Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
November 18, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 269

People telling me they don't like my art because of religion..

:iconnecrosarium:
Necrosarium Nov 18, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
This is seriously tiring to see. It's so annoying that everyone is trying to judge my work as some religious doing. I have one half telling me "I don't like your stuff because you use crosses, you're too religious!" and another half telling me "I don't like your stuff because you use skulls and horns, you're a Satan worshiper!" Seriously I get no break. I wish people could enjoy it for "art", not "religion".

Sure, I use imagery from both. I do use a lot of crosses because I enjoy the art of them. I do not believe in God. I use a lot of skulls and skulls with horns because I enjoy the art of them. I do not believe in Satan. I also use imagery taken from other religions as well, because I see it as something that can be made into beautiful art. Not something that people will sit there and pray to all day or be used in cults. What's funny is that I don't even see my items as being religious in any way. It's simply art.

If you want to sit there and have this belief that i'm one or the other, even though I use imagery from many sides in a lot of my art, go for it. I understand that overly-religious people will see some of my work as "religious" because that's how they see everything. But you do not have to go out of your way to send me messages about how you don't like one half of my work or another. Keep it to yourself and go on to art that you enjoy.

I even have one of my friend's grandparents contacting everyone freaking out that i'm a "sacrificial dark lord of Hell" or some shit. Seriously. Chill.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconfranken-jewels:
Franken-Jewels Dec 9, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
Your art is amazing. And anyone who knows anything about gothic styles should know they incorporate religious AND death-related imagery. :p
:iconkitty-luvs-noms:
kitty-luvs-noms Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Even as a Christian, it bugs me when people do stuff like that. Religion and art are two separate things unless its art that's specifically about religion. Don't let these people bug you too much, you're art is beautiful no matter the influence or what people say.
:iconemotionalone98:
EmotionalOne98 Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
It's one of those things that religion needs to stay out of, like goverment.
If it is a religious piece, ie, you were drawing Jesus or Satan or Jehovah or even Buddha, for a religious purpose, I can some what seeing people being "you know.. I don't believe in your religion but your piece of work is still pretty fucking amazing." but to just base something that doesn't have to do with religion, on your own religion doesn't make any sense to me...
If you were making a piece bashing Catholics or Satan Worshippers Or Wiccans, I can see getting pissed, same with it was with a race/gender/sexuality but..... I don't know..
Why are crosses and skulls and horns automatically assumed to be religion... All the girls at my school with the cheetah print cross shirt or the girls with the skull leggings aren't considered overly religious...

I don't get people at all... ._. I think I'ma just stay being anti social.
:iconorangekrissy:
OrangeKrissy Nov 27, 2012
I drew a man in a white robe with a pointed hood one time and my black teacher kicked me out of class. But I don't believe in the KKK, the robe was just art to me. Really?
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"sacrificial dark lord of Hell"

:lmao:

At that point you know you can't reason with that kind of drop dead stupid. I'd just play along with it. "I'm going down to the abortion store now for my daily fix and on the way home I was thinking of picking up a gay to sacrifice to the satan lord. Need anything while I'm down there?"
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Nov 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
testing to see if it's a plz.

:iconnowthatswhaticalledgyplz:
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Nov 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
no? fuck.
:iconhookfu:
Hookfu Nov 26, 2012
A friend of mine told me something not long ago and it is true… Where people look for God (religion) they will find it in everything. And where people look for Satan, they will see him in everything.

I choose to see art in everything… and you know what… I find it.

Love your work!
:iconbloodyflowerrose:
bloodyflowerrose Nov 26, 2012  Student Traditional Artist
but i love your art its so unique and creative :love:
:iconzombiecakez:
zombiecakez Nov 24, 2012  Student General Artist
Well I for one love your art
Add a Comment: