Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
November 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 191

Whatever happened to the music industry?

:iconsonamyfan362:
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Writer
I know somme people will say they love today's music, and that there is nothing wrong with it. However, I don't understand, like, any of the stuff that comes out, nowadays.

For example, why is it that some songs feature sound that sounds like sirens, a woman panting like a dog, or a one lyric repeated so many times, that it simply distorts into the background music?

I don't have any children, at the moment. However, when I do get any, I think I'll introduce them to the kind of music I've grown up with - I'm afraid that today's music covers the wrong stuff, as well.

I once heard from a song "Yeah, *Bleep!* that bitch!" .... really? And, radio stations allow that? I think that same artist was also encouraging listeners to get into crime, abusing drugs and alcohol. I dunno.... that's what I am getting from today's music. I'm not attempting to insult people's choices of what they hear, nor am I trying to influence the public's preferred kind of music. These are all of my personal opinions.

One last thing: I really hope that the music industry will raise music standards, as a lot of the music from today sounds.... I dunno.... in one word.... "Fake". Again, I am not trying to be the guy who imposes his personal opinion on everyone else. I am merely asking about why it sounds like today's generation music is so.... yuck.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpsowill:
PSOWILL Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
MTV.
:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012   Digital Artist
I don't listen to the radio, I stick with my instrumentals & j-pop :D
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
Your username.. :roll:
:iconsoda-with-cyanide:
soda-with-cyanide Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student General Artist
Avoid the radio/music channels then. I've found some pretty rad songs/singers/musicians out there without listening to the radio or so.
:iconmischievouspooka:
MischievousPooka Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
" A woman panting like a dog" all I can think of from that statement is a song that came from the 80's called "Hungry like a Wolf." Some of these things you mention has happen before in the past with music.
SonAmyFan362 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Professional Writer
Try listening to "She Wolf". It's crap. The panting gets more annoying as the song progresses.
:iconmischievouspooka:
MischievousPooka Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
In "Hungry Like a Wolf" the sexual howling noises do increase as the song progress too. So "She Wolf" is still using something that a song in the 80's has done. There will always be bad songs from every era. Just find a station that has songs you enjoy.
Ok. I do put it on the rock station. It always airs the golden stuff that is actually musical to my ears.
:iconlexi247:
Lexi247 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Believe me when I say there is still good, new music out there.

It's called turn off that mainstream radio and search a bit.
:iconmikepav:
mikepav Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
the music industry has always been this way. this day/week/year/decade is no different from the previous.
:iconchibi-con:
chibi-con Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Very true, sadly. :c
:iconcandydechocolate:
CandyDeChocolate Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
yeah... most of it is true... but i guess do this for money :/ they create the kind of music that, it seems most of society wants to hear: they want to get dumb? Give them more dumb music! I think that introducing the new generations to old music is a fantastic idea; however, don't try to keep your children from hearing new music (I'm not saying let them hear songs with bad language. Show them just those ones with not a lot of insults) because it'll be like keeping them in a cave, not letting them see how world really is. And yeah, I agree that music industries should make a policy at least to regulate music with bad language because i think that those kind of music do influence how people interact :)
:iconthemisplacedend:
TheMisplacedEnd Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's really not that hard to find good music, all you have to do is ignore all the crap that has nothing appealing to anything besides popularity and things will start popping up.

I never really understood the whole "music these days is so bad!" argument. Music from every generation has bad stuff, not all the oldies are good. The majority of what I listen to is 2000 and up.

It just seems kinda silly. :shrug:
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It is no secret that the executives have forced artists to follow a set formula for music since as early as the 1980s, even earlier if you're particularly cynical. The reason they do it is because it makes money.

If you want music that does not belong on the Top 40, get on iTunes and look up your favorite album, then check out "Listeners Also Bought". It's a wonderful tool. Further, look beyond the Top 40; underground rap and metal, for example, are booming like crazy with creativity. Examples with underground metal (relax, none of these are the über brutal Satanic stuff... although 3 of these 4 do have death vocals):

[link] (from 2009)
[link] (from 2010)
[link] (from this year)
[link] (from last month)

If lyrical content (as opposed to musicianship) is what you look for in music most, though, I can be of no more help to you.
:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
stop listening to the radio then
I still do. I put it on the rockin' channel! :D!
:iconbabushka-nipples:
Babushka-Nipples Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Your name makes me want to kill myself. :)
Go ahead. It's your problem, not mine, that you hate it that much.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You're clearly listening to crap then. Here, have some REAL music.

[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Nice choices :thumbsup:
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Thanks! Figured I'd limit it to the absolute newest stuff I have in my collection. Had some older stuff I wanted to add, but I figured that would defeat the purpose of my post.
:icontacbot89:
tacbot89 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
Your name hurts my eyes, and spleen.
:iconvi0letdreamer:
vi0letdreamer Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Photographer
you're just not listening to the right kind of music. try this [link]
:icontotoka:
Totoka Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:sing: Whatever happened to predictability. The milk man, the paper boy, evening TV~
:iconh-irsch:
h-irsch Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Digital Artist
Every generation has bad music. Now stop complaining and go listen to the music you enjoy. No body's stopping you.
While I agree that every generation has bad music, I won't hold back on how I feel about how people's definition of music is strange sound, as I have the right to voice my own opinions. If you have problems with my personal input on today's entertainment, tell it to someone who cares.

And, so you know, yes, I do listen to the tunes I enjoy, thank you.
Course you have the right to express your opinion. Thing is, everybody has basically said the same thing. Music is just extremely judgmental.
Thank you for understanding that I am not being rude, here.

If I happen to feel the need to voice myself, I'll do it, even if it means getting heck from others. I just tell it like I see it.
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
This horse is so dead it's been beaten back to life again.

If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Beaten...off?
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
:icondaftplz::iconpunkplz:

These Gods will smite hideous music from the face of the earth.
:iconiwatchitall:
IWatchItAll Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, no. They're some of the worst offenders.
:iconskyfire2008:
SkyFire2008 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Maybe you should stop listening to crappy music? Past had an assload of horrible songs too, but nobody remembers them anymore.
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
buy some ear plugs.
:iconlaika-chan:
Laika-chan Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I think that same artist was also encouraging listeners to get into crime, abusing drugs and alcohol.

A long time ago, the same was said about rock music.
I think it's said about almost every genre.
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional
Welcome to music today!

There's this one image I've been dying to track down again, it's a thing comparing some shitty pop song to Bohemian Rhapsody... how the shitty pop song had like all these writers, it basically just repeating the same thing over and over and not actually saying anything... versus Bohemian Rhapsody which had only one writer and says so much more.
:iconblackrosekane89:
Blackrosekane89 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional General Artist
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Professional
A) Thanks!
B) Yeah, I know, google... but I also wasn't entirely sure how I'd phrase the search. I sure feel kinda silly now.
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
The music industry doesn't control the standards of shit. Perhaps you should use this vast, endless pool of information we call the internet you just so happen to be using right now to find something that a) isn't classic rock bullshit or whatever the fuck you listen to b) isn't insipid chart padding cash investments turned sound by a record company agent who's far more interested in profits than artistic merit. There's a gigantic world of music that doesn't touch X-Factor or your car radio.
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
Super bass
Superb ass.
:iconminajsmileplz:
:icondadona777:
dadona777 Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
:iconwhutplz:
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Filmographer
:iconminajsmileplz:
:icondadona777:
dadona777 Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012
:iconreactionplz:
Is that really what it is? :slow:

I didn't get If You Seek Amy either.
:iconquixotic-spark:
quixotic-spark Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Apparently it's supposed to be f-u-c-k-me when said fast enough. Still don't get it though. :lol:
You don't say it faster :P just listen to the way she says it: eff you see-kay-me
:iconquixotic-spark:
quixotic-spark Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
It still doesn't sound like it.
:iconmikepav:
mikepav Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012
F U C K me.
D:
Add a Comment: