It's just a bit of fucking snow, dammit!

Why is it in this country, that whenever we have even a light dusting of snow, the entire country locks up?

It's just a bit of fucking snow! And I hear on the news today that two of our region's major airports had to close their runways, and nearly 200 people got themselves involved in road accidents because they're obviously thick and don't know how to drive. :x

Snow, people. Why does it screw us up so much?
Comments172
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's usually because, since they don't get snow very often, it's not worth investing thousands of dollars in equipment and thus, they don't have any way of clearing it when it does happen. There are areas in the US (especially the south) that completely shut down for a bit of snow too because they just don't have any way of dealing with it.
Funnily enough, the UK can cope with floods up to 20cm without even hitting the news, in London at that, we'd never manage THAT in Germany, where we don't give a fuck about what brits call snow. I always preferred the UK version. Snow happens less.
Is Germany usually warmer? What's your average winter temperature?
Colder. A lot.
I think it's because our country's weather is so miserable most of the time, anything resembling a real season causes them to freak out. It happens in the summer too whenever it gets above 20 degrees, you know :XD:
Yes, but it's more bearable in the summer.
You guys are lucky to have snow at all.
I'm jealous.
Summer trololo's Australian Christmas with 25+ degree sunny hot goddamn weather.

So whenever I hear the two words "white" and "christmas" together in a jingle down in Australia I curse it and everything it stands for.
Wow, now I'm starting to feel bad. :(
You guys lock up(like most of wester and southern europe) because you lack the balls we north and east europeans have ;).

Now in all seriousness It's about being used to it and preparation. And more fine technology something uses the more vulnerable it is, such as Iphone 3(i recall it was that) had an issue of not working when exposed to cold. But the very same aplies to very hot places with lots of sand too.

Thsi reminds me, "why in fantasy works the nothmen are described as hardier that others?" Because we f*ing are! ;P
I'd still rather have a very hot place with loads of sand. A Southern Spanish beach, for example.
I prefer my very hot place being a sauna. Especially during winters, heat it up, sweat a good bit, then go roll in snow and back in to heat up, rinse and repeate untill finished and go cool down outside while enjoying a cold beer.

Got to love this season :D.
You have access to a sauna... I'm so jealous.
Then come in Finland(or sweden if you prefer "not as hot as ours"-saunas) more saunas that you can imagine ;).
Eh. they never seen canada lol.

Well when you're not used to black ice....
I didn't think it was cold enough for ice, just for snow.
If it's cold enough for snow, it's cold enough for ice.
Not necessarily. Ice forms only at 0 degrees or below; snow can fall at anything up to around 5 degrees.
Hmm, Were you asleep for the winters of 2009/10 and 2010/11 or what? You should no damn well what trouble snow can cause when a country isn't prepared or used to it.
I was hibernating at that time.
:( I don't get snow where I'm at.
You're lucky, then.