Graduation cannot come soon enough

I am so sick of being an art major. This major has sucked the life out of me, and been a waste of money. Not only that, but if I have to look at one more anime drawing in a serious critique, I swear I'm going to rip it off the wall and into a million pieces.

MEH.
Comments66
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm an art major too and I am so so happy that anime is never allowed. I would lose my mind if they allowed it. I've actually wanted to quit it because yes, it kinda is a waste of money. That and I go to a community college and none of my studio art credits will transfer to any university anywhere near here. I love the school but it's just a waste of time and money that I don't have.
Anime is strongly discouraged at my art school, so much so that I've actually never seen it in a show, class, critique, glass case-- nothing. I consider myself QUITE lucky.
Anime isn't all that bad, especially if done well...But if there are people doing bad anime art and are just being delusional, you need to report their asses to a professor who will actually get them kicked out. You could also leave feedback for the school at the end of every semester and let them know that there are people like that. Anime is not art if it's done badly; it takes YEARS to master and to even be able to do semi-decently. Cartoons are pretty much effortless, so long as you know the basics, and it will take even longer to master anything related to realism. That's just how it is.

Seriously...Don't let those terrible anime artists get away with it, dude. At least with my art, I am trying to be more expressive. :stare:
"Cartoons are pretty much effortless, so long as you know the basics, and it will take even longer to master anything related to realism."

Really, I find it's the opposite. I can do realism well, but cartoon style is hard. It is very stylised and to get movement and emotion in only a simple drawing can sometimes take many redraws.
For me, it's the opposite. Realism is hard, but cartoons are easy.
What kind of art do you study?
And you can always change fields of study.
I'm fine arts, but I've been focusing on printmaking more the past year. I don't actually have a concentration, I've tried everything my dept has to offer, haha.
Maybe you should look into applied arts, like advertisement design or something. That stuff is fun ^^
I did a gamedesign course. We not only had a shitload of anime obsessed people, but we had people running around screaming BANKAI! :stare:

I am dead fucking serious. :iconstarewatplz:
No.

You have to be lying. D:
Unfortunately, I am not. :stare: These were people a year above mine. We had this gaming room (hey, it was a game design course!), but they pretty much hogged it fulltime in order to play Naruto fighting games. To the point where I started to wonder if these guys ever had classes. :noes:
I despise looking at anime art on the display cases of my art building. I notice though that the serious professors discourage it, while the "exprez urself" kind of professors just let it through.

I even caught a short "comic" strip of a horribly drawn out Ryu from Street Fighter. AND THEY USED "YOUR" INSTEAD OF "YOU'RE". :iconblowitallupplz:
NO. THAT'S NOT OK.
So you don't feel like your efforts have been worth it?

Sadly, I used to feel this way a lot towards school, until I went to my brother's graduation and watched him try to find a job (he graduated with a Business degree). It made me realize, as stressful as school may be, it can be even more stressful in the real world.

It makes me sad how an undegrad degree today is the equivalent of a high school diploma ;_;
Fact :/ That's why I'm pushing through for my Masters in something I really want to take.

I feel like they have been; to an extent. I'm really sick of professors telling me how to do my projects. I understand they're there to provide guidance, but the last thing I need is a professor telling me how to do my project, instead of critiquing me properly and saying what works and what doesn't. One of my professors loved an idea for a poster project I had, then pretty much told me to do the same thing she told another individual to do for mine...so basically I should rehash something that's already been done?

I've accepted the fact that I have a degree in a hobby. I just can't wait to be able to go back to making art for myself, on my own terms. I enjoy it more.
You're nearing the end, no?
Yes. Five months.
FIVE MONTHS. D:
That really isn't bad at all. Should probably enjoy it. :lol:
I thought anime was discouraged in these kinds of schools. I don't go to art school, I wouldn't know.
It is.
It still shows up. I feel like the professors have given up.
This blew my mind as an art major. I didn't go to an art school, so it's a little less surprising, but what the hell seriously guys. These aren't even people who are dedicated enough to hone that style and actually get a chance at publishing, just delusional fans, who let them into the program?
I understand if that's the way you draw on your own. I honestly am not the biggest fan of the style, but when you're an art major (I'm not at an art school either), you need to be open to trying new stuff.

Not rehashing the same style over and over.

There's also no portfolio process to get into the program here.
Definitely, which I am thankful I have been branching out lately. I think I may try something else next week...Something a little more American-Cartoon inspired...