Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 145

Telling the truth = bad friend?

:iconhkepoetry:
hkepoetry Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Have you ever been told you're a bad friend, only because you told the person your honest feelings or thoughts?
I have experienced this with some certain people I call or have called friends, and I can't for the life of me understand how me not lying to them makes me a bad friend.

It's not like I'm telling them how I truly feel with the purpose of hurting their feelings. I tell them the truth because I wouldn't want my friends lying to me, so therefore I don't lie to them.

But here's the thing: it doesn't matter how many times I explain that to them, they STILL get offended. They know very well that I will not lie just to make them happy, since they know just as much as I do that they will get MORE offended if they found out I had been lying them straight in the face.

Seriously... what the fuck?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Dec 20, 2012  Student General Artist
I feel your pain.

I value honesty so things can go blunt.

And yeah.. they don't like it too.

But don't worry, my best friend is used to my bluntness so I really have no problem.
hkepoetry Dec 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I am glad someone feels it, too. Although it's kinda sad that we do, dontcha think? ;P

My closest friends are used to my bluntness as well, but some are just... meh. XD
:iconkell0x:
Kell0x Dec 19, 2012  Student General Artist
It really depends on the situation.

If you ever got a nice goat, A new bag, a job, an new haircut, a new relationship won an contest.
There is a big chance one of your many friends don't care or don't like it. But it's kind of a dick mood to be negative when a friend is so happy. So it's not going to hurt anyone just by lying to show your friend your happy for them. If you don't like Justin Bieber music ? Fine but then don't go on a rant if your friend is happy she is going to a concert with her sister of Bieber that she won.
:iconraidenprime:
Why not simply get new friends? Besides, a good friend would lie for you. Not to you.
:iconscorpafied:
i do agree but it depends on how hurtful the truth is going to be. for example i eat alot and i know if i keep doing it not only will i be dead before im 50 but my life is going to be miserable and im already showing signs of being a fat ass.

yet if a friend said that to me id probably think there being an asshole rather then a friend even if they said it was to be a good friend. so just be careful how you put it.
hkepoetry Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, if you are aware of that you eat alot and if you don't stop eating like that you will die before you're 50, and if you say this in front of your friends... if I was your friend, I would have said something like this: "well, if you think you need to lose weight and cut down on eating so much, why don't you join me for my daily walks? It'll be good for you, and you will feel much better. ^^ And hey, why not join me when I go to the gym? :)"

However... if you complain and complain about your problem with overeating and do nothing about it, and if I as your friend did nothing to make you realize what you're doing to yourself, I might have to attend your funeral a few years later. Would that be better?
:iconscorpafied:
no not complaining i just saying even know thats my situation if someone were to point it out in that manner it wouldn't sound to great. honestly i dont really mind my situation because i do excercise alot its just a a bad diet thats all.

but yeah how you put it is good.the point i was really trying to make was how you say things is everything and really can alot of the time be responcibile for how a person reacts to whats been said.

what weve said is a good example. how i first put my situation if a friend said hat id probably get rather angry at him. but if he put it like you did id be happy that he cares that much. see my point?

but honestly if you were that nice about it, id say your friend is either very tempremental or has some serous issues. either way i wouldn't say its anything you did.
:icondeizzan:
Nah, you're fine. As a bad friend I don't believe that by telling them the truth you're hurting them. I could be worse, you could be like me and have no actual concern for your friendships. I have been told many times that I'm a bad friend. I blame the fact that I don't care.
:iconsmarticleparticle:
SmarticleParticle Dec 16, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Personally I'd rather be told the truth so I can avoid embarrassing myself in front of people who wouldn't laugh it off like my friends would. Who would want a friend who lies to them all the time?
hkepoetry Dec 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Exactly! :iconfacebooklikeplz:
Add a Comment: