November 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 58

Teaching as a Means of Self-Preservation

:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
:iconlesighplz:

So a few weeks ago I was given the opportunity to apply for a commission job at a computer repair shop. I went in, did the interview, got the job. I did my training as I was supposed to. Then after that, nothing. My boss has had nothing for me to do, and half the time isn't even around. So I have nothing to work on; thus I'm making no money. None.

And the problem is, there aren't any other jobs in this area. The only jobs right now are in education. And what I've noticed is there is always jobs in education, AND NOTHING ELSE.

Here's what I see when I look at those education jobs: Until a market actually opens up for the people a teacher is trying to teach, the teacher is really teaching them to become the teachers of the next generation. It's an endless cycle of taking the same job and passing it on from year to year without anything to show for it.

And don't get me wrong. I love teachers; I've had some amazing teachers and professors who I still look up to, even to this day. But it's absolutely pointless when there's nothing at all to branch out from. It's like you learn a skill, but the only way you can apply it is by teaching others that skill. And that annoys me to no end.

TL;DR: I want to work and there's nothing for me to do at the moment. I blame the system.

Devious Comments

:icondapineapple:
DaPineapple Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Closed by OP request. :lock:
:icondezenerate:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
I blame obmabobo
:iconsweetnspooky:
SweetNspooky Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Well its same in Quebec there . but we we got that Harper asshole wich gives all the money to canada :( Its not just cause of Obamabobo its same here XD
Regardless of who's in the OA, Congress hasn't been doing good either and it partially to blame for the nation's economic woes. Yet they seem to, more often than not, get off scot free. Why is that?
:icondezenerate:
Dezenerate Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
obrambo has been leachign $$$ from the Start. :| fueling his sick drug addicitons. Why else would he legalize weed?
:iconsweetnspooky:
SweetNspooky Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
lol. Dafuq was that? If id be president id like make Alcohol banned and weed Legalized. People on boozes are true dangerous assholes, drink and drive, violence, peeing everywhere , vomiting . Someone high on weeds ? is going to fall asleep while watching a movie
At least the deficit is going down now.
:iconlobosabio:
LoboSabio Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Has it ever crossed your mind that you could just waltz over to the nearest temp agency and apply there? That's how I got my current job.
My area doesn't have one that anybody knows of.
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You apparently aren't good at looking for jobs because it's HARD for teacher's to find good jobs.

You also need all skills taught to get good jobs, and not just teaching it to others :roll:
Are you kidding me? Every grade level from 1st grade to college is looking right now.

Wait, wait, you probably don't live in California, where nobody wants to teach because education is so terribly managed here.
No, I don't live in California. I know that there's more diversity in work in California than were I live. :roll: You just need to look harder.
And you need to learn how to argue. Seriously, you bitch at me how it's "oh so hard" for teachers to find jobs, I refute you saying there are openings everywhere, and you gloss over my point? What the hell?
You glossed over my point too if you haven't noticed.
And which point would that be?
Quote: "You also need all skills taught to get good jobs, and not just teaching it to others"
But if those "good jobs" are not available, you're stuck teaching it to others to earn your keep. Thus the old adage of anthropology majors.
(1 Reply)
:iconmartypunker:
martypunker Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
It's never too late to become a prostitute.
I would be the worse prozzy.
You never know until you try.
Don't tempt me. :eyes:
Just because I'm married doesn't mean I'm in need of a prostitute!
Damn, guess it's time for a different corner.
You'll find your niche market.
That involves teaching :noes:
No, it involves initiation. You were close, though.
Oh it involves teaching :eyes:
Oh, right. :eyes:
Who's ready for some learnin'? :iconeyesplz:
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The only jobs in your area are teaching? :unimpressed: I highly doubt that.
"SPECIAL EDUCATION
PARAEDUCATOR
at McKinley Preschool. 19.5 hours per week, $9.81 per hour. NCLB compliance required. Open Until Filled. Contact Sharon Mincher, Human Resources, Lassen County Office of Education, 472-013 Johnstonville Road North, Susanville, CA 96130, 530-257-7214, smincher@lcoe.org. Background investigations will be conducted. EOE.

SPECIAL EDUCATION
PARAEDUCATOR
at Johnstoville School. 19.5 hours/week, $9.81/hour. NCLB Compliance required. Open Until Filled. Contact Sharon Mincher, Human Resources, Lassen County Office of Education, 472-013 Johnstonville Road North, Susanville, CA 96130, 530-257-7214, smincher@lcoe.org. Background investigations will be conducted. EOE.

SUBSTITUTE
PARAEDUCATORS NEEDED
Do you have a high school diploma? If so, we may be able to help you become eligible to work as a Paraeducator. No experience necessary. For more information, please contact Sharon Mincher @ the Lassen County Office of Education, (530) 257-7214 or smincher@lcoe.org

SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS
NEEDED
Do you have a Bachelor's Degree? If so, you may be eligible to work as a Substitute Teacher. No experience necessary. For more information, please contact Stacy Russell @ the Lassen County Office of Education, 530-257-2197 or srussell@lcoe.org
TEACHER AIDE for Sierra Cascade Family Opportunities, Susanville Head Start Center. 27.5 hrs/wk, 40 wks/yr, $9.16-11.36/hr. Selected candidate will assist in operation of a preschool classroom. Must be 18 and possess a high school diploma or GED; 12 units Early Childhood Education preferred, including; child growth and development; child, family and community; and program curriculum, and six months work experience in a licensed child care center, bilingual skills desirable. Criminal background clearance required after offer of employment is made. Resume, transcripts and application must be received by 11/23/12, contact (530)283-1242 for application or visit www.headstart4u.org. Send to Cindy Hogg, 80 Main St., Quincy, CA 95971. EOE."

Most of the other positions are with Mental Health Agencies or Substance Abuse Agencies. That's educating in itself.
Where are you getting these listings?
The local newspaper. Also, if you go into the county career network office, there is an entire wall lined with want ads for teaching positions.
So two sources :B Wow, you're really working hard to get those jobs. You need to start going to businesses and ask if they are hiring. Not all businesses are gonna put an ad in the paper when they need help.
(Sorry, my 45 place remark was in my HWL thread. Didn't realize I hadn't mentioned it in this one).
:iconveronicarockstrom:
veronicarockstrom Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
I applied to well over 200 places, got about 4 interviews, and then I finally got a job. I also live in California.

Try harder, because you aren't.
I'm not sure if there are even 100 businesses in my town, or I would be doing the same.
(1 Reply)
You mean walking two miles in the rain and hitting up twenty businesses in two hours? Did that too. Also applied online to every retail chain in my area. Also tried applying to jobs at the county, state, and federal level. Hit up fast food too. It's been three months, and like I said, at roughly 45 places did I hand out resumes or applications. The others simply refused to take them.
So out of those 45, did they say they were hiring? Usually you need to check back with them. Tell them that you applied 3 months ago, and you're wondering if they're looking to hire. You need to take the initiative, not sit on your butt expecting them to just hire you.
You act as if I don't already do that. I check back more often than that and they tell me, "No. We have your application on file. We'll call you." I'm sick of hearing the same goddamn thing everywhere I go.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: