Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 50

"Technology" Rant!

:iconcontradictingcats:
ContradictingCats Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Artist
This is gonna rant about like, 3 things in our "Technology" Class I think.

1. This was labeled "Animation" on the sign up sheet last year. It's called "Graphic Design and Animation" class. Now it's pretty much "Technology Class"

2. Why do we keyboard for 15 minutes every morning? Those who type bad just don't even do it, and I'm getting bad grades because I learned to type "incorrectly" so I type with mostly my Pointers and Middle Fingers, Thumbs for Spacebar. Note I type at anywhere from 40 Words Per Minute all the way up to 100 Words per Minute if I'm deciding to be really fast. With a 80-95% Accuracy at that. So why do I get graded LESS because I don't type with the "correct" fingers. :U

3. The Scratch Project we did... I'm getting a lesser grade because I was unable to complete my project in the week. (I decided to do a cat maker, much harder than expected. Handmade all sprites etc.) So Why do I get a lower grade than those who scribbled up a maze with 3 levels in a day or two then added another level or two so they'd get above and beyond? Because I chose something a bit harder that takes more work? That had no instructions provided?

Just Unhappy >:C Feel free to ignore.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
I just have an IDE that's decided to lag for no reason at all, and I'm learning to use a module which entails me having no clue what's going on! :#1:
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012   Digital Artist
Part of learning is learning to realize what you can and can't do in the given time frame. In the real world you might have to compromise certain aspects of a design in order to meet a deadline. Learn from it and don't bitch. No one cares in the real world what kind of bitching idea you had if can't deliver it on time. So either learn what you can and can't do in a certain time frame, spend more time on it, or get better so you can actually do what you intend in that time frame.

You were the one that chose that path, own up to your own choices. Should've scribbled a maze.
:iconmikepav:
mikepav Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
still learning typing? is this some middle school thing?
:iconkittythenekoalien:
KittyTheNekoAlien Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm sure I don't type with the right fingers either, I thought I used all of them but it seems I do the same thing for the most part. And I look at the keyboard. and last time I checked, only 16 words per minute. I think I should have improved by then, since that was years ago that I had that score :O
:iconcherylblanche:
CherylBlanche Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Only 16 words per minute? Crazy. o-o
I need to test myself again, I'm sure I type faster than that when I'm not spending 5 minutes figuring out what I want to say :c
Well, I don't test myself according to the games, or an official test, but judging by how fast I type if I type my own intended messages.
I end up doing a lot of erasing and stuff when I'm typing. Not to mention half the time I'm not sure how I want to word something or entirely what I want to say. So if I write a long comment, I could easily take 5 minutes detailing something.
Everyone does so every now and then, unless they don't think much when they speak. What really matters is the speed of typing itself, not the time it takes to think over a message.
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Filmographer
Someone clearly didn't play enough Mavis Beacon when they were a youngin'. Or Mario Teaches Typing.
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Mavis Bacon or Number Muncher.
I've never heard of Number Muncher. :lol:
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Me neither! :dummy:
We use Mavis Beacon ;-;
Well clearly you're not listening to Mavis. :no:
:icondorkface4:
dorkface4 Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
You got a lower mark because you didn't complete your project. Yes, it might have been more difficult and taken more work but you didn't finish it and others did.
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've had typing lessons in my "Computer Applications" class but I did not learn much from them. They enforced the stupid "Home Row" method.

Funny thing: I've been a single-key-finger-picker (rebel against the system maaaaan!!!) since I first got my hands on a keyboard, and nowadays I can type about 75-80 WPM on average with 90% accuracy without looking at the screen.
:iconbleedlings:
bleedlings Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
[link]
I get it, I hate it when I get a worse grade than somebody who puts less work into their project gets a better grade then me. Oh well.
Yep.
Just gotta move on! c:
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Animation class? I'd rather have a technology class. :stare:
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Unless the school is in Korea, I don't see much use for an animation class to begin with.

:iconbearisdrivingplz:

God dammit.
Animation classes are just... not fun. Especially when you're given a week to complete a entire animated short.
I was hoping to learn actual animation.
Was not the case.
Buy a animation book. :lol: My animation class is complete and utter shit so I went off to learn it on my own.
That's probably what's gonna end up happening to me. I only get to take two *actual* animation courses and it's my emphasis. One I think focuses on hand-drawn animation (but done in ToonBoom or Flash) and the other is 3D modeled animation.
I'll have to do that :U
I've always ended up learning more from books / the internet than Classes. -.-
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
You're getting a lower mark because that's what you deserve. What did you expect? To be treated differently because you decided to do something else? :lol: Kids these days.
:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Digital Artist
They never taught us about learning how to type in school, I don't think. @nd eye tipe jawst fyne =D
We need to do it for 1/3 of our class time :I

Not fun.
:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012   Digital Artist
I can tell. Maybe cut your pinky finger off so your teacher wouldn't have an excuse to give you shit for typing "incorrectly"
Just playing. I guess just deal with it, even if it's a pain in your anus.
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Why are people so concerned with your typing style? It doesn't seem to bother people in the real world which fingers you use for which letters, as long as it gets done.
Agreed!

Apparently for a good grade, I must type with all my fingers, keeping my fingers on the "Home Row" Keys most of the time and to not look at the keyboard.

I type pretty damn fast without looking, and faster when looking. I really don't need to change how I type P:
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
ugh, pressed the add comment button before I was done :no:

I was going to say that even though I have never had proper typing lessons, I still type better than you.
You probably do P:
It's funny when people are like 'you don't have to look at the keyboard!!! how?!?!?!'
Wow XD
It's really easy once the keys are kinda "embedded" in your memory.
I remember I would ask my mom how she typed so fast without looking. XD
and I've never, ever had typing lessons, except for maybe two or three typing 'games' I did in primary school and I had finished my computer work early, so instead of doing nothing, the teacher gave us them to do.]

The only thing that I do wrong is that I don't use my left pinkie, because I don't have as much movement/muscle control in it, because I've smashed that wrist so many times.
O: The typing has "Games" pop up once in awhile that just animate the typing. Makes it a bit more interesting. XD

Pinky fingers are hard to use when I do use my whole hand (Quite hard to use my whole hand) and the farthest I go when typing is normally my ring finger. ;P
Oh, I find that more annoying. I usually look at the screen. I'm looking at the keys now, and it actually slows me down, because it makes me have to think about what I am doing, I usually use 'muscle memory', to type, and looking at the keys stops me from doing that. :lol:
Interesting!

All in the person I guess.
;-;
Yes, you do. If you have to look at the keyboard, then you will not be able to transfer written stuff as fast.
I do not look at my keyboard though. P:
Haven't since last year's Technology class when we had typing also.
then what do you mean 'I'm faster when I look'?
If i'm at home and staring at my keyboard while typing, I type much faster as I know I'm not going to make mistakes in my typing and can just rattle off whatever I'm thinking. XD
:iconpurpleamhariccoffee:
PurpleAmharicCoffee Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Sounds annoying. I just use whichever finger happens to be closest to each key.
Agreed! c:
:iconprincess-rufflebutt:
Princess-Rufflebutt Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012  Student General Artist
I POOPED
:iconleoneil:
Leoneil Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
Because school is just plain evil? I don't know, I'm still trying to figure that out. I'll get back to you if I come up with anything...
You get a lower grade because you picked something that was unrealistic to do. If you were out working, and you haven't finished something by a deadline, you can't go 'but I did something harder!!!'
:iconthe-uglytruth:
The-UglyTruth Featured By Owner Dec 7, 2012
I was going to comment, but you took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:
Add a Comment: