Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
December 7, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Lights? For an art show? You don't need those, do you?

:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Dec 7, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
A local gallery/museum/art center is having a show this weekend and we're in it, we ran by yesterday to set up. We've all been in this building before, the show is in two small halls, there isn't room or (we think)need to set up the actual booth with lights and all so we just took some shelves and the blown glass.

As we're setting up, we're like 'it's kinda dark in here...'. Not black or anything. Just not really as bright as you would expect for people to get a really good look at stuff. Looking up, we see lots of lights, about half of them are on. Ok, saving energy, got it.

Nope. Half the bulbs burned out FOREVER ago. And they didn't replace them. Because, and this is the excuse, they have to get a lift in there to do it. And nobody feels like doing that, so they don't replace them.

I wonder what's going to happen when the rest of them burn out.

On the good side, VERY cool exhibit of ritual costumes from Bali upstairs.

AND I found two little fused glass fairy ornaments I made probably 10 years ago out on the main gallery floor. They were really popular for a while, but I stopped making them because they were pain in the butt. They all sold, and I didn't keep any. I wish I had my camera with me, I would have taken some pictures.

tl;dr Lights? We don't need no stinkin' lights

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthisismyboat:
thisismyboat Dec 7, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Hah, this is like the gallery I work at. All our lights are in working order and the superiors are pretty good about having their ducks in a row, but some of the girls at the front desk are incredibly dense. We had a show where a video was being shown from a projector. It was finicky, but all you needed to do was unplug/replug and it works fine for the whole day. One day I was working with someone other than my usual partner, and I found out for the last few weeks they haven't been playing the video.
"You just unplug it and replug it."
"We couldn't reach."
"There's ladders in the backroom where you come in every day."
"Oh, we didn't think we could use them."

I'm pretty sure that exchange was just code for "We're too lazy to do our jobs", because the projector isn't even that high up and even the regular-sized ladders are pretty easy to carry. I can't even think of why anyone would get mad for you using a ladder to fix an essential part of the show. I shudder to think what other things they haven't done because they didn't want to get out of their chairs.
:iconmattyohh:
I thought you said costume ball, and I got really excited. costumes from bail aren't.
That would have been fun.
:iconmattyohh:
Make them do that. Post the results. If you don't i'll cunt punt you.
Hmmm, might be able to convince them by Halloween...
:iconmartypunker:
martypunker Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
I like how you bash them for being lazy and then say you stopped making something because you're lazy.
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Dec 7, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Not maintaining something that you need is a little bit different to stopping a hobby ...
The internet is super serious, too.
lol not quite the same thing. I'm not telling people to come display their work hanging off of my fairies then not have any for them to hang stuff on..

It wasn't being 'lazy' so much as the time it took to make them was way more than I could charge, and there was considerable waste of material. For every set of legs I could use, for instance, I had at least as much bits of waste, and since they were fused as opposed to blown we couldn't re-melt the waste or use it for decoration on blown pieces, not compatible with our base glass. Shipping was a huge pain, too. And I didn't particularly like them. Our business primarily ships to galleries, so there is some stuff that we will make because other people like them. But I couldn't make enough money off of them to justify the pain in the ass.
I was kidding, anyhow. :B
Add a Comment: