Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 69

Really? Really?!

:iconeerieiri:
EerieIri Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Pardon my language, but why are so many people such assholes?

I am not going to state names, nor am I going to quote exactly what was said.

An online acquaintence of mine drew a very cute picture of two characters from a popular kid's movie. Both the characters were of the same sex. This picture had three scenes in it.

Scene two had character a touching character b's arm.

Scene three had character a kissing character b on the cheek.

It was very cute, and sweet and frankly innocent enough that I wouldn't have minded if my nieces and nephews saw it. Their parents wouldn't have minded, there was nothing going on.

If I hadn't known that it was a pairing picture, I would have assumed it was a picture depicting these two characters as family.

Then I saw this one reviewer who was being a homophobic bigot about this picture, and accusing the artist of making it so they (the reviewer) couldn't see the movie in the same light again.

Really?

I mean seriously, from the thumbnail it was pretty obvious what was in the picture. This leads me to think that the reviewer clicked on the picture solely to be a dick to the artist.

Shakes head in irritation. My personal opinion? People like that should be blocked everytime they pop up.

But I do give credit to the artist. She was very polite in her response. I would have just hidden the comment and blocked that reviewer.

So kudos to her for having patience. And managing to stay polite to that jerk-off.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconatlantech:
Atlantech Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
being an asshole is fun, that's why.
:iconsabhira:
Sabhira Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
Integer lacinia, purus quis posuere pulvinar, enim tortor gravida sem, id ornare erat turpis in enim. Nullam et turpis et sapien ornare sodales. Vestibulum purus neque, ultrices volutpat cursus eu, vestibulum et massa. Morbi fermentum tristique lacus, ac volutpat dolor congue eu. Nulla ut tortor purus. Suspendisse in est a massa hendrerit cursus et ac nibh. Fusce massa sem, viverra eget pretium posuere, consectetur et ligula. Suspendisse vitae dolor sit amet quam bibendum tempor. Nam sit amet magna nisl. Mauris consequat eleifend volutpat. In posuere, elit at faucibus aliquam, ipsum sem volutpat diam, at tempus mauris massa quis massa. Nunc eu ligula erat. Vestibulum eget tempus elit.
:iconsol9000:
Sol9000 Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
That man was just a troll.

By posting this to the world, you've actually made the problem worse.

No worries, though.
EerieIri Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
Probably.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on that.

Have a good day!
Sol9000 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
well, okay then...

wait a minute, was that last one sarcastic?! I couldn't tell! T_T
EerieIri Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
No, I was being serious when I said have a good day.
Sol9000 Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
yay.
EerieIri Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
^_^
:iconzodiacgal:
zodiacgal Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
People are always jerks on the interweb. I just laugh at their stupidity :D
Mostly true sadly. I'm glad you can do that.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
They don't deserve to be blocked, they deserved a stern talking to.
Actually, as it turns out, this reviewer has been going around, doing what they did to the artist I know to a bunch of other artists.

If it was just one time, then yeah. Maybe a stern talking to would actually help. But since it's not, blocking is probably the best option.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2012
True, no sense in trying to straighten out idiots who never learn from their actions.
EerieIri Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
:nod:
:iconlbthecc:
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Some people are too sensitive. So? Regardless of what kind of art it is, someone will dislike it on some grounds.

As to why so many people are such assholes, you could probably trace it to online disinhibition effect: [link]. It might be larger than that on an anthropological level... but that's beyond the scope of this forum, frankly.
True, that doesn't mean they should be cruel. That's my main thing.

No doubt.
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
If someone commenting offhandedly that a picture has somehow altered their view of the characters is cruelty, then you haven't been around the internet long enough. There are worse comments. Meanwhile, some people have the idea that their opinion matters. They'll express it no matter what. Some people have little filter between how they feel and how they express it. Especially online where there are no consequences. True, people could learn better self control theoretically, and once they do, we could have things like world peace and whatnot. Sadly, that simply won't ever happen. Such is the way of things. Best you can do is, as Gandhi noted, be the change you wish to see in the world. Meanwhile a tougher hide might be an order.
This wasn't off-hand. There's no way it was, unless this person is a jerk of epic proportions. I've been around for a little while, I know exactly how mean, mean can get, sadly.

Very true.

My hide is tough enough, it's just I know the artist. She is kind and sweet, and she doesn't deserve to be attacked like that.
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
:shrug: Must be the on-hand then. Or the under-hand?
But dA is set up for fly-by comments. The good comes with the bad.

Neither do bunnies but they're at the bottom of the food chain. Who's gonna tell a predator not to hunt?
Given that we're talking about humans and not animals, I will.
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Well good luck to you, then. Few change their stripes, fewer keep the new pattern. Worth a try though eh?
EerieIri Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2012
Yep.
:iconkoyukuk:
Koyukuk Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
How do you know they just don't like that particular pairing or perhaps they saw the two in a non-romantic relationship?
They were being mean to the artist over the picture. I say homophobic because of some of the words they used and how they used said words.
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
I don't see how that's exactly homophobic though.
To me it's homophobic because they clearly went out of their way to be mean to the artist over the picture.
One comment is going out of their way?
Or was it more than that? I think the person you were talking about just expressed his dislike and you just slapped him as a homophobe. :shrug:
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I have absolutely no problem with expressing yourself. But here's the thing:

You and I are having a civil conversation. If I were asked to describe you based on this conversation, I would say polite.

Homophobic and mean are the words that come to mind when I think about this reviewer.
You probably encountered a troll or a someone who just entered the internet for the first time.
I'd say a troll, seeing as this reviewer's been here for a while.
Eh, people like that are abundunt. Some are pretty whiny, commenting on every single deviation they don't like.
But you can't deny sometimes when they do express their dislike for certain things in a civil manner, they still often get treated badly and called homophobic and even racist. These are pretty strong labels to slap on people, so that's why you have to be careful.
But in this case, yeah, this person was probably a homophobe. :fart:
True, unfortunately.

Again, true. And I feel bad for the people that happens to. It's not anymore right than what some of the artist's here go through.

Yeah. Probably.
(1 Reply)
:iconshozurei:
shozurei Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Sadly some people are :censored: for the sheer point of being :censored:.
Very true. Unfortunately. :(
:iconshozurei:
shozurei Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Yup.
:hug:
:icondoctorowl:
DoctorOWL Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Some people just go looking for trouble.
Unfortunately, that's very true.
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
So what makes them homophobic again? Did they say there were disgusted at the thought of a gay couple in a drawing? Did they start going off on a tangent about how gay people are evil?
The way they were talking to the artist. Some of the things they said.

They were being very impolite and outright mean.
But you haven't even said what they said exactly, that's why I'm asking what it is that they said that was so offensive and homophobic.
I don't want to say exactly what was said, because I'm afraid that reviewer or artist might be tracked down, and I don't want to start a war.

I'm sure to some people it wouldn't be homophobic or offensive at all. To me, it was both. Not to mention completely unnecessary.
Okay, you're calling someone homophobic and cruel. That's a pretty terrible accusation. I've seen a whole bunch of people say this sort of thing whenever they make a comment about a yaoi/yuri relationship from their fandom "ruining their childhood" when that doesn't make that person homophobic, it just makes what they said stupid. That's why I was asking what was exactly said.

No one is telling you to quote it word per word. You could give a simple breakdown of what they said and why it was offensive without revealing who the artist is.
Fair enough.

What was essentially said was: How could you do this? You took a wonderful character, and made him lower than dirt when you put him in this pairing. I don't understand how you could do something so sick and wrong. I can never look at this movie the same way, and it's all your fault.

They left another review and while the wording was different, they made sure to emphasize how sick and wrong the picture was.
I don't know if that's necessarily being homophobic, more of that person being a sensitive idiot. It could be homophobic though and now I can see how you saw it that way.

I just hope that it wasn't underage characters, then there would be a whole other reason why people would find it wrong and not necessarily because it is a same-sex relationship.

But yeah, that's an idiot for you. It's either an idiot or possibly just a troll trying to bait the artist. Of course, knowing dA, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a troll.
Nods. Yeah.

No, no. These were both adults. I find under-age pairings wrong myself. The artist doesn't do under-age pairings as far as I know.

True, very true. Either way, I'm glad to say they failed if they were trying to bait the artist. She was very polite and didn't let them rile her.
:iconkoyukuk:
Koyukuk Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ok, I'm starting to get what you're saying love. If they didn't like it, they could have just avoided drama by just clicking the x button. Unfortunately, some people either don't think before they type or insist on letting the artist know how they feel even if it's extremely unnecessary :/ Best to ignore them and not fuel the flames
Exactly. Normally I do ignore them. But this time, I just couldn't stay quite. So instead of confronting that reviewer (and probably lowering myself to their level), I came here to have my views be heard.
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Not everyone appreciates yaoi of characters from a movie/television show/book/whatever that they have fond memories of. :no:
That's very true. There are some movies/t.v. shows I don't appreciate being yaoi-fied. Or yuri-fied.

That's not what I'm mad about.

I'm mad, because that reviewer clearly went out of their way to be mean to the artist.

You don't have to like the content, you can even say so and why, I've got nothing against that.

But what's the point in being cruel?
Add a Comment: