I work in retail...

In a very big, very busy mall, and it's the holidays.

What the fuck is wrong with parents these days that they think it's okay to let their bratty, rude, snotty little 11 year old girls troll around the mall in packs of 2-4, irritating sales people, trying to get free stuff, and generally making me feel like I'm babysitting for irresponsible pricks?

Watch your own fucking kids.
Comments36
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I really can sympathize with you. Working in retail is hard enough let alone having to deal with looking after other peoples children :disbelief:. I think it's an incredibly poor example for these parents to be setting for their kids :/
There's always fast food?
I only read the title, you had my sympathy then.
I completely agree and they always try and get free stuff and its life No go to your parents if you want this.
Dude shut the fuck up.

I work at a TOY STORE in the heart of DOWNTOWN. :stare:

And I absolutely fucking love it.
The kids are hardly ever out of control (mainly because parents know its suicide to their wallets to bring in a kid in a toy store or outside really..)
As do I.

Thank fucking god I don't work in a mall, though. That's just nuts.
I work in retail...

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Put on a ski mask and break out the chain saw. :unimpressed:
I work in the shut the fuck up business
So you're a mormon?
The kids are 11, old enough to wander around on their own without getting lost, and not yet old enough to know how to deal with people. It's their purpose in society to be obnoxious.
An ability not to get lost does not equal an ability to be out roaming without an adult, specifically because they cannot handle themselves in public. If something happens and they end up on the news, what then, ya know? It's like their parents think that the whole world can babysit their kids.
11-year-olds can handle themselves well enough usually. If they do something stupid enough to end up on the news, they probably had it coming to them and who knows if their parents would even have been able to do anything about it. The news? That's what you come up with?
Generally 11-years-olds are the ones doing the babysitting if younger ones are around. I was just expecting a younger age to be mentioned. Because younger ones can do more damage without realizing it.
A 11 year old is not old enough to be alone, and they are definitely not old enough to look after younger kids.

There was a 14 year old boy abducted one suburb away from me. If a 14 year old boy is easily taken, then how much of a chance does a 11 year old have?
I see people leaving kids alone in the kid playground in the shopping centre. A six year old girl came up to me crying and said her mum had left her to go shopping.
I know. It's so wrong. I'm not into helicopter parenting, at all, but there is a line, and leaving young children alone in crowded areas cross it.

My friend has a mentally disabled brother, and when they go to the shops, they just let him go off alone. Even a week after a mentally disabled man was sexually assaulted in that shopping centre.

It makes no sense :iconwatplx:
I'm guessing the mother thought that all the other parents would look after her child as well as theirs. But the girl was crying for a few minutes before she came up to me and none of the other parents seemed to even notice.

Sometimes I think some parents don't even care what happens to their kid.
In a group of four in a public place? My brother was looking after me when he was 11.
Yes, even in a group. A 12 year old boy was nearly taken the shopping centre near me when he was waiting outside the toilet, for his 13 year old sister to come out of the toilet.

I've heard of groups of children being taken before too, especially with people using the 'Are you X? your mummy is ill and she told me to come pick you up.'
I acknowledge your vastly superior knowledge of worst case scenarios. It's still far likelier not to happen.

I can't imagine a group of 11-year-olds voluntarily running off with someone they've never seen before. Younger, perhaps, 11 or older, not so much. Especially now with cell phones.
View all replies
generic complaint is generic