Really? Really?!

Pardon my language, but why are so many people such assholes?

I am not going to state names, nor am I going to quote exactly what was said.

An online acquaintence of mine drew a very cute picture of two characters from a popular kid's movie. Both the characters were of the same sex. This picture had three scenes in it.

Scene two had character a touching character b's arm.

Scene three had character a kissing character b on the cheek.

It was very cute, and sweet and frankly innocent enough that I wouldn't have minded if my nieces and nephews saw it. Their parents wouldn't have minded, there was nothing going on.

If I hadn't known that it was a pairing picture, I would have assumed it was a picture depicting these two characters as family.

Then I saw this one reviewer who was being a homophobic bigot about this picture, and accusing the artist of making it so they (the reviewer) couldn't see the movie in the same light again.

Really?

I mean seriously, from the thumbnail it was pretty obvious what was in the picture. This leads me to think that the reviewer clicked on the picture solely to be a dick to the artist.

Shakes head in irritation. My personal opinion? People like that should be blocked everytime they pop up.

But I do give credit to the artist. She was very polite in her response. I would have just hidden the comment and blocked that reviewer.

So kudos to her for having patience. And managing to stay polite to that jerk-off.
Comments70
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
being an asshole is fun, that's why.
Integer lacinia, purus quis posuere pulvinar, enim tortor gravida sem, id ornare erat turpis in enim. Nullam et turpis et sapien ornare sodales. Vestibulum purus neque, ultrices volutpat cursus eu, vestibulum et massa. Morbi fermentum tristique lacus, ac volutpat dolor congue eu. Nulla ut tortor purus. Suspendisse in est a massa hendrerit cursus et ac nibh. Fusce massa sem, viverra eget pretium posuere, consectetur et ligula. Suspendisse vitae dolor sit amet quam bibendum tempor. Nam sit amet magna nisl. Mauris consequat eleifend volutpat. In posuere, elit at faucibus aliquam, ipsum sem volutpat diam, at tempus mauris massa quis massa. Nunc eu ligula erat. Vestibulum eget tempus elit.
That man was just a troll.

By posting this to the world, you've actually made the problem worse.

No worries, though.
Probably.

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree on that.

Have a good day!
well, okay then...

wait a minute, was that last one sarcastic?! I couldn't tell! T_T
No, I was being serious when I said have a good day.
People are always jerks on the interweb. I just laugh at their stupidity :D
Mostly true sadly. I'm glad you can do that.
They don't deserve to be blocked, they deserved a stern talking to.
Actually, as it turns out, this reviewer has been going around, doing what they did to the artist I know to a bunch of other artists.

If it was just one time, then yeah. Maybe a stern talking to would actually help. But since it's not, blocking is probably the best option.
True, no sense in trying to straighten out idiots who never learn from their actions.
Some people are too sensitive. So? Regardless of what kind of art it is, someone will dislike it on some grounds.

As to why so many people are such assholes, you could probably trace it to online disinhibition effect: [link]. It might be larger than that on an anthropological level... but that's beyond the scope of this forum, frankly.
True, that doesn't mean they should be cruel. That's my main thing.

No doubt.
If someone commenting offhandedly that a picture has somehow altered their view of the characters is cruelty, then you haven't been around the internet long enough. There are worse comments. Meanwhile, some people have the idea that their opinion matters. They'll express it no matter what. Some people have little filter between how they feel and how they express it. Especially online where there are no consequences. True, people could learn better self control theoretically, and once they do, we could have things like world peace and whatnot. Sadly, that simply won't ever happen. Such is the way of things. Best you can do is, as Gandhi noted, be the change you wish to see in the world. Meanwhile a tougher hide might be an order.
This wasn't off-hand. There's no way it was, unless this person is a jerk of epic proportions. I've been around for a little while, I know exactly how mean, mean can get, sadly.

Very true.

My hide is tough enough, it's just I know the artist. She is kind and sweet, and she doesn't deserve to be attacked like that.
:shrug: Must be the on-hand then. Or the under-hand?
But dA is set up for fly-by comments. The good comes with the bad.

Neither do bunnies but they're at the bottom of the food chain. Who's gonna tell a predator not to hunt?
Given that we're talking about humans and not animals, I will.
Well good luck to you, then. Few change their stripes, fewer keep the new pattern. Worth a try though eh?
View all replies
How do you know they just don't like that particular pairing or perhaps they saw the two in a non-romantic relationship?
They were being mean to the artist over the picture. I say homophobic because of some of the words they used and how they used said words.
I don't see how that's exactly homophobic though.