Closed to new replies
December 8, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

Girls Have It Better Than Guys

:iconacewalksx:
AceWalksX Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
This is not my writing, but I wanted to post it here. If you can ignore the bitterness and passive-aggressiveness of the post, I thought this person made a lot of good points.

" Been growing more and more preoccupied with the love-shy idea that it's simply better to be female than male in almost every way. So much so that I would choose to be female in a heartbeat. This is not to say I'm one of those "women trapped in a man's body" or want a sex change or anything like that. Just that if God let me go back and do everything over again, I would choose to come back as a girl.

I can't see any downside to being female anymore in western society. Women now dominate in schools, occupy over half the jobs, and can still play the traditional roles of wife and mother if they want. They are put on a pedestal by society and treated better in almost every way. The freedoms they take for granted are ones I will never know. For instance: A woman can choose to work or not work; a man has to work. A woman can dress like a woman or like a man; a man has to dress like a man. A woman doing a "man's" job, like computer technician or engineer, is lauded as a pioneer and example of women's progress; a man doing a "woman's" job, like nurse, dancer or model, is ridiculed. A woman under attack is expected to be defended and assisted; a man under attack is expected to "be a man" or to "man up" and not let anyone push him around. If a woman refuses her "responsibilities" of cooking and cleaning in the home, she is liberated and empowered; if a man refuses his "responsibilities" of being the breadwinner, he is a deadbeat. A woman who argues that men have it better is defending her rights; a man who argues that women have it better is a jealous whiner.

Now you would think with all this extra freedom would come extra responsibilities. But women's responsibilities (as caregiver and nurturer) have actually diminished. Yet there has been no corresponding increase in men's freedom at all (except for homosexuals).

At the risk of exaggerating, I believe being born female is like winning the lottery. You get all the special treatment and privileges handed to you, having done nothing to earn it. You are a higher class of human -- regarded as more attractive, more valuable, more deserving of support and compassion than those without breasts. What do you get by being born male? A shorter life expectancy and greater risk of mental illness, suicide, genetic disorders, alcoholism, social isolation, school dropout, incarceration, much longer prison sentences, etc. No wonder parents selecting the sex of their babies now pick female 75% of the time. In this culture, I would absolutely do the same.

Women have problems too but women's problems are seen as crises by society. Just imagine what would happen if all the homeless men you see in big cities were women. Those women would not be homeless for long. There would be an outcry over how society had let them fall through the cracks and massive efforts to get those women off the street. Already, more social programs and shelters exist for women only than for men, even though men probably account for over 90% of the homeless. Similarly, look at all the attention and funding devoted to breast cancer versus prostate cancer. Both kill equal numbers but prostate cancer gets only a fraction of the attention, for no other reason than that all its victims are male. (So, sorry to say this, but as long as most love-shy victims are male, society is really not going to give a crap.)

Now I realize that for a very long time, it was the other way around. Guys had all the rights and freedoms while women could not have a career or even vote. Some feminists would say modern men deserve to suffer for something that happened before they were even born and which they had nothing to do with... just as girls today somehow deserve special treatment because of past injustices which they themselves will never experience. But does this logic make any sense?

All this eats me up inside because I know that with my temperament I would have made a much better woman than a man. My shyness would be perceived as demure and attractive instead of creepy and unconfident. I could show little or no outward interest in the opposite sex without being seen as gay. I could make a small salary and have no car without it reducing my attractiveness one bit. My low self-esteem would elicit compassion instead of revulsion. I could show more interest in art, culture and psychology than in beer, sports and monster truck rallies without my sexuality being questioned. As a virgin, I'd be seen as pure instead of a loser. Even without approaching anyone, I would get lots of practice at social skills because they would approach me. In short, my life would have been a success instead of a failure.

If any girl should read this and disagree, I'd like to say just be grateful you won the lottery when you were born. Be thankful you dodged a bullet. It could've been so much worse, you really have no idea. I would give anything to be you. "

*OP Note: Also note that the myth that women make less money than men, doing the same job for the same hours, has been widely debunked.

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's a shame we don't allow threads that contain a massive block of copy/paste. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Look! Flamebait!

Also, men have it better. I'm still a happy woman though.
:iconstieger:
Stieger Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
ITS EQUAL
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Not... all situations are like that... and I want to be a guy. :saddummy:
:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
:icontextwallplz:
I would read it but i'm not in the mood....

i like being female :lol:
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Me too, but there are times I wish I was a man. :saddummy:
:iconkawaii-cookies:
kawaii-cookies Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
why? if you mind me asking? :meow:
:iconlaemperatrizmariana:
LaEmperatrizMariana Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Men don't have this.

Besides that, I wouldn't change.
:iconrizhnir:
Rizhnir Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
While it's hardly perfect being a man, it's not that bad. Sure, I get tired of having to do things like make the first move; or somehow learn to do impossible things like reading a woman's mind; or have to conform to various social pressures to match what people think "makes a man."

But if I had to pick again, I'd still be born a male, mostly for one reason:

I don't have to give birth. Ever. EVER.

We have it so easy as men by comparison to what's expected of women, it's not even a competition. Being a man is playing life on easy mode. So I will gladly accept my role as a male and appreciate that women must endure so much more social and physical pressures I can't even begin to imagine.
:icondj0hybrid:
DJ0Hybrid Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Both sides have issues and are pressured to be a certain way by society as a whole. Young girls are told that they need to make themselves attractive physically and get a boyfriend versus concentrating on their childhood and school. In fact, women are held more responsible about their appearance than men, as men can mostly shrug off the things that they are expected to look like. Being a "minority" has issues itself as the group that is trying to "further your social standing" will get annoyed when you don't like what they are doing. And in social support, it is less likely that a woman is allowed to do things that are considered "manly" than men to do something feminine as the only group that will support women are those already a part of it, which is a lot harder to reach out than when you have groups trying the other way. Then let's not even get started on the fact that they bleed during certain times of the month. But yes, they do have advantages in certain parts of life, but not everywhere.
:iconerarosaimmortal21:
erarosaimmortal21 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
So untrue.
:iconbullet-magnet:
Bullet-Magnet Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
This really isn't true.

Though I woud come back as a woman. Because I haven't been one before. Unless... I have. Hmm. Past lives.

No one must discover my secret. That I used to be... Hitler's mother!
:iconanaliasunknown:
AnAliasUnknown Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
:icontrollinthedungeonplz:
:iconmonsterpaladin:
Monsterpaladin Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
So....is the OP posting someone else's complaint?
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Filmographer
I think the OP forgot that men and women are different in a lot of ways. Example, the suicide rate in men is higher than in women because we're more likely to talk about our problems instead of bottling them up.
:iconanaliasunknown:
AnAliasUnknown Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Example, the suicide rate in men is higher than in women because we're more likely to talk about our problems instead of bottling them up.

No, not quite...the suicide SUCCESS rate is higher in men because they tend to choose more lethal means of ending themselves. The suicide ATTEMPT rate, if I recall correctly, is higher in women.
:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
This is among the top most anecdotal, least scientific things I've ever read about women in society.

As a woman I am less likely to get the same job as a man even with the exact same qualifications and experience, and if I do get that job I am going to be paid less by thousands of dollars. This is not a myth that has been debunked. This is a fact in any industry that you can easily find by doing some quick research. One I can think of off the top of my head is that male physicians make about $12, 000 more than female physicians. That's not an insignificant number.

A woman who doesn't work is going to be seen as a gold digger.

A woman who argues that men have it better is statistically right.

Women run a higher risk of being sexually assaulted. Women are also more likely to suffer from nearly every single mental illness in the book.

Female infanticide is a real issue world-wide. In many cultures, women are still married off to another family. If you have a daughter, you will lose her when she is married. If you have a son, he will stay with his family and continue to support them financially. In countries like China and India, there are significantly more boys than girls even though more women are born world-wide. This is because women are not valuable as anything other than wives.

The reason homeless women are less visually prevalent is because it's not safe for them to be out in the open. Many homeless women are working as prostitutes, and only as long as they're lucky enough to not be abducted or killed.

The reason breast cancer gets more funding than any other kind of cancer is because boobs are easy to sell, and nearly everyone has known someone with breast cancer. I'm not saying it's right that breast cancer gets more funding, but it's not because society loves women over men. Men can get breast cancer too.

Your issues with not finding love are your fault. Do not blame half of the world's population for it. You think that your attractiveness has anything to do with the image that the media peddles you. It doesn't. Women do not care about the type of car you drive. The only people who care about the type of car you drive are the car companies that are running advertisements saying if you have an expensive car women will love you.
You are less approachable as a shy person whether you're a female or a male.

Nearly all famous artists, writers, psychologists, academics, etc. are men.

Women are stigmatized constantly for sex, regardless or whether they have it or not. Women who don't have sex are frigid boring people who need to loosen up. Women who do have sex are whores.

No. I will not be thankful for being born a woman. Things are much better than they used to be, but they are still not as good as they should be. I did not win a lottery. Pull your head out of your ass, stop feeling sorry for yourself, make yourself better. Your problem is not due to external factors.
:iconerarosaimmortal21:
erarosaimmortal21 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Exactly, I agree on the points you've made. Being a woman isn't like "winning the lottery". Good point on the 5th line down and the 9th line down the shy part. This person clearly didn't think of the downsides of being a woman.
:iconoranges-lemons:
oranges-lemons Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
flaaaaaaaaaamebaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiit
:iconhardrockangel:
Hardrockangel Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
> Joined today.
> Posting gender-inequality flamebait.

0/10
Boooo, I missed that. Totally fell for it too.
:iconhardrockangel:
Hardrockangel Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I just got a bit suspicious due to the lack of an avatar and the thread-content. :lol:
Yeah, I totally should have seen that coming. I spend enough time on these forums that I should be able to recognize flamebait. I usually check profiles too to see how long they've been members. Oh well. Shame on me.
:iconlovebehr:
lovebehr Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Both men and women have an option to be what they want to be. Both genders can chose how successful they're going to be in life.

Honestly, if I saw a homeless women I wouldn't be inclined to go help her out. She chose that life, she's going to deal with it. Don't bother telling me I'm a horrible person, I'm already well aware. :dummy:
I think the whole thing on what was stated about men having to "take it like a man" is because a great deal of the male population joke about being a dominant in any situation, and that women are below them. So whenever they have any situation that is deemed negative in any way, they're told to be the man they brag to be and step it up.

This thread is humorous. I don't think women or men have it easier. Each individual person makes their own decisions which affects how successful they're going to be in the future. It's not a gender thing.
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Also note that the myth that women make less money than men, doing the same job for the same hours, has been widely debunked.

Sources?
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
I read the first 3 paragraphs, and by then I have to disagree.
No, women do not have the choice whether they want to work or not. Noone does. You work because you need money, and more and more women today work because there needs to be a second income. If a man does not work but the woman does in a home, that does not make them a 'bum', it's just the way the house works or possibly the man cannot find a job.

Perhaps I'm just unaware, but honestly I have never seen/heard of a man being ridiculed for doing a 'woman's job'. There are PLENTY or male nurses in the world, along with models, dancers, actors so forth so forth and so forth.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post said, but then again I probably don't want to know.

tl;dr: :thumbsdown:
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I'd still rather be a full on male.
:iconavenvia:
Avenvia Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student Writer
It seems very likely that the person you are quoting is idealising society's expectations of women as a way of escaping personal responsibility for their own issues.
:iconmonsterpaladin:
Monsterpaladin Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
And that's the main reason they have such problems, because they won't take responsibility.... :no:
Add a Comment: