Closed to new replies
November 24, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

Are URL Links copyrighted???

:iconlynntv:
LynnTV Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional General Artist
I had someone steal my art and post it to their facebook.
The art has been removed but I posted a journal complaining about my art beng stolen. Well, the deviant who stole the work said that that was her and that I was violating copyright infringement, and that she sent in an abuse report over it.

Serious, I've been searching for 30 minutes now, and I can't find anything on copyright and url links. I'm not even sure if it falls under intellectual property.

I would think URL links are open domain since anyone can access them???

Anyone know anything about this. Please help.

Devious Comments

:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Please refer to this thread if you need help. :)

FAQ #801: Are there any rules for the Forums?

:lock:
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
You mean the actual text in the link? Like is "[link]" copyright/trademarked? That's pretty much the same as trying to copyright '2 West Ave' or something. I don't think that even falls in the realm of possibility.

You can't control who links to your work online, if that's what you are asking.

Linking via url does not violate copyright, since it doesn't actually reproduce the image as such, it redirects to the site it was originally posted on. You're not going to be able to get a copyright violation ruling based on someone linking to one of your works.

Even if they were copied and re-posted, since they have been taken down you're pretty much at the end of what you can do legally. If they weren't being sold, the courts aren't going to be interested.

It sounds more like you're having trouble with someone trying to impersonate you. First off, assuming they don't have access to all your personal information and communications, that should be pretty easy to deal with. If they filed a false report, then you should have proof just from the site that it wasn't you.

If this person tries to file against you, you should have the original works in your files to show that they belong to you.
She had posted in on to her facebook. The link was me showing where the image was used at. I have the original work in my hand right now. Its a physical oil painting that I painted it in 2010.

She wasn't impersonating me. But the image has been taken offline that she took.
:iconfirekittyart:
FireKittyArt Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Ahhh thieves... doesn't matter how good you are at anything, if its on the internet, it's gonna be stolen, hands down.
The fact they were reporting you is somewhat hilarious though, considering for them to steal yours would have to be up first :P I've come to terms with the fact that, my stuff is likely to always be stolen somehow somewhere. [link] <<< this is a website that, if detected your content somewhere else, will alert you if your stuff has been stolen. It helps, but doesn't fix the problem, of course.
Hmmm thank you for the link. I've heard of monitoring websites but never looked into it. Thank you.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Wait, you got upset because she linked your picture to her friends?
No she used my image on her facebook with my permission.
:iconxyires:
Xyires Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No it's not. I'm assuming your work was being linked back to you so...
:iconcatapultedcarcass:
CatapultedCarcass Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My art gets posted and credited all the time. That really isn't theft. And if it was, who cares, I put it on the internet in the first place and it's a jungle out there.
:iconk-koji:
K-Koji Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Artists who choose to post their work on the interwebz have to pick their battles wisely.
A person who merely reposts a piece crediting you, with a link to you, isn't really a problem. As said before, it's simply free advertising. It probably does you far more benefit than harm.
My art is reposted all the time. I wouldn't be able to control that if I tried ( aside from never posting to online websites). Occasionally people ask if they make it their Facebook header or w/e- but it's rare. Most of these people do not provide links to me.
But it would be impossible to track it all down( in multiple languages) and do something about it. So you have to see if people are merely enjoying it, or making money off it.
The only time this is a problem imo, is when they're making a profit, or claiming it as their own. Simply reposting a pic while crediting the original artist isn't a big deal :/
Add a Comment: