Closed to new replies
November 23, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 33

Groups and their submission guidelines

:iconxhunterko:
xhunterko Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Now, I'm more then a little peeved here. I've been a little more active here lately, and I've been trying to get my comic noticed a bit more by joining groups. One of the first couple groups said in their tag lines, everyone is welcome, we accept everything! And I was able to happly submit whatever to the group folders, not knowing anything. So it's no surprise that I'm a little upset when I see another group, with the same promise, and then get slapped with a hidden limit? What?

One of the groups I tried to join fixed this. Their submission guidlines are one of the first things you see. Good for them. Joining? No. I've come across it two or three times now. Without being told in the faq/rules provided and thinking everythings okay when, nope, slapped with a limnit again. The latest group I've joined I was careful with my submission process, and lo and behold, on the fifth submission, I was slapped with a limit. But it's an okay reasonable limit that I can deal with. So I'm staying in this group.

However, I just think that it's bad etiquette to display your rules, and then not display your submission guidelines in the same place or somewhere in the first things you see.

Anyone with me on this?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhumanknotgirl:
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Here's my two cents: You shouldn't be dumping your stuff in group galleries without justification for them being there. At best, it gets some attention, and at worse, it gets removed and you get reprimanded by the owner. Instead, market yourself to the owner of the group. Tell them why you think they should add it to the group collection. Make them want to display your work. It'll be much more satisfying and you'll get more positive reactions.
I am fine with group limits. I am fine with being rejected by groups. My problem is that when I go to submit stuff I don't know what those submission rules are. That is my problem. Stop taking me out of context.
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Where the hell did I take you out of context? All I did was provide my opinion on group etiquette.
xhunterko Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
You essentially tried to give advice on how to get into groups. Which is not what my topic is about.
humanknotgirl Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
I was trying to be constructive. Guess I'll shut my mouth then.
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
No, because a deviant submitting his entire gallery into a groups gallery folder is annoying and it's only fair that there is a limit.
All I want to know is what that limit is before I start submitting. Is it too much to ask that of a group?
All I'm saying is that groups should consider to put their submission guidelines in the same place where their other rules are. Is that such a crime?
:icon3wyl:
3wyl Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
Did you let them know about it?
:iconpuzzledheartbox:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Reply-button.. learn to use it :facepalm:
:iconpuzzledheartbox:
PuzzledHeartBox Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
WAI U NO SUBMIT MOARE?! :iconeratsplz:
:iconpiratesadventure:
PiratesAdventure Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
You are making it seem like they are doing the world a disservice by limiting your submissions. :stare:
Where did I say that? Have if you think this is about them not accepting my stuff, then your wrong. All I want to know is how many deviations I'm allowed to submit before I start submitting.
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012   Digital Artist
Take a look at this gem

I know, I checked out his gallery. It's nothing but doodles. :stare:
Doodles is putting it nicely.
Nah, I just like to be politically correct every once in a blue moon. Until I realize that calling them doodles is insulting to doodles, as this guy has probably spent quite some effort on that crap of his. At the very least with doodles you can excuse yourself by saying "well shit, that only took like 1 minute".
I'm pretty sure they are doing us all a great service be limiting their submissions.
:iconkrazehkittehkat:
KrazehKittehKat Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Limits are reasonable for the most part. I have a friend who complained about some big groups that only let you submit one deviation every few months. :shrug:
How many deviations were you trying to submit though? Because even if they didn't directly give a limit, you still have to be reasonable. Personally, I get annoyed if I see more than two deviations by the same artist submitted at the same time. At least spread 'em out over a few days or so. :grump:
It's not how many, how ever so often, or whatever their submission rules were. It's not knowing what those rules are before I start to submit.
:iconkrazehkittehkat:
KrazehKittehKat Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well then, you know... You could have just asked... :shrug:
I did. I've asked 2 and haven't got back.

I'd limit your submissions too if this is the kind of stuff you wanted to keep sending me.
:iconcrimsonmagpie:
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Spamming is both annoying and rude. How many deviations do you expect to be able to submit at a time?
As many as the group would let me. But before I would like to know what that is before I started to submit.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
Are you currently a member of any groups? What do you do to all the group deviations you get in your inbox?
xhunterko Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Take a quick look and then move on with my day? Again, that is pointless. And not what I'm trying to talk about.
CrimsonMagpie Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional Traditional Artist
The point I'm trying to make is that submitting a lot of images to a group actually reduces the chances of anyone looking at them, which defeats what you're trying to achieve (publicity). If I see that an artist has spammed a group I'm in, I'm more likely to instantly delete everything than actually look at any of it, and most people share that attitude.

With regards to the specifics you're complaining about; maybe many groups don't specify their submission limits because they assume their members will be modest and restrained enough not to need telling. :shrug:
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Maybe life is trying to tell you something about your comic...
I am not griping about not getting interest. I am griping about not knowing the submission guidelines of a group before I try to submit stuff. If I knew before hand, I wouldn't be so upset.
:iconsaviroosje:
Saviroosje Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
If you have a comic, you should just upload the cover and maybe 1 page to a group.
Ofcourse you can't put the whole comic into a group. If everybody would do that, the galleries would get too full.

If someone is interested in your comic, the cover and page one would do... They would go to your page and check the rest out.
The first couple of groups I attempted to join allowed just that. So I thought most other groups of the same nature would allow the same thing.
:iconsaviroosje:
Saviroosje Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student Digital Artist
My group also only accepts the first one and the cover. I prefer only the cover.
Add a Comment: