Closed to new replies
November 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 62

I don't get DA anymore

:iconof-mice-and-moshpits:
of-mice-and-moshpits Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Digital Artist
I rejoined because a friend told me to but things here have changed.
I used to be really crap at art but people on this website helped me learn
anatomy,colour,composition,light and perspective.

I don't post on here anymore because once you post an artwork on deviant art they own the image forever. (ever actually read the terms of service before) So unless I'm drawing something for a contest It just wont happen.

However It upsets me that when I try and crituque someone they bite me in the arse and say I know nothing about art ....( when they are using 500 flouro colours or something )

I'm not the best artist on here by far I'm only a student but I just wish people were nicer when you try and help them...

ISNT THAT WHAT THIS WEBSITES FOR SO WE CAN SHARE ART AND HELP EACHOTHER IMPROVE ??????

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconivan-tasko:
Ivan-Tasko Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I dont know what i would do if deviantART owned my work . i think i would die of anger
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
:shrug:
:iconmaryyana:
MaryYana Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012   Traditional Artist
Welcome back to dA! Now please deactivate!
:iconlbthecc:
LBtheCC Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
What? You expect people to thank you for popping their fragile little artist egos?
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
"once you post an artwork on deviant art they own the image forever."

:icongetoutfrogplz:
:iconkoyukuk:
Koyukuk Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Share art, yes. Help each other improve... not so much :B PFFFT, I love laughing at the morons who pull the "UR NOT AN ARTST" excuse :lol: Don't have to be an artist to know what something is shit.

ps: I know you've been told this already but the art you upload is copyright to you :3 hence the copyright thing near the title on the deviation page
:iconrequiemachina:
Requiemachina Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
I don't post on here anymore because once you post an artwork on deviant art they own the image forever.

Then...

(ever actually read the terms of service before)

READ the END USER AGREEMENT, YOU MORON. :no:
sometimes its hard to support people when they're complete idiots and still believe old shit....how disappointing...

Oh, and whatever prosaix said.
:iconjellybean9000:
Jellybean9000 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
In case you didn't read the end users agreement on this site, anything you post here is technically owned by you and only you unless you give or sell the right(s) to someone else (assuming that you're the original owner, of course).

And this person you critiqued; did they ask for one, or did you just give one out?
:iconmcrfan343:
Mcrfan343 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
lol what?
:icontyphloser:
Typhloser Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You know what I don't get? These Brush Lovers badges. This is a bigger mystery.

Seriously. How the fuck did people get them? Went to $devart to help some poor soul that couldn't tell the difference between a chatroom and a userpage, and the bot's comment page is 16+ pages deep in 'Thanks for the Brush Lovers Badge!' Someone I asked about the matter said that they haven't used Muro in almost a year, yet the badge's description apparently has something to do with Muro. Also, there's a few sloppy pixels visible in the blown up version of the Brush Badge. :grump: How did they miss that?
:iconfelissauria:
Felissauria Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
I don't post on here anymore because once you post an artwork on deviant art they own the image forever.

You're an idiot.
:iconblackvragor:
blackvragor Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist

Guys halp. Go be mean on this picture. Do it.
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Okay.
:iconmarx-man:
MARX-MAN Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artist
"I don't post on here anymore because once you post an artwork on deviant art they own the image forever. (ever actually read the terms of service before) So unless I'm drawing something for a contest It just wont happen."
~somegeordielass in I don't get DA anymore

Comment rating: :star-empty::star-empty::star-empty::star-empty::star-empty:
"16. Copyright in Your Content
deviantART does not claim ownership rights in Your Content. For the sole purpose of enabling us to make your Content available through the Service, you grant to deviantART a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, re-format, store, prepare derivative works based on, and publicly display and perform Your Content. Please note that when you upload Content, third parties will be able to copy, distribute and display your Content using readily available tools on their computers for this purpose although other than by linking to your Content on deviantART any use by a third party of your Content could violate paragraph 4 of these Terms and Conditions unless the third party receives permission from you by license."
deviantART: Terms of Service

Your rights are reserved, deviantART already has explicitly stated that the licence you grant is only for the display of your work and the site does not claim any ownership, that means, if you take the work down then they are duty bound to remove all instances of those files stored.

The service they provide is free publishing of your work in exchange for your agreement with their terms of use.
:iconprosaix:
prosaix Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
This, ladies, gentlemen and trolls, is a prime example of trying too hard. :clap:
The entire post was two written paragraphs, 6 copy pastas and 6 macros. It's less work than you might think.
Right now it sounds like much more than I thought :slow:
Sounds?... Hang on let me pull up the audio score for my post...

Hmmm, must be the sound of silence.

I guess that will happen with words. ;)
Trying too hard again. :pat:
MARX-MAN Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Professional Artist
Comment rating: :star-empty::star-empty::star-empty::star-empty::star-empty:
That kind of comment discourages creativity.
omgsh this is not what this post was about I appologize okay ...Iv already explained below why I personally belive that
If you are referring to this post:
"3. License To Use Artist Materials. As and when Artist Materials are uploaded to the deviantART Site(s), Artist grants to deviantART a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to do the following things during the Term..."
~somegeordielass in I don't get DA anymore
Then I am afraid I have some bad news, whilst you were quoting article 3 of the deviantART: Submission Policy did you not take a second to read the much shorter article 2.
"2. Ownership. Artist at all times retains all right, title and interest in and to the Artist Materials provided by Artist hereunder (including, without limitation, the copyrights in and to the Artist Materials), subject to the non-exclusive rights in the licenses granted to deviantART under this Agreement. Artist is free to grant similar rights to others during and after the Term of this Agreement."
deviantART: Submission Policy

The sole reason why section 3 exists is to enable deviantART to display your work on their site and say to other sites, hey, look at our community and what it does.

I mean, they offer you the ability to sell prints and set your copyright settings whilst you submit your work, they are pretty much 'doing you a solid'.
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Deactivate already. :nod:
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Then deactivate.

This isn't me being mean, this is me telling you to deactivate and stop something from happening that you find unacceptable. There are plenty of artistic communities out there, deviantART is just one of the more well-known ones. Put your works in storage or delete them, notify your friends that you aren't happy with the ToS, and close your account. Simple as that.
when I did every friend I had bugged the shit out of me till I rejoined :/
Well, knowing that you had a problem with the website you shouldn't never came back. It wasn't going to get better, it was going to be significantly worse. And when people see a blank profile, they don't want a critique from that person. They assume they are just a troll.

Out of curiosity, what is an example of a critique you've given?
true I mite post something if I find a contest I like...( I did say that in the post )

also well I dont keep track of them but heres one im writing to someone atm

Hi there I like this artwork you have done a great job drawing the difficulct pose and your colouration of your oc's facial features is amazing however. The repition of downloaded brushes in the background makes the peice look less realistic. You could also try using lighter colours instead of white as highlights as this is a much more realistic technique. You could also ponder upon how colour reflects. your compostion is amazing you have hit all of the focal points however your perspective could do with some work as the peice looks rather flat. oh and as the dress is made out of such a light material it should flow as much as the hair ( that you have managed to show the qualities of movement and gravety in well done ) Over all a really good pecice you just have to work on little details :)
It's not a bad critique.

If the people are asking for critique, I don't know why their attacking you. But if it doesn't seem they want any, I wouldn't just go around randomly critiquing people.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
You're not exactly helping things improve by making the same, old bullshit threads whining about trivial issues.

You could at least be entertaining. Throw a fucking pie or something!
would you like me to start speaking in geordie ...if ya narh what I mean ....Im gan to the lavi bye
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Oh God... I suddenly decided I no longer have a problem being called french.
I was joking but that is how some geordies speak and I'd rather you not insult the place I was born
:icontotally-dead:
Totally-dead Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
I was born there too, dumbass. I am insulting you as a representation of it.

I do not know how that place can harbour more idiots than fucking Essex of all places and STILL have such a brilliant university.
:iconshininginthedarkness:
Oh my god, dA might reproduce my shitty drawings somewhere. That would hurt me IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER.

The only possible way posting on dA could come back to bite you would be if someone wants exclusive publishing writes to a literature piece, or if you sell all the rights to a piece to someone else.
You cant call my art shitty if you have never seen it. thats true Im not saying da is bad Im just saying I would rather not post my work as some of it is for my uni aplication and others for my tattoo aprentiship. and some are gifts to bands/friends ect I'd rather have them be the only persn to have rights to it
I was calling MY drawings shitty. Geez, context!

(Also, I could if I wanted to)

If something's a gift, I REALLY don't see why posting on on dA would hurt. But that's all your decision, if you don't want to participate in the community. But then it's hard to take you seriously when you bitch about the ways people who DO post their art participate.
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
     ...and of course we all know that never happens with anything posted here. :paranoid:
Ha :lol:
People who are seriously on or trying to be at the professional level ought to be careful, but A. most of us aren't and B. those people can still post works of theirs that they're not planning to sell.

(Some professional artists seem to keep the rights to post their stuff on dA. I'm not 100% on how that works.)
:iconjak-the-lombax:
Jak-the-Lombax Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Um.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Wow, you sound like you're taking this way too seriously
I just want to help people...
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Then help people?
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Well do a better job.

Right now, you're about as helpful as fake tits on a zombie.
:iconxyires:
Xyires Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Wow I stopped taking this thread seriously when you said dA gains ownership of all art submitted.
3. License To Use Artist Materials. As and when Artist Materials are uploaded to the deviantART Site(s), Artist grants to deviantART a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to do the following things during the Term:

a) to prepare and encode Artist Materials or any part of them for digital or analog transmission, manipulation and exhibition in any format and by any means now known or not yet known or invented;

b) to display, copy, reproduce, exhibit, publicly perform, broadcast, rebroadcast, transmit, retransmit, distribute through any electronic means (including analog and digital) or other means, and electronically or otherwise publish any or all of the Artist Materials, including any part of them, and to include them in compilations for publication, by any and all means and media now known or not yet known or invented ;

c) to modify, adapt, change or otherwise alter the Artist Materials (e.g., change the size) and use the Artist Materials as described in Section 3(b); and

d) the right to sublicense to any other person or company any of the licensed rights in the Artist Materials, or any part of them, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.

e) Artist acknowledges that Artist will not have any right, title, or interest in any other materials with which Artist Materials may be combined or into which all or any portion of Artist Materials may be incorporated.

f) During the Term, deviantART's licenses under this Agreement include the right to use any part of the Artist Materials in the promotion, advertising or marketing of the DeviantART Sites.

g) As used in this Agreement, the term "Artist Materials" means any content uploaded to the deviantART Site(s) which may include without limitation Artist's name(s) (including professional names), trademarks, trade names, likenesses, photographs, biographical materials, audio-visual materials, artwork, liner notes, and other graphical, textual, video, film or audio materials and any and all "skins," computer-generated images or other artwork or images that Artist submits to deviantART in any medium or format whatsoever.

I dee that as ownership in my eyes i mean they say they didnt create it but they can do what ever they like with it
:iconxyires:
Xyires Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
They still don't own what you submit.
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm helping no one. l:I
:iconsuperpika237:
superpika237 Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
You helped me once :saddummy:
:iconco-phantom:
Co-Phantom Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh really now? :U