As someone who falls under the LGBT umbrella, I don't think...

But the writing on deviantArt gives us a bad image.

I'm not exactly gay (I'm bisexual)... but I'm sure gay people are NOT people who don't suffer every day and lead normal lives without kicking themselves. People like me AREN'T victims. On the inside, we are normal people! I mean, if we had a normal conversation, you wouldn't notice my sexual orientation. Sure, I feel uncomfortable with certain people, but it's not anywhere close to the level described on various pieces of "literature" on deviantArt.

For example:
What It Is Like To Be GayI feel so abandoned
Amidst the waking of a midnight dream
Locked, victim of a cave-in
The misty, loosened seams

The seams of my slowly dying life.

Vanishing, leaving with a blink, disappearing
Misunderstood, I find myself forgotten
After all this time, I find myself still hearing
The words of those who haunt me

All because I kissed a girl.

Walking upon the cobblestone paths
Never finding a soul with an ear
Unable to do the prejudiced wrath
That they, the unforgiving,
Have brought down upon me.

Please, won't anyone listen?

Listen, please! To our woeful cries
To the shouts of those you dub as condemned
Someday you'll finally see into our

Yes, I fight for these rights. Yes, I recognize people are bullied for these things. But please, please, don't be so heavy handed. We're not humans who became non-humans after some misadventure and are desperately trying to be humans again. We're humans, period.
Comments68
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you were to read literature about everyday life, it's pretty boring (Our Town, anyone?). When you're writing about feelings, it's probably going to get pretty heavy-handed. Especially in something like poetry. That's not the way of life, it's the way of art. Art gets romantic sometimes.
I'm not making gay people sound pitiful. I'm describing my life experience indirectly through this piece, and I do know people who went through this experience as well.

I live in San Francisco, and I'm lucky to be here because a lot of gay people are here too and SF doesn't bother us much. Only some people know that I'm am bisexual and/or gay... I'm not sure exactly which is the case.

deviantART is a place for art. It's a place to express yourself. You also didn't need to make this public, you realise, although I really don't mind much because it doesn't affect me. I use dA to write about my experiences, and you really do not know what I've gone through.

I'll tell you this, though... when I was in kindergarten, I had no idea that I was bisexual. So when I kissed a girl who was one of my good friends without any idea that it was "wrong" in the eyes of the kids at my school, a large gang of them followed me around. They hit me and kicked me repeatedly. My legs bled a lot, and I kept coming home with bruises. When my mother asked me where I got them, I said I tripped, because I was afraid what SHE would think. I still have a scar on my ankle that hasn't faded for years... although God knows how it managed to stay there.

I live in a Christian, to be exact, Roman-Catholic family. I was raised thinking gay people are bad and protesting strongly against them in my home, and what do you think I felt when I figured out I was gay, myself? To this day, my parents, aunts, and grandparents still tell me that to be gay is utterly wrong; my uncles don't care that much. My family still have no idea I am actually bisexual, and so they tell me it is bad. Right in front of me. It's like a slap to my face.

My aunt said just recently, "Being gay isn't right. But to be bisexual--that's the worst of them."

... I am bisexual. And right there, my favourite aunt, the one I love the most, is telling me to my face that it's wrong to be what I am. It's wrong, and if I were bisexual, she'd disown me. Did anyone ever tell you that before?

Really. This isn't exactly meant to stir up a lot of pity. It's meant to describe how some people can feel about this situation. I really, really don't think you'd understand my own experience.

And I'm not saying that gays not human. That is an assumption, and I think you forgot to read the line that states directly "We are human". I also wrote this in first person, if you noticed.

And I get the feeling that you posted this after seeing just my poetry. I really get that feeling, and it hurts to see that you, of all people, who claim to be bisexual like me, do not go out there and help other people to cope with their life experiences. Really.
everyone feels different about certain issues. just because you don't feel that way doesn't mean no one else does.
Eh, goes both ways, that.
What bothers me more is most of this writing isnt good enough to help us understand what the author is talking about.

I got bullied a bit. I also had friends. Real life friends, which you cannot substitute the internet for :l
You rejected me from CRLiterature. Bad person.

On a brighter note, I have written some other stuff that isn't avant-garde essays or emo poetry.
It's not a lit showcase group, lots of people get rejected. If i did it, though, i assume I didn't put in the friendly note recommending other groups.

How is an essay avant garde?
I mean essays on avant-garde topics.

Try these two?
[link]
[link]
/fail... I think I deleted them.
Or this was some other "elite" and "selective" literature group. Don't remember.

Oh well, can't be creative and experimental without having a few bad pieces once in a while.
Pff, cliterature doesn't have an application process. :P
I feel like some of the people in this thread are disagreeing just to disagree. If the OP, for instance, took the side of the people he's talking about, the phrase "Harden the Fuck Up" would be used relentlessly, and most of us know it.

I actually side with the OP. Considering I was bullied throughout my school life; had an abusive lover who berated me every day for two years about being trans (as well as being prone to violence); and a father who would rather kick me out but won't because his wife will divorce him; I can say that I did harden the fuck up, because I realized part of the problem was my doing. I realized that I was letting things get to me when I should have just focused on my life and my decisions, so I finally started to live life the way I wanted to. I got past the bullying, got out of the abusive relationship, and finally started to deal with the conflicts I had with my father.

Is everything just fine now? Of course not; there are still challenges I'm facing and challenges I will continue to face, but that's life. However, I'll be damned if I'm going to just sit there and wallow in my own sorrows, because I did enough of that in the past. The OP is right in regards to how people need to learn to deal with a world that is not nice. It's a world that does not care about you and will go out of its way to fuck you up royally. But if you let it destroy you, then it's your doing.

Unless something legitimately horrifying happens to you (getting beaten, raped, made homeless, killed, or something along those lines), you have no room to complain about your life.
Is everyone else here forgetting the T (transgender) ???

Anyways, like others said not everyone's experiences are the same as yours.

I don't see too much of a need for gay poems either, but people can do what they want. Some people use dA as an outlet. Just let people be and you'll find that life is less annoying.

Also, what I think there needs to be more of regarding LGBT on here is topics about Transgender people. Only positive things though. They still aren't too well-known, and they need to be accepted. But I guess we should follow baby steps and wait until the LGB part of LGBT is more so accepted.

Transgender people are hated more so than gays and bisexuals and whateversexuals, just saying.
Well, at least you see my (badly-argued) point. Some people just read the topic sentence and press BASH.
Yeah, I know how that is. Haha.

The only need I see for gay poetry is for an outlet (but keep it to yourself unless you feel like it MUST be up for people to see) or pro-gay stuff. That's all. But people can do whatever. Free will and all.
:unimpressed: you are joking right? .....if not you have a lot to learn about the world. :)
I probably do. =)
I don't even consider myself as part of the LGBT although everyone tells me i am ^^;
Why does everyone say you are? That's weird, I guess.
Apparently as trans im suppose d to identify under there, but i refuse to!
Oh, okay. You are technically in that group, but you don have to be a part of the community. Not all are.