Closed to new replies
November 20, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

Internet Ads getting out of control

:iconguttedcorpse:
GuttedCorpse Nov 20, 2012
Every time I want to watch a video, I must watch a 30 second ad. Youtube has been getting pretty
bad for this. I have to deal with ads in videos, ads that pop up over the video which I have
to manually close, ads that blast music in my ears if I hover over the image. If I skip to a certain
part in the video, I have to view another 30 second ad. If I visit a news website and click on an article, there
is nothing to read, only a video followed by another ad.

If I see an ad longer then 5 seconds I just close the video, not worth it anymore. I also boycott their products.
Fuck you Tide laundry detergent, fuck you Lebron james and your dumb cell phone ads.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Adblock and extensions can help you there.
:iconcorvalian:
Yep, adblock. I think websites like youtube deserve ad revenue, but when the ads reach a certain level of obnoxiousness, they drive consumers to find ways around them. Adblock is just one example. Some others:

DVR's allow you to record shows and fast forward through advertisements. Similar technology could have been around years prior, but only in recent years have television advertisers begun to increase the volume of their ads by 50% and increase the ratio of show to ads all the way up to 1:1. (Meaning, you spend just as much time watching ads as you do watching the show. The Lost series finale was like this, I think the entire episode was only 30 minutes long.) Now DVR's, Netflix, Hulu, and other mediums have become a very serious industry, and it isn't just because of the ability to watch things on your own time.

Radio ads seem to be almost at a 1:1 ratio by now as well. I can't listen to the radio anymore because every time I turn it on I get obnoxious advertisements instead of music. Once again, they've increased the volume of these ads well above their music as well. So what did I do? I went and purchased a whole new stereo for my car just so I could hook up an iPod.

Ads are so annoying right now, that they're destroying their entire industry. It's so bad that people are spending large amounts of money on products that bypass them altogether. The guy who makes adblock, for instance, has made it into a full time job and survives off donations alone.
I am using adblock plus, I am reaping the benefits! FINALLY!

Thanks everyone for the input.
:iconxyires:
Xyires Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
As everyone said, AdBlock plus for Chrome completely blocks ads everywhere (well I haven't come across any yet anyway).
:iconlobosabio:
Dude. Use AdBlock and enjoy a life free from crappy ads.
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Adblock Plus, please use it.
Does it also work for youtube ads?
:iconarvellas:
It works for youtube ads, Pandora ads, pretty much anything. It works so well that I am often momentarily confused when people complain about ads on a website, thinking, "But there aren't any ads there...oh wait, I have Adblock." :slow:
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Yes. I have adblock plus for google chrome and I've never seen any video ads since. :B
:iconlobosabio:
Totally. I've been using it for a while now and I can't remember the last time I saw a YouTube ad.
Add a Comment: