Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 27

My "Full of Shit" Senses are Tingling!

:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
So I was on the Tech board of the Dollars BBS when someone complained of their laptop not being able to boot properly. They described the symptoms as being that the computer will turn on, the fan will rotate, but the screen will remain black and nothing will load.

Having experienced this before working with two different machines, my first thought was that it was a Memory Bus connection error. Basically, if your computer isn't detecting your RAM sticks, BIOS will not load. Period, end of story. Re-apply the RAM sticks and try again; usually that fixes the problem.

Well, some idiot who probably has no experience with computers decides to post (calls himself Brandon), saying he thinks the OP's entire motherboard is fried. That would mean buying an entirely new laptop. So I insist that the OP at least try my method before tossing his old machine. I also suggested the hard drive be checked as well, just to be on the safe side. What happens next absolutely floors me.

"however a "ticking" fan and a non working screen can't possibly be an effect of RAM and hard drive failure since both of them are highly concerned to soft ware problems specially the hard drive" - Brandon's exact words.

:iconbangkillplz: No. NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! These are hardware devices! HARDWARE! They have to be picked up by the BIOS and pass a systems check. ESPECIALLY THE RAM STICKS! I mean, how stupid can you be? Seriously? You're telling the OP to THROW OUT what could EASILY BE A WORKING COMPUTER!

I don't get people.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student Filmographer
All of this

------------

My head
:iconcommandereve:
CommanderEVE Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Yes. I have noticed that when the RAM sticks have been removed and then put back in the slots sometimes small bits of dust in the RAM slot can interfere with the connection and the PC will not boot correctly.
:iconshobonimaster:
shobonimaster Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Wait until someone starts bragging about their computer based on nothing but having a huge HDD.
Sounds like compensating for something.
Probably.

When I brought up that a computer's performance was based on it's RAM, CPU, GPU ect to one they went "they included all that on the HDD for me".
:iconlolwattplz:
You read that right, I found someone so stupid the computer repair guys made them believe you can download hardware and save it on the HDD.
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Download hardware...
Save it on the HDD...

:iconbangkillplz:
I'm not kidding, the sad thing is, they'
re a college student.
:iconkinrift:
Kinrift Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
:icongoogolfacepalmplz: