Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 97

The art supply store in this town.

:iconmegstiel:
megstiel Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
So, recently an art supply store opened up here in my tiny town. Now, of course this was a good thing for me. Now I wouldn't have to go all the way to Santa Fe to get stuff (which is like a two hour drive and an all day trip).

I had received some money from my grandma in the mail and so naturally, I went to spend it because I don't know what a savings account is. I went inside of the store, and they were charging 25$ for a sketchbook that actually costs 8$ anywhere else. First of all, no. I am not paying that much. EVERYTHING IN THIS STORE WAS OVERPRICED LIKE WHAT.

While the cashier lady followed me around the store because I am a teenager, and by that logic I will probably steal something, I finally decided on a pack of overpriced Micron pens, because I fucking love those things. As I was checking out, the cashier lady looked at me suspiciously and said "Are you going to tattoo yourself with these?"

I looked at her and said "no."

She then looked at me again and said "somehow I'm not convinced."

OK LADY, listen. I want to make this purchase. I want to purchase these pens because I like to draw. On paper. I don't want to tattoo on myself or anything but if I want to fucking doodle on my skin in class I will. But I won't do it with my nice pens. I don't even know why this thought would cross your mind, is this some sort of new teen trend that some kid died of? Is this illegal? I'm not buying spray paint. I'm buying a pack of artist pens.

So I said "if I wanted to get a tattoo, I could just get a real one." Which is true. Because my dad works at a tattoo shop. But I don't want to get a tattoo. I just want to buy pens.

Then she and this other guy in the store started talking about how much they hated tattoos and blah blah blah blah. And of course when my dad walks into the store (covered in tattoos lol) they are totally polite to him and hand me my pens once they realize that I have an adult to help me buy pens. :roll:

JUST TAKE MY MONEY.

Tl;dr the one art supply store in this town sucks balls and I'm whining about it because I hate overpriced stuff and bad customer service.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconartemis-f-fox:
Artemis-F-Fox Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thats very irritating. I would've just given her a dirty look and walked out the store.
:icongluzzmunk:
gluzzmunk Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yeah... the art stores here are a pretty penny, so I just go to wal-mart for all of my shit.
megstiel Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
The wal mart here doesn't have anything except for like, kiddy stuff. :C Sometimes I wanna get a real sketchbook, instead of a coloring book.
:icongluzzmunk:
gluzzmunk Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Awww that sucks, they sell sketchbooks here where I live.
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What is this I don't even. :lol:
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012   Traditional Artist
How did she make the connection from Micron pens to tattooing?
And even if you were going to, why does she even care? It's not her business to care what you do with the pens and she should want to make the sale.

I buy so much crap with coupons, I dunno that I could go to an independent store anymore. Independents stores are probably better for something like framing, though. Michael's has the most overpriced framing I've ever seen. We framed something at Michael's around Christmas for like %85 off, went to a framing store at the mall and got quoted the pretty close to the same price.
megstiel Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
The closest connection I can find is that if you step into the tattoo parlor here (the nice safe one here my dad works, not the sketchy one) you can see a lot of those Micron pens lying around? Not because they're used for tattooing, but because a lot of the artists use them for drawing out designs on paper. She must have a pretty awful understanding of how tattoos actually work, which wouldn't surprise me since she hates them so much.

I probably should use coupons more, I don't know why but I always feel kind of embarrassed using them?
:icongogo-t-w:
GoGo-T-W Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Traditional Artist
I had to figure it was just that she had no clue how tattoos work. That is a good explanation for the connection, actually. People don't usually want to understand something they hate, they just want to avoid it.

I just watched the How It's Made episode with tattoos today. :la: I know how it works! Even though I'll never get one.

Well, Michael's gives you coupons with your receipt to encourage repeat business, so I've been using them on more expensive stuff one at a time for all the wire wrapping I've been doing. AND PEOPLE SHOULD BUY SOME OR TELL THEIR FRIENDS :below: The "whole purchase" ones are awesome, because you can buy a bunch of little things, like individual pens or pencils.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
How do you tattoo yourself with a micron? :lol:
You'd have to crack it open, and find a rusty needle somewhere.

I HAVE tattooed myself with dip pens. Accidentally, but apparently permanently.
:iconilfie:
ilfie Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm glad the art supply store by my community college marks down their prices compared to other retailers. I bought an 18" x 24" sketchbook for $15 as opposed to $20 at Michaels :la:

The only time I get annoyed by overpriced independent stores is when it comes to toy shops. One time some guy rented an empty space that Toys-R-Us usually rents for the holidays and he kept eyeballing me when I was looking at Barbies :P
Add a Comment: