No favorites through a block is a silly system.

I've noticed recently that dA has an interesting mechanic in play, and it absolutely confounds me - dA won't let you favorite someones work if they've added you to their block list.

While I understand the reason they thought this would be a good idea, I cannot understand how not a one of them thought about how much a bad idea it was.

A few days back I was browsing some art, and I found one I liked a bit. So I added it to my favorites. Simple enough, but I noticed the artists blurb about it contain a historical mistake. Being a fan of history I thought it would be best if I corrected this.

So I made a little comment, non-offensive, non-uptight, and rather simply stated. Nothing to get upset over.

The artist might've thought I didn't know what I was on about seeing as he didn't pay much attention to what I said (and appeared not to be upset by the comment), so I informed him that, although that's the historical perception in popular culture, the actual history is far different.

He decided he didn't like 'my history' and I thought to myself fair enough. If he wants to be stubborn and not learn from a 'the more you know' moment, then he's free to, so I didn't bother to reply to him.

Que to a few days later I was browsing along the same keywords that lead me to the aforementioned piece of work, and I found another, new piece, that I liked. I added it to my favorites as well, but this time I got a message that popped up that said it couldn't be added to my favorites.

That's when I realized it was the same artist as before and he's added me to his block list after he replied that he as 'tired of my history'.

How is this a good system to have? Blocking someone is fine, but stopping people from favoring their works? His work was good, and I wanted to add it too my favorites (which I use as imagination fuel for when I write/world build), but no-dice - now there's a nice piece of work I'm going to lose in an endless sea of other works and he's down a favorite, an indicator that people like his drawings.

I understand doing this to someone who's harassing or insulting him through favorite folder names, but for every single off-the-bat block?

Am I the only one who sees the problems of this current system?
Comments125
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
The system doesn't make much sense to me either. I shouldn't have to like you, and you shouldn't have to like me, in order for me to like your art(or the reverse). I know some artists who are complete assholes, but do good work.

But this whole website makes it too easy for people to turn into uptight twats who think they're more spechul snowflakes.
They blocked you. They don't want you to favour their artwork. How is that flawed?
The block system is suppose to stop bullying. Adding someone's work to your favorites is hardly bullying.

And he blocked me because he didn't want to continue the conversation we were having.
Where does it say the block system is to prevent bullying? It doesn't matter why he blocked you, he wants no contact with you. The blocks system is for preventing people from contacting you. No contact includes favourites.
It can be. People can make folders within favs called "shitty art" or etc, and add pieces to it. It's been done before.
I find it annoying how I can't favorite art from people who have blocked me, if I like the art but I can understand how they'd think it would be a good idea. I would hate to be fav-bombed by somebody I had blocked, especially if it were an ex-friend.

Oh stop whining to the Help Desk about everything. Spamming them with your constant art theft reports and complaints about how you think what they're doing is wrong. Calm down. There will always be art thieves and the best thing to do is to ignore them. I only care if somebody steals a friends art. :v You should let people stand up for themselves.

((If anybody is wondering what I'm talking about with art thieves and reports, see here: [link] like what *prosaix thumb nailed.))
>There will always be art thieves and the best thing to do is to ignore them.

And if they're profiting? And if the owner of the site doesn't frequent, or use, dA? I don't think ignoring a crime is the best was to solve it.

You're suppose to go to the help desk for help. What crazy world does a help desk not help?
:facepalm: Spamming it isn't helping either.
This is probably why: [link] :B
I understand that as a reason why, but I'm fairly certain that's suppose to be covered under reporting people for harassment. If dA handled it's reporting tickets with any form of competency then they wouldn't need to do this. This current system is a redundancy based on incompetence.
Your post made me think of this: [link]
*reads*

tl;dr

Ooooh! Your account name interests me...
Welp, it's cause the artist wants nothing to do with you.

On the other hand, if you're about to fav something and you've NEVER MET THIS PERSON EVER BEFORE and they blocked you for no reason/blocking in advance, then I'd be annoyed.
Makes complete sense to me. They blocked you. Clearly, they want you blocked from everything, including their favs. How hard is it to grasp that logic?
Blocking is a mechanism in which the blocked is completely prevented from interacting with the blocker. Faving is a form of interaction, and can be abused in various ways. The system is working as intended.
Oops ignore that comment, I missed the right reply button :P
That's irrelevant!
You really like stirring shit up don't you?

Was anime supposed to so historically correct?
I got banned because I reported a lot of art thieves (with proof). dA banned me reporting over it, which still baffles the shit out of me. You notice that was submitted in 2010, so it's not an indicator of anything to do with these events.

I never said the artwork had to be historically correct, I never said anything was suppose to be historically correct.

I corrected a mistake the artist had made in his artists comment. That's all I said I didn't. Stop trying to put words and motives in my mouth.

Why are you trying to be so combative over this?
People who get banned from reporting things are banned because they spam the Help Desk with things that they were already told were invalid reports, or otherwise were wasting admin time.
You're not the first one to explain this to me and you're not the last one I'm going to tell that I did nothing of the kind. I only reported what I could prove was stolen.
If that's so, contact the help desk!

DeviantART will never ban someone from reporting things just because they were TOO helpful or something of the like. Maybe there was a mixup.