November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 252

So my manager called me a bitch.

:icontheliarwolfram:
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
Big ole rant here.

First off, I'm mentally ill, and because of the American with Disabilities Act, accommodations are required for me. All I asked was that, if I'm really stressed out, I need a break. That's it. I was about to have a panic attack at work and I asked. No break. I got five minutes. To anyone who's mentally ill, that's not a lot of time to calm down. Strike one against my manager.

Secondly, I was getting behind on orders because I'm new at my job at things were really busy. I work at a fast food restaurant, and there's a coordinator who puts all the food into a bag before it goes out the window. I was behind, so as soon as we weren't busy, I tried to be nice to the coordinator and stock her station. Then I hear her talking about me to another employee, calling me "slow" and "a bitch." I'd said nothing mean to her--she just wanted something to talk about.

The dishwasher broke. I'd have to do dishes till two in the morning with my hands. I've done that before, but at home, where I don't have over 200 dishes to clean.

So, I'm having a panic attack, and I just leave the building, decide I'm done. My friend picks me up and we go through the drive thru to return my headset, and the manager asks who called me a bitch because I let everyone inside with a headset know that I was quitting at the order screen. I explained why I was quitting, I was polite, and I said I didn't appreciate being called a bitch. My manager goes "I'll be the first one to call you a bitch" and walked off.

So yeah. We called corporate. Firstly, I didn't deserve that. Two, that's against the Americans with Disabilities Act. I'm really upset right now, and I don't know what to do about this.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012   Traditional Artist
I have a classmate who can be really funny, but also a total fucking bitch and I'm growing tired of her. She's depressed, I think she's been suicidal, and she generally has a lot of problems. In the beginning I was as respectful to her as I could, both in the way that was shown to her and in my thoughts. Now I can't keep it in the latter :stare:

It's just too fucking much at times. It's "I am depressed which means I have higher intelligence according to studies blah blah blah light therapy blah blah pills blah blah give me respect I demand it! Shut up, don't interrupt me! Shut up, my turn to talk! I have this and that diagnose, RESPECT ME!!! DON'T WALK BEHIND ME OMFG HOW DARE YOU!! Blah blah oh I have to go home now 4 hours before school ends because I'm depressed, mmkay, bye :aww:"

I can understand that she needs a break. I can understand that her diagnoses make things difficult for her. But what I can not stand is that she demands sooooo much fucking respect without giving any of it back. She interrupts everyone, goes off topic, pulls the extension cord somewhere only she can use it and she used my math book and took an assload of time to give it back. 80% of what she ever talks about is her depression, treatments and diagnoses and believe me: she talks a LOT. And I'm going to be stuck with her for another two and a half years. :stare:

Your previous manager can come back with her "bitch" if you ever act like THAT.
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Filmographer
Wow. No, I'm not like that, ha ha. People definitely take advantage of their own disabilities. Not everyone, but some do. I'm honest with my friends about it, but I'd much rather talk about The Hobbit movie coming out than the fact that I have mental problems. I mean, come on. Martin Freeman and Ian Mckellan? Squee!

But anyway, yeah, I completely understand. I don't use my disability as an excuse. I just had a panic attack and needed to get out because there was too much going on. I don't care that I was called a bitch. I care that my manager couldn't follow ADA regulations and give me a fifteen minute break so I could relax. That's what isn't cool.
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012   Traditional Artist
Yeah, I completely understand, and agree with, your point. :nod:
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
:iconfacebooklikeplz:
:iconkitsumekat:
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
Wow. I take it no one actually read your thread and posts.
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012  Student Filmographer
Seems like it.
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
After reading your posts, I see why you would report it. Have a full blown panic attack in a hostile evironment and not given time to calm down. Quitting quietly without a scene.
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012  Student Filmographer
Yeah, and I didn't make a scene, either. That's not me. I didn't want to be wheezing and freaking out in front of everybody, so I just left.
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Dec 4, 2012
It's a good thing you did though. I don't think making a scene is good for the costumers.
:iconjessicaann87:
JessicaAnn87 Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
if you cant handle the job find a different one. She shouldnt be talking about her employees that way either though
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Filmographer
Yeah, already got a better job
:iconjbrenthill:
jbrenthill Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You should file a complaint with whoever supervises him. That may not change anything, but what he said and did to you was wrong and completely unprofessional!
:iconmapper3:
mapper3 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
:iconfryplz:
Not sure if I should troll, or if I should read the actual post...
:iconmingplz::icontealdeerplz:
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Filmographer
I know, confusing, huh?
:iconnicolettethestrange:
Nicolettethestrange Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
a) You should feel proud of yourself for trying
b) You should fee proud of yourself for being open and honest with them and seeking the authority over them for treating you in the way that they did.

and c) Working with pets? Nawwwww how cute! :aww:
:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Try looking for slow paced jobs.
:iconhametsunocharge:
HametsuNoCharge Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Dude, working in the food service....even I can tell you that's not good for anxiety disorders. Even the most chipper of people have problems staying happy in such places. Trust me I know.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Just being nice isn't enough to stop people from calling you names and you shouldn't be applying for places you're incapable of working anyway.
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
if you were disabled, then why did you apply for a job there IN THE FIRST PLACE?
:roll:
:icongraveyardbat:
GraveyardBat Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
People need to make money to live? duh
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 1, 2012
No. She could go anywhere. Just not in a place which requires her to move FAST.
duh.
GraveyardBat Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I think all jobs require you to be efficient anyway.
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2012
I know but for her condition she has to be wise about where she wants to work :(
GraveyardBat Featured By Owner Dec 3, 2012
In this economy and natural state of jobs one can't be too picky.
TheLiarWolfram Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Filmographer
Good question. It was the first place to hire me, and I really thought I could do it. I wanted to believe I could do something I couldn't. I've already got a new job doing something I actually love and am capable of doing.
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
okay.
kitsumekat Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
I can see why you would report it in.
:iconweaserpuff:
weaserpuff Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I really do sympathize with you to an extent. Panic attacks are horrible, and it's not easy feeling like you're doing to die in the middle of a rush. It's happened to me before, and I also work in a restaurant that's fast paced and demanding. I saw that you mentioned already obtaining a new job that's more your fit, which is good, and congrats. :)
Although what your manager said probably wasn't in good taste at the restaurant you were at, it's definitely easy to see why he was frustrated. Some people are horrible at projecting their feelings, but leaving in the middle of a shift entirely screws a restaurant over because it's all team work and everyone relies on each other. If you really did go back an apologize though, that was nice of you. Everyone makes mistakes but rarely corrects them, so it was good of you to do that and consider a job more your fit the second time around. Just take this as a lesson learned and hope the new job works out better for you, it might even help you cope with the illnesses you have.
Yeah, animals really help calm me down, so I hope this new job's a better fit for me. I couldn't just leave and not apologize. I didn't expect my job back, but I had to say something, you know? I know what I did screwed everyone over, but I tried my best to correct it after the fact.
Yeah, it was good of you to do that at least. Most people wouldn't have had the courage to do that, myself including. Best of luck with your new job! :)
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Nothing in fast food restaurants is of good taste...
Yeah, I actually thought about that after I posted. The people, the food... lol
*going to die, can't type today
:iconthecoin-operatedgirl:
theCoin-operatedGirl Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
While I understand accommodating your disabilities, you do realize that a place like a fast food restaurant doesn't really have room on their staff for someone who can't handle heavy business, a quick pace or a person being rude to them, right? They're all like that. If you need a lot of breaks during heavy business, even if it's alleviate your stress, they'll always need at least one extra person there to cover you, which they probably can't afford for most shifts.

You have to understand you're own limitations. I work the closing shift specifically because it allows me to work with fewer people (less work "drama") during a less busy time of day and with a more work-at-your-own pace setting besides handling the few customers we get at that time of night. Fast food is the last place that anyone with ANY disability should choose to work. A girl with some form of Autism used to work with my company and they could only give her 2 hour shifts Monday through Friday, because all she was able to do was keep up the dining room. Half of the time we had to send her home early because we didn't get enough business to afford her to be there.

And while you were upset and had had enough of your job, consider that most of the time when we have a new person, the staff at my store is MUCH less friendly than the girl who said you were slow and were a bitch. They'll be riding ass and letting you know to your face that they think you're shit at your job and need to speed the hell up and not screw up. As far as dishes go, I wash every single dish in the entire store BY HAND every night. It's not hard or too inconvenient. It's about working efficiently. It's nothing something I was born able to do, it's something I learned after pushing myself to do better instead of giving up and quitting.

If I were your manager, and you just left during your shift for any reason, and THEN through the drive through speaker said you were quitting because your job wasn't easy enough for you, I'd probably call you a bitch to your face too. That's literally the shittiest thing you can do to a fast food company. The proper way to handle something like that would have been to just tell the boss you quit in private and THEN left. You don't have to make a huge scene and act like your an innocent victim. Hell, the REAL proper way to handle it would have been to finish your shift like an adult and then told them you wouldn't be coming back.
I understand and respect your position on the issue, but the one thing I didn't add in this is that I was having a real panic attack--full blown, because I hadn't had a break--when I left. I could barely breathe, and every fiber in my being was screaming, "leave, leave!" It was a really horrible way to leave, and I really regret my decision now, but thankfully I got a job literally the next day. I went in and apologized to the staff that was there.
theCoin-operatedGirl Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Ah, it'd still have been better to tell them "hey I'm having a panic attack I'm leaving, I quit," but yeah, you aren't exactly thinking straight when you're having one.

At least it all worked out well for you. Hopefully it's a better job situation than fast food?
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
The question you didn't answer is: Why were you being a bitch?
I know, right? Well, I may have been a little short with the coordinator, but she was being equally short with me. The difference is that I didn't go up to another employee and start talking about her while she was being nice and stocking my station.
:icongvcspecks:
gvcspecks Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
my teacher called me a dick....i didn't read your post....
:iconcindarellapop:
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Honestly, if my manager called me a bitch, I'd up and quit too. I'd probably make a much worse scene of it than you did though. Perhaps the customer service side of work isn't your thing, maybe something where you could work at your own pace and not have to deal with customers or loud people would be better? Maybe something like a janitorial job if you're cool with a night shift? (I've been trying desperately to escape the 'stand at the counter and help people' job market myself for some time but so far no dice.)
theCoin-operatedGirl Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
The manager called her a bitch after quitting. If someone just left the store, and then through the drive through speaker said that they were quitting for being called a bitch by a coworker, I'd probably call them a bitch too. It really screws over the entire staff and lacks maturity. If you plan on quitting, even if you plan on quitting RIGHT NOW with no two weeks, you just tell the damn manager that you quit and THEN leave.
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
If what she said was true and she was being called a bitch earlier by a manager, then Hell, I'd probably walk right out too. If I'm going to be treated poorly and called names, you can be sure I'll end up doing something to deserve it. Especially if the person being a jackass is supposed to be in charge. I do agree that she should have at least told them she quit before up and walking out.
I think it was just another coworker who said it the first time, but if I honestly took it to heart every time I was called something rude at my job I'd have quit at least once a week for the last 6 years. But their bullshit isn't worth my worry since I'm not paid to give fucks about what they think.

Granted, it used to hurt, but I'm glad I stuck it out and dealt with it since I'm much less sensitive to that stuff now. On really shitty stressful days I'd just go to the freezer and cry while grabbing stuff to restock the fry station, that way I'd get my 15 seconds to let my emotions out without hurting the flow of business.
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Aw :iconsadtardplz: I've not been made to cry at work before but I think my coworkers are a teensy bit intimidated by me.
My number 1 response to any surge of emotions is to cry. Especially if I'm mad or frustrated and can't do anything about it. But it happens a lot when I'm happy too (which is annoying, and I blame too many emotional episodes of Doctor Who).

I work with some really fierce people. It's not a bad thing in itself because they're really strong workers, but it also means that you pretty much can't have a bad day no matter how good you normally are at your job.
CindarellaPop Featured By Owner Nov 30, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Aw :C
I tend to just bottle up my emotions so they can fester quietly as a mental illness.
:lol: I used to have really really bad anxiety but at some point a year ago (for whatever reason) I just started crying a lot. And my anxiety has gotten a lot better since then. It's irritating and makes people feel uncomfortable, but better than having anxiety attacks.
(1 Reply)
:icondayandevarlo:
DayanDeVarlo Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Welcome to the world.

Actually I think you should consider applying for a job you <know> you can do. You need to be aware of your abilities and limits. You obviously gonna get panic attacks in a crowded environment where it's all stress and hurry. If you call quits, you make the rest of the day hell for the other staff members, as well as the manager who has to deal with it. And honestly, if I got upset and walked away every time I got called things, I never would have gotten an education of any sort, jobs of any sort. It's just how it works. And guess what, I have a mental thing here myself, I just don't use it to get jobs or advantages of any sort.

Or if you have such needs to be sheltered from minimal (yes, I call that minimal) discomfort caused by people's words (people whose work, willingly or not, you made harder), I recommend working from home or not working at all.
I DON'T just quit, though. I got through school, went through two shit jobs, and afforded an apartment because I didn't quit. I quit my job so quickly because I was panicking, couldn't breathe, and couldn't think straight. I left in a panic because I felt trapped. (I have medication for this, but I currently cannot afford it) I went in and apologized to the staff members and gave a letter of apology.
:icondayandevarlo:
DayanDeVarlo Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Which is all good, I suppose! All I'm saying is calling people names is just as much a gut reaction for some as it is for others to panic when they feel trapped. It's good that the situation got resolved (rather) peacefully, but unless you prepare for it or avoid it, it's bound to happen again in the future.
It's crappy that you can't afford meds though. I'm sure you'll find a more peaceful job and then I hope it gets better for you both ways.
Add a Comment: