Homophobics make me uneasy.

I'm trying to write a story here.
The main characters are gay.
But I fear making that obvious will have people burning my books, throwing stuff at me and just generally being distasteful instead of reading it and seeing the political and ethical message hidden in the fantasy sci-fi of the story.

Sometimes, I'm so happy to live in Canada.

On another note,
I am seriously going to backhand the secretary in our school, because he's homophobic too and called me a freak. Maybe I should start being a heterophobe.
Comments214
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
My boyfriend and I have characters who strongly adhere to science, logic and realism and are heavily anti-political correctness, anti-religion, anti-stupidity and in general have a lot of unpopular opinions and "ethics" that would make society flip it's shit at us. We don't give a flying fuck though because we're making stories about what it needs to hear, not what it wants to hear. The cults of retards are going to throw tantrums in their dying throws- so what. The more extreme and bigoted they become about the tiniest of things alienates them from society that much more. By declining to write a book based on the religious attention it might receive is doing the world a disservice.
This is all assuming your book would even be published :shrug:
It's nice to dream.

Makes you want to take steps forward in your life.
You're going to have opposition in anything you do when you think about it, so you might as well just go ahead and do it. And if you do it, go all out; gay that shit up. There's an artist I'm following right now with a web comic. As of now, the central characters aren't dating, they're just friends. But so many fans as well as the artist want them to come out together in the end. And she's afraid to do it because she's scared she'll lose a lot of her readers.

Like you, she might as well just go ahead and do it. It'll be a long time before the real end of the comic ever comes, according to what she told me. During that time she'll have scads of readers. If she loses any in the end, it won't matter because...that'll be the end of the comic. If it's a big let down for them, oh well! They can find something else to read that will make up for it. And in the mean time, she'll have her collection of readers and fans that liked the out come and were pleased with it. The same will go for you. Just write what makes you happy. If you find homosexuality beautiful...write it!

Just don't...pull...an Orson Scott Card. Don't write a gay love scene and years later go, "I DIDN'T MEAN TO WRITE THAT, THE DEVIL MADE ME DO EEEETT!!"
The best publicity you could get is pissing off the majority.
As a gay homophobe, my advice to you is:

:icondickkickplz:
Don't be a hetorophobe, countering negativity with more negativity has never gotten one far.

Just write the story, and whoever has a problem with it can go screw themselves - it's THEIR problem, not yours.
X-Men has allusions to the real world when it comes to being gay or any minority. If straight people like that, then they shouldn't make such a big deal about stuff. Besides, no one is making them read the gay stuff :shrug:
Heterophobe? xD
Isn't that taking it to the extremes? :3

But oh well, I hope that your book will be a success! :D
Sounds interesting :3 ~
The only people you'll get complaining are just bigoted assholes that use their voicebox too much. Write what you want, screw the haters!
People don't really seem to make a big deal about the sexuality of book characters that I've noticed. I say just write it how you want it.
Just do what you want and if someone has a problem with it, that's THEIR problem.
Don't compromise. If it's important that they be gay, then make them gay. :nod:
:iconbrofistplz:
Thank you.

also, aperture science icon...?
You're welcome. :)

And yep. :D
So don't make a big deal about it. That's all. Just have them be two gay characters.
That statement is easy to understand. But no, becoming heterophobic will only make things worse. If people go out of their way to burn a book because of a minor detail, they obviously have nothing better to do in life. I mean hell, I hate twilight for its bullshit writing and the author along with 98% of the population not knowing what a healthy relationship is, but I'm not going to go burn the books. Just complain about it as the situation comes up :XD: Just tell the people that they aren't open minded, that might make them pause for a moment! And if not, they still weren't worthy to read your story anyway.
If you're wanting to be a writer, the first step is not letting other people's opinions get to you.
I think you're seeing ghosts were there aren't any. In the grand scheme of things most people don't care about the sexual orientation of the main character. I wouldn't even make a big deal out of it unless it has some sort of relevance to the plot.
Dumbledore. That is all.
I don't know though, I always saw that one as being a bit of a stretch. I think she might have said that just to appeal to a certain audience.
I doubt it. There are subtle hints throughout the books.