Jake the Dog

The first time I watched Adventure Time, this canine spooked the hell out of me. I'm sorry, but...those eyes....0.0
Also, the character is pretty boring. I guess I understand that Jake is just supposed to be Finn's companion like a dog should. But couldn't they at least give him more personality?? Hell, my dog bit me twice today! That's more conflict between man and dog than I've ever seen in Adventure Time. And I should mention the voice actor. (sigh)...John Dimaggio isn't one of my favorite voice actors because, honestly, all the voices he does sound almost the same (when compared to other voice actors). But he can change size, and that's pretty cool. But I think that aspect creates a lot of plotholes.
Comments160
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
:iconmapper3::She likes Jake because she can change size... Doc?
:icondocbrownplz::Eh?
:iconmapper3::She likes Jake the Do-
:icongreatscottplz::GREAT SCOTT! She doesn't like John DiMaggio?
:iconmapper3::What? Well, yeah, bu-
:icongreatscottplz::Kill her!
Ha.."she". I like the sound of that. ;)
I think I was Jake the dog once...
he reminds me of a child molester. :D
I like cake the cat. :la:
Hey.
You.
Hey.
John DiMaggio did a really good job voicing The Joker in Under the Red Hood.
I was being a little hard on Dimaggio. He's a decent, VERY prolific voice actor.
So long as he stays not quite as prolific as Steve Blum, I'll be happy. I love Steve Blum but... He's everyone. By now, his voice bothers me.
i love the fuck out of Adventure Time. The back story is compelling as fuck, the characters are unique, and each episode is hard to predict. The thing that gets me the most though is how all the characters are getting more complex and serious. (much "d'aaawwwws" were to be had with Ice King helping kid Marcy back when the world was ending. Much "b'aawwws" when you realized that Ice King knew he would eventually forget and go crazy, and wrote a poem that, 1000 years later, was sung by the girl he didn't want to forget.)
They still don't have a proper narrative story-arc involving magic and kickassery. :grump:

I think the reason why I hold so much resentment for Adventure Time is because Finn is an OP little shit who manages to punch things with noodle arms and still win.

NOODLE ARMS AND PUNCHING A HERO DOES NOT MAKE.
Finn's not that OP. he's been bested before.

Jake, on the other hand, is OP as fuck.

also, define a 'proper' narrative story-arc.
he killed a fucking Lich King by using his noodle arms to choke it out with a sweater. If that isn't OP, I don't know what is.

Yeah, Jake is also OP. But I can understand that, as he's sort of like Finn's mentor and advisor in things. A type of big brother relationship.

By that I mean not making a shitty joke out of a wicked-awesome character backstory (Ice King).
actually, i kinda like what they did with the Ice King's character. He's not a woobie ( [link] ) who's only there to feel bad for him. He's a dynamic, insane character who is able to have his stupid and hilarious moments and have such a tragic backstory. It's less making the Ice King a shitty joke, and more about making him real. (because real people aren't just funny or tragic, and never both at varying occasions)

and his insanity not only allows for him to be so weird and ridiculous while suspending disbelief, but also adds to the tragedy; the madness-inducing effects of the crown is the only thing keeping him alive, and he's lost his own identity as a result of possessing it.
I guess that's true, but his backstory I don't see so much as a tragedy as much as an explanation that could go a step farther. They ended Ice King the character and all his dynamic aspects in the backstory. They then retained the static character we all know and love and gave no hope to making him change or have relapses or moments of clarity- it would have been amazing to see Ice King have a single moment where he sees the tape and his expression says "I remember now", but then it quickly goes away and he returns to "normal" Ice King.

He has a beautiful backstory, but I think that the character could have had even more done with him, and instead of doing that, Ice King has an explanation instead of a build-up.
eh, sudden revelations are a bit too common in stories revolving around lost memories. and besides, the series isn't over yet; we're probably going to be seeing more of Ice King's past (and possibly even see some changes in Ice King himself) really soon.

the writers are doing a good thing too; taking your time with character development and letting it happen slowly allows for both a longer running of the show and more realism for the character. (no-one changes from one day to another so dramatically and so quickly, and revelations aren't as sudden and common as people would like to think.)
View all replies
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. XD I watch AT every now and then. Just when I'm alone and I have control over the tv. That way nobody can catch me, a twenty four year old, watching cartoons. When I do, Jake just....unnerves me. I think you're right. Its his damn eyes. The lack of a personality doesn't help. It just makes those eyes that much more creepy. He's like a dog version of a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. Not much personality, but a whole hell of a lot of special powers and abilities.
He plays an instrument.
Dates a rainbow unicorn.
And can morph.

...That's instant win for me.
My dog loves butter. Jake should adopt an unending love for butter.:la:
There was probably butter somewhere in the Everything Burrito.
Guys stop fighting
He's just a cartoon character.
He has a personality. He's just not extreme, and he really loves sandwiches, pizza, and ice cream. :heart:
Umm, so do most dogs. That really isn't saying much.