Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 47

I just want to play Civ 2, is this too much to ask

:iconcleverzed:
Cleverzed Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't care if this is a game from the dawn of Windows ninety-fucking-five, some guy posting screencaps reminded me of its existence and the fact that it was probably one of the first strategy games I'd played, and I want to play this shit. Along with a pile of other shit from my distant PC gaming past. Call me a nostalgiafag, but goddamn, if I get a chance to play Civ 2 and original Diablo and old-as-fuck Sim City and Pharaoh and shit I'm going to take it. If windows compatibility troubleshooter wouldn't fucking LIE TO ME. It claimed that it should work in XP service pack 2, it did not. Didn't work in sp3, windows 98 or 95 either.

So after some research it turns out that the problem results from the fact that I am trying to install a fucking 16 bit program on a 64 bit system. It does not comprehend the fucking ancient primitive technology I am trying to put into it. There seems to be a patch for this, but first attempt at installing patched version didn't work. This should not be this difficult.

I need a new comp anyways, I've been relying on my laptop for past year, and although it is badass reliable excellent tank laptop, a fan in what sounds like the gpu region has started stuttering, needing PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE to get it to continue running occasionally, and I'm a little worried about the heat resulting. Would be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth to open up enough to get at that fan to clean it out thoroughly or replace thermal paste or any of that good shit, I'd have to pry the keyboard up and get who fucking knows how many panels and shit off, so. I want to give laptop a break. Heh, probably when I get new comp I should just fucking give it a multi-boot system with goddamned windows 98 so I can play all of this ancient shit.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconieighton:
Ieighton Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Check your notes, I'll sort Civ II for you.
...AND IT IS WORKING. Fucking excellent. :salute:
:iconieighton:
Ieighton Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Aww yeah. Now go techrush your way to Gunpowder and steamroll dem Phalanxes with Musketeers.
:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Mine's x64 as well, so SimCity 4 Deluxe will not play without crapping itself and seizing up. It makes me so sad, but I'll just have to wait until SimCity 5.
Shit, that's newer, you're not going to run into this "lol installer and fucking everything is 16 bit" problem, it should be able to manage it. Try compatibility mode for that one.
:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
I keep getting a Graphics Rules error. It could be my GPU, but it does it with software renderer as well, so I'm skeptical.
Hmh strange. Although I wouldn't rule out the possibility.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
I downloaded all of my old Tycoon series just for the hell of it, it all downloaded perfectly and runs smoothly. So you might just need to get a new computer.
New comp would make me worse off, program being so much older than what I'm running it on is the source of the problem.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Well I have a pretty new computer with Windows 7, it should come with compatibility for older games.
Add a Comment: