Closed to new replies
November 30, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 137

Glorifying What Shouldn't Be.

:iconforeveranonymously:
foreveranonymously Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I tend to somewhat disagree with the theory that teenage girls (and boys) are now more pressured by the media and that's why so many are depressed, have eating disorders, etc. I think that does play a role, but another major part of it is that mental disorders are now being glorified. There are blogs dedicated to pictures of self-harm and "thinspiration", and it's really kind of asinine. So many people (especially teenage girls) now claim that they have OCD, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, anorexia, etc. When they have simply been taught that being sad for a few days means you're depressed, and that it now grants them attention. Don't get me wrong, lots of people do honestly suffer from these disorders, but you shouldn't be making claims based on what you've seen or heard. If you truly think you have a mental disorder of some sort, discuss it with a therapist, don't paste it all over the internet where ANYONE can know. MENTAL DISORDERS ARE NOT SOMETHING TO GLORIFY. YOU SHOULD NOT BE POSTING ON FACEBOOK ABOUT ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE WRONG WITH YOU. I understand, these can serve as ways of coping, but so many people are faking these things that it can be hard to tell. So just please, take a step back and think for a while before you diagnose yourself with something.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
This is the number one reason why I hate Tumblr now (and hate doesn't even begi to describe it). I am legitimately bipolar (type 1, diagnosed several years ago) and it's damn awful. It's beyond my comprehension why things like that are glorified. I absolutely despise how while I'm trying so hard to get better, there are people who are absolutely fine and pretending just to get attention. Take it from me, bipolar disorder and depression are not things you want. And in reality, people don't love you more or give you good attention for having it. You become an outcast and someone that other people don't seem to want to be around after a while. I think what teenagers nowadays have to realize is that everyone has their own weight to carry. It's normal to be sad, stressed, or anxious. I can't stand how these kids act like they're the only people who have problems.
foreveranonymously Featured By Owner Dec 9, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Yes! People on tumblr are some of the most irritating I've encountered, and it seems like all these people just expect NOTHING to go wrong and for their lives to go as planned. It doesn't happen like that for anyone. We all have problems and we all need to deal with them without jumping to the worst of conclusions (i.e.- a medical disorder)
:icona-cha4649:
A-CHA4649 Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student General Artist
I decided a long time ago to never, ever deal with those types of people. I'm a brutally honest person, but I'm not going to deal with that kind of shit, if the person isn't even going to listen to other people's advice. I've seen several posts from teenage girls talking about their "disorders", and I gotta say... It's very hard not to say anything. I guess I'm lucky I have high-tolerance, otherwise I'd be looking like a real asshole all the time.
foreveranonymously Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
You and me both. I just want to punch some people in the face at times.
:iconcolbatros:
Colbatros Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Student Writer
And what's sad is as soon as you finally muster the courage to ask for help, people shut you down, saying that 'you're just faking it' and that everything's going to be okay if you ignore it.

These little shits who fake mental disorders just to get attention make me want to bash their head into a wall. Yes, I know it's a phase, and I've gone through it. At least now I know that when I just feel like telling my problems to the whole wide world, then it probably isn't that much of a problem after all.

And also, what really pisses me off are these people blaming shitty parenting or any behaviour that's slightly different from other kids as a mental illness. Stop drugging the child and actually raise it.
:iconsummitstars:
summitstars Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
THANK YOU. You speak the truth!
foreveranonymously Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Exactly! No child is going to act "normal", because everyone has a different definition of the word, so in no way can we expect our child to be perfect mentally. Everyone has issues, some are just more severe than others.
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I agree with this.

But this has been an issue so many people come here to complain about.
Although this is a serious matter, all you're going to get here is a bunch of negative comments. :no:
foreveranonymously Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Actually, I haven't gotten any negative comments so far, thankfully.
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
Well, it is a serious matter. people understand that. ^^
Add a Comment: