mean I donít think it will be heartbreaking. But there are bigger things I want in my life. And I donít mean a job, I mean experiences. Meeting new people from different cultures, and going places where no people live.

I want adventure in my life, and love just isnít an adventure. Itís a home.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconferaltao:
FeralTao Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Well, I'd say that the problem isn't really how geared towards relationships media is, rather how people are being indoctrinated with non-existent relationships. Movie-relationships and The Mythical Great Love Of Your Life that will in a magical way make your life wonderful and make you a happy and balanced individual without any real effort on your behalf. This makes some people and especially kiddies between 15 and 25 unable to deal with their partners as real people instead of magical-fix-me-ups which is a recipe for being forever alone. And then we get them in the HWL-forum whining about how every person of the opposite gender is horrible, conceited and is totally missing out on their awesomeness when they really only care about what they think these people will do for them.
:iconcherylblanche:
CherylBlanche Featured By Owner Dec 17, 2012
+1
:iconmaxwellsmaart:
MaxwellSmaart Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
I don't understand society's fixation on it, either. What really grinds my gears is when people misuse and abuse the word entirely. For example: 12 year old children telling each other, "I love you, I want to be by your side forever." I mean, you've got your whole life for that. Enjoy being a kid. God, that really gets me going. I'm often ashamed of a lot of my generation.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Dec 16, 2012
Tell me more about this emotion you call love.
You can say that again.
I can but won't :cough:
:shrug:
Ohm, it's like that is it? It's on.
:|
You just made my shit list, buddy. I'm not sure why, but there you are. I didn't even write your name down on it, it just got there somehow. I'm kinda freaking out here.
Add a Comment: