Markers...

Okay, I wanna know, does this happen to other people? I get these awesome quality (expensive) markers (Dual Brush and Copics) and they work great and are suppose to be long lasting, but when I go to color a big project like a large background or a picture that consists of mainly one color, it wears out in, like, 15 minutes!
Wtf!
And then with the Copics markers I have to wait a little until the color kinda drains back from the rest of the brush...
BUT SERIOUSLY!
I don't want to use paint, and colored pencils are tedious to use for larger pictures. >A<

TL;DR: damn markers that I payed good money for run out quickly. :stare:

Anti-Complaint: I started watching My Little Pony~! :la:

Bonus complaint: I don't understand why I like it. (MLP that is)
Comments116
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm generally a digital artist, but I do sometimes use markers. I have Lesat Pro-markers and they're like massive chunky things with a wide chiseled tip so you can cover large areas, but yeah, after a few uses, they do run out and they're €3.50 for a marker which is for me, enough to get the makings of dinner for a few days. :saddummy:

Ever tried using water-colours or water-coloured pencils for making a wash for backgrounds?
I haven't, but I think I will try that, because it seems like my only option...
Well, it's not really. You can always try out new mediums and experiment with them. I know some who uses chalk dust to colour in their backgrounds and use hairspray to fix it into place. =]
That's actually a really cool idea!
If you get some tissue paper, dip it into the chalk dust and spread it around to get different gradients. Maybe mix in a different colour too. Like pink with a bit of orange in it. If you need any help or anything, feel free to ask me. :hug:
thank you so much!! TvT :iconletmehugyouplz:
Are you using proper marker-paper? If not, you should aways use markerpaper, it absorbs less ink and the ink blends better. :)
I had no idea what affect the paper could have.... Well, now I do. OTL.
Haha, I remember I used to color on normal printpaper and it would kill markers in a second and when painting large areas there'd be stripes and smudgyness. Schoellershammer's marker-paper is the best I've used, Copic's own marker-paper was not so good for me (although I use only Copics!)
But with proper paper the ink can almost pool on the paper instead of being sucked in, and blends beautifully. Doesn't dry in a second either, so there's a small moment more to work on an area. :)
AKJSKSJA thank you so much! All this stuff really helps! TvT
hmm I give this complaint a 4/10
SOMG. I GOT AN EVEN NUMBER. I FEEL SO SPECIAL! :iconohmygodplz:
Paper.
:icontheresyourproblemplz:
Some paper sucks up fluids better than others. The thing inside markers is fluid. Absorbing paper = dry markers, not absorbing paper (like special marker paper, it usually have something written on it that says it's good to use with markers) = not as dry markers. The shinier the paper, the less it absorbs, I've come to notice as a rule of thumb, sorta. Try it and see, you'll want some kind of paper that blends the colors nicely and yet doesn't bleed to much, and of course doesn't dry out the markers. Finding the right paper is an art itself, it seems to me. Or any medium, for that part.
That explains so much... THANK YOU!
It sounds like you're using the wrong paper. Try something less absorbent. Also, layers are your friends.
Okay, I will.
Thanks! XD
Give the marker a break. You can't drag it out across an entire page a bunch of times and expect it to retain its usual consistency all through.
Just be careful when resuming where you left off. :)
I shall do that xD
I haven't used markers since cheap Crayolas when I was a wee lass, so I'll just add that I have to bake a birthday cake on Tuesday and after my recent flaming cookie fiasco I'm afraid to use our shitty oven. :ohnoes:
Okay then... Well, good luck with that! XD