Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

I'm in my third year of HS...

:iconkynero:
kynero Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Digital Artist
And I've run into greater issues than I had before 2 years art; specifically art wise.

I've been under stress; a lot of stress being in this IB program and it's been conflicting with my art life tremendously;....more than I thought.

I'm not struggling much in school; I'm struggling to balance doing art to ventilate and still work on assignments...etc.

I don't have a choice to drop out this program...I've been drawing less than 10 hours a week when on a good day I can only draw for 3 hours. I hesitate to work on my WIPs.

I don't feel like doing art for me is over; it just hurts not being able to usually do the things I used to do as well as contributing to art block; and it feels like a part of you is always missing...

Are any of you going under stress with similar scenarios like this? How do you deal with it? I'm dying to know.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrockygems:
RockyGems Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Student General Artist
To quote Marge Simpson, "Part of growing up is giving up everything that makes you happy."
:iconpinkmitten:
Pinkmitten Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
Sure.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been drawing less than 10 hours a week when on a good day I can only draw for 3 hours

Well FUCK YOU SIR and have a nice day :)

Pfft. IB.
:iconknightster:
Knightster Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
10 hours? Bitch please you've got double the free time of me!
You know nothing about stress :meow:
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why would you join an IB program if you have other priorities? It's time to ask yourself what your topmost priority is. If it's art, or if it's getting good results for your IB in order to study in an overseas university.

but seriously 10 hours a week is like so long, i've never gotten to draw that much during school, it's only during school holidays that i draw like 6 hours a day or something.
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
>High School

>Stressed

:iconlaughsplz:
:iconvanibun:
VaniBun Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
About three IB students committed suicide the week before their final tests and three weeks before graduation from my school. A friend of mine would take pills to keep up and study. Honestly, I think the IB program screwed many of my friends. I was in the Pre-IB program my ninth grade. My GPA was wrecked before I even started the tougher classes.

What grade are you in? My friend is a senior and he dropped the program quite easily. All he had to do was get the Head of the IB Program department to sign it, and he was back in AP classes.

Unless you plan on going to international art schools, IB is probably not the program for you, because while it's interesting to see it on a person's resume and it does train you for the workload in college, if it drives you to do drugs or stress like mad, just drop it. It's not worth it. AP is better, and I like my AP Art class better then my IB Art course.

If you're serious about going into art as a profession, you're going have to realize that you're going to have way more stress. This is a profession you're going to fight tooth and nail for. It's a tough field to get into a good art school, and it's a tough field to find work. Gotta be ready to lose sleep to do work, and have less time to draw what you want to draw. What profession do you want to go into with art? Some are WAY more competitive than others. If your school offers the VAC program, or an AP Studio class, take it. Both are college level courses and they train you to produce art faster at better quality. They stress you out, but if you really are serious about going into art as a career, these do really help.

is an example of the kind of quality of work they get you to produce. Can you handle it? Gotta keep up with the demand. Can't wait for time, gotta make time. Even if it means skipping out on sleep, or having a social life.

You've got to be prepared for a huge workload, in either direction. IB slams you hard and fast, while in art you gotta climb to the top. Don't sit there and stare at a blank paper for hours. That will just frustrate you more. Stop, walk away, get some food and maybe later you'll get a fresher idea. Stressing yourself out to draw isn't going to help at all. Mindless doodles may inspire something better.

Also, you put in the WRONG-est forum ever. HWL was probably what you were looking for... And you missed the turnoff.
:iconarteeste:
arteeste Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012
'About' three? :unimpressed:
VaniBun Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
During the school day? A high school day is 6 hours. So half the school day is three hours. Of course they work outside of class, but half their school day is dedicated to art.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that, but I'm not so sure what you mean by "three".
:iconarteeste:
arteeste Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012
No. You said 'About three IB students committed suicide'. Surely you'd know the exact number.
VaniBun Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Damn, thought I erased that.
:icondoctorowl:
DoctorOWL Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I did the IB program for a while and the art classes were ridiculous. They give you no flexibility and expect you to do an insane amount of work with art each week without considering your other classes. It's actually MORE work than college, in my experience. I dropped out of the program and went to an early college program instead, and not only was it easier but I graduated before my IB friends did. I would consider quitting the program because an IB diploma is not accepted everywhere and it's only really supposed to show that you did a buttload of work in highschool and make you look better to colleges but it's really unnecessary.
:iconnephenee:
Nephenee Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
:shrug: Eh, I got used to the massive amounts of studying.
:iconp-ish:
P-Ish Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012   Writer
I'm really hungry, but I'm too lazy to get up. Woe is me.
:iconcopaceticchaos:
CopaceticChaos Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Student General Artist
Why are you in the IB academey if you weren't prepared for the workload? Just be in AP or just be a lazy fuck like me and be in on-level. I also do summer school for credits and extra slots for electives.

There's plently of options for you.
:iconmisterturtle:
MisterTurtle Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I'm also a high school junior, and I'm just gliding through this year. Take things as they come.
:iconredmarlin:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
Bit of advice: drop the IB bullshit. It means nothing. Nothing. It's just something high schools are doing to make themselves look good. Focus more on AP classes instead of IB art. Take the tests, get the college credits so you can skip math class in college and take an art class that will be more sophisticated than anything offered in high school. Make AP classes your focus for high school, focus more on art in college. Doesn't mean you can't take art classes (I certainly did), but don't worry about IB level.
:iconthequeenofcrows:
TheQueenOfCrows Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I share your problem. I'm a sophomore, and it seems now I don't have enough time to do what I love (isn't school supposed to help us reach our goals?). I draw a lot on homework assignments and be as artistic as possible with everything school-like I do to keep myself busy. I also carry around a sketchbook and fill it with the nonsense in my head, along with colored pencils, ink, and calligraphy pens. I also keep to the back of classes so it looks like I'm working when I'm really doodling. But I also want to pass my classes and do well, so for the classes I know I need all eyes up in, I keep my art away, but otherwise I'm making purty colors. I also have a busy home life for the most part, and it seems like when I do get good time, I have no inspiration.
:iconrainnnbow:
rainnnbow Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
i automatically read HS as homestuck and it completely changed the view of this complaint wow
:iconhappyduckcreator:
HappyDuckCreator Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I draw something every day. :shrug: Sometimes it's a doodle, sometimes it's a digital piece and sometimes it's an actual piece of work. You gotta force yourself into the habit, you know?
:icon290pika:
290Pika Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
Psst, you probably might wanna get this moved to HWL. We like to be assholes here (but we usually mean less offense than it seems, unless the OP legitimately deserves it xD).

Sometimes you just have to push through crappy classes. I took a bunch of AP classes in high school and I've taken 20 units the past two semesters (which, a few of my 1-unit classes actually take up 7 hours a week...), so I know how you feel. I'm guessing your winter break is coming up in about a month, so if you can just push through the boring ass school work and don't stress too much about getting your art done, you might be less stressed?
:icondivine--apathia:
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I laugh when I hear that high school students are stressed.
:iconartisticaxis:
ArtisticAxis Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I laugh quite hard as well
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
I agree, to some degree.
College is a different kind of stress, imho.
But that could be because in high school I was too busy being a socially awkward idiot.:lol:
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
To be fair, I'm in college now, and I find it significantly less stressful than high school.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
I'll assume it's because you're either studying something you like, or because of social/environmental causes, right?

Not because the work load has lightened?
redmarlin Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
True. The work load is a bit more, but I enjoy working on an art project all night instead of doing psychology homework all night.
:iconsbkmulletman:
sbkMulletMan Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
The real world is going to just chew them up.

But it's so fun watching a child's mind gradually shatter as the weight of reality slowly crushes them as they continue to age, completely unprepared for what waits for them.
"watching a child's mind gradually shatter as the weight of reality slowly crushes them as they continue to age, completely unprepared for what waits for them."

that was almost poetic
:iconajglass:
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
The real world is going to just chew them up.

Maybe, sometimes it's actually easier in the real world than in high school or college.

Plus there's always the fact that in the real world you're getting paid to do the work as apposed to getting what often seems like nothing for it in high school or having to pay to do the work in college.

I tend to enjoy myself more when I'm actual getting something tangible in return for my efforts.

...but maybe that's just me. :shrug:
:icondorkface4:
dorkface4 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
That's why you have to think of the reward at the END of school and college: the slightly increased chances of getting a job.
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
the slightly increased chances of getting a job

Emphasis on "slightly" these days. :(
more like "most likely not" or "minimum wage"
AJGlass Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional Artisan Crafter
True. Especially if it's any degree other than one in engineering, certain hard sciences, or IT.
I'm more annoyed about the emphasis on trades (in my country) where you work for 50 hours a week, receive very little benefits and the work itself is just awful. But the pay is very good. So at my college we have over 80 applicants for every trades job imaginable. So that means zero support for tech or design classes, or anything else really. There's nobody even hiring for these jobs, yet everyone swears by it. It's only going to get worse I suppose.
(1 Reply)
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Just some advice:

If you're going to get into art, get ready for more than 10 hours working on a project. If you think you can't handle turning art into a profession and would rather have it as a hobby, then I suggest not going to school for it. Because once you do and you don't like all the work you have to put into it, you're going to start to hate art if you don't have the passion for it professionally.

As for initial complaint, when you're doing art, give yourself breaks. Instead of 3 hours at a time, try one hour at a time and relax for as a long as you need to. Sometimes when you walk away from something that requires creative thought and take a break from it, it can help to recharge yourself by relaxing. You need to make time to relax too. It's when you don't make time to relax that you stress yourself out more.
No, I want to do art as a profession. I just feel at the moment all of these classes I'm taking is pushing it away from me and doing everything possible to say I can't do this. Ten hours and so of doing art projects is something I'd die to do than rather write papers and etc.

Yeah, I'll try to take sometime to relax and so forth. Thanks a lot.
divine--apathia Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Photographer
If the classes are pushing you away, then I doubt you'd be able to deal with college or work. I flew through my high school classes, but when I went into my photography course, I wasn't able to deal with the demand placed upon me.
I think I know where you're coming from. What you're describing is also what often happens when art goes from being a hobby to being a requirement. The same thing also often occurs when art goes from being a hobby to being a business (I'm talking from personal experience here).

What you have to do is pace yourself and relax, because forcing creativity rarely works.

Sometimes it's good to go do something else completely different for a while - like by taking a walk or playing a game. It lets your imagination take a breather and focus on something that doesn't require the same skill set. It can then be easier to come back and work on your art because you'll feel refreshed.

It can also be beneficial to expose yourself to other people's art, like by going to a museum or just sitting back and perusing your preferred gallery here on deviantART. So much of art is about exploring possibilities and it's amazing how when you look at someone else's art, you can suddenly get an idea to do something with your own art and suddenly your off creating awesome things with a real drive for it.

As well, I've personally found it to be very helpful to join up with other similar artists to talk about and share my art and even work on my art together with them. Doing so makes the art more of a social experience which can go a long way towards relieving stress. It can also give you more drive and determination to work on your art when you have an audience of other artists that you can show it to and get feedback from.

Further, it's good to make yourself some goals instead of more aimlessly trying to be creative. For instance for me, if I know that a show is coming up or that I'll be displaying my pieces on a certain day, then that motivates me more because there's an "end" date in sight. It also gives me more of a sense of accomplishment and also allows me to have a sense of completion before moving on to making and create more art.

Finally, it may help you to start creating art for a purpose other than yourself or school. I find that I become much more creative when I'm making art as a gift for someone. Or when I'm making art that will actually be displayed in my home or the homes of my friends and family. Or when I'm making art for a particular customer or important person instead of just for a show. This is because the art then has an actual specific purpose or application and that can be a big motivator towards being more creative. And of course, creativity often begets more creativity. So working on that art helps me with being more creative in my other art projects.

:)
Thanks for the calm advice; I'm going to try do some of these and hope it'll help get me over this situation. I know there's going to be more blocks yet to come but since it's coming to another turning point in my life and I'm making a decision what I'm going to do for a living etc.

Just thanks all over again.
You're welcome and I wish you much luck in getting through this. :)
:iconmurphysdinnerparty:
MurphysDinnerParty Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Being helpful? You're doing it wrong. :unimpressed:
Yeah I know. Usually I'm not this helpful here. :lol:
:iconpenhuin:
Penhuin Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I stopped reading at the title.
:iconarvellas:
Arvellas Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012
I'm a senior in college. I have five classes this semester (three or four per semester is the norm); two of them are on the 300 level and one is on the 400 level (where 100 is easiest and 400 is hardest).

The further you get in school, the less time you are going to have. Might as well get used to it. 10 hours a week for drawing? Some of us would kill for that.
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Featured By Owner Dec 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'ma use your comment to super-bump this thread ;)
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm a Junior in college and I'm taking 6 classes, all at the 300 level :B It's not that hard :slow:
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not all classes of the same level are the same difficulty. 6 classes is in a general a very heavy load. What are you majoring in?
:iconlegendarysuperman:
LegendarySuperman Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Game design :B
:iconcake-fiend:
cake-fiend Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Ok, well I have no idea what majoring in that is like, but my point is that it shouldn't be assumed that your work load is the same or more than someone else's based on number the number and level of classes.
Going "it's not that hard :slow:" makes you look like a pretentious douche.
Add a Comment: