Closed to new replies
November 17, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 75

I'm in my third year of HS...

:iconkynero:
kynero Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
And I've run into greater issues than I had before 2 years art; specifically art wise.

I've been under stress; a lot of stress being in this IB program and it's been conflicting with my art life tremendously;....more than I thought.

I'm not struggling much in school; I'm struggling to balance doing art to ventilate and still work on assignments...etc.

I don't have a choice to drop out this program...I've been drawing less than 10 hours a week when on a good day I can only draw for 3 hours. I hesitate to work on my WIPs.

I don't feel like doing art for me is over; it just hurts not being able to usually do the things I used to do as well as contributing to art block; and it feels like a part of you is always missing...

Are any of you going under stress with similar scenarios like this? How do you deal with it? I'm dying to know.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconrockygemscarly:
RockyGemsCarly Dec 18, 2012  Student General Artist
To quote Marge Simpson, "Part of growing up is giving up everything that makes you happy."
:icondavidscript:
DavidScript Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've been drawing less than 10 hours a week when on a good day I can only draw for 3 hours

Well FUCK YOU SIR and have a nice day :)

Pfft. IB.
:iconkightster:
10 hours? Bitch please you've got double the free time of me!
You know nothing about stress :meow:
:iconim-promptu:
im-promptu Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Why would you join an IB program if you have other priorities? It's time to ask yourself what your topmost priority is. If it's art, or if it's getting good results for your IB in order to study in an overseas university.

but seriously 10 hours a week is like so long, i've never gotten to draw that much during school, it's only during school holidays that i draw like 6 hours a day or something.
:iconmisterkhact:
MisterKhact Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
>High School

>Stressed

:iconlaughsplz:
:iconvanibun:
VaniBun Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
About three IB students committed suicide the week before their final tests and three weeks before graduation from my school. A friend of mine would take pills to keep up and study. Honestly, I think the IB program screwed many of my friends. I was in the Pre-IB program my ninth grade. My GPA was wrecked before I even started the tougher classes.

What grade are you in? My friend is a senior and he dropped the program quite easily. All he had to do was get the Head of the IB Program department to sign it, and he was back in AP classes.

Unless you plan on going to international art schools, IB is probably not the program for you, because while it's interesting to see it on a person's resume and it does train you for the workload in college, if it drives you to do drugs or stress like mad, just drop it. It's not worth it. AP is better, and I like my AP Art class better then my IB Art course.

If you're serious about going into art as a profession, you're going have to realize that you're going to have way more stress. This is a profession you're going to fight tooth and nail for. It's a tough field to get into a good art school, and it's a tough field to find work. Gotta be ready to lose sleep to do work, and have less time to draw what you want to draw. What profession do you want to go into with art? Some are WAY more competitive than others. If your school offers the VAC program, or an AP Studio class, take it. Both are college level courses and they train you to produce art faster at better quality. They stress you out, but if you really are serious about going into art as a career, these do really help.

is an example of the kind of quality of work they get you to produce. Can you handle it? Gotta keep up with the demand. Can't wait for time, gotta make time. Even if it means skipping out on sleep, or having a social life.

You've got to be prepared for a huge workload, in either direction. IB slams you hard and fast, while in art you gotta climb to the top. Don't sit there and stare at a blank paper for hours. That will just frustrate you more. Stop, walk away, get some food and maybe later you'll get a fresher idea. Stressing yourself out to draw isn't going to help at all. Mindless doodles may inspire something better.

Also, you put in the WRONG-est forum ever. HWL was probably what you were looking for... And you missed the turnoff.
:iconarteeste:
'About' three? :unimpressed:
:iconvanibun:
VaniBun Nov 19, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
During the school day? A high school day is 6 hours. So half the school day is three hours. Of course they work outside of class, but half their school day is dedicated to art.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that, but I'm not so sure what you mean by "three".
:iconarteeste:
No. You said 'About three IB students committed suicide'. Surely you'd know the exact number.
Add a Comment: