Closed to new replies
November 14, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 159

Jake the Dog

:iconturkevulture:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2012
The first time I watched Adventure Time, this canine spooked the hell out of me. I'm sorry, but...those eyes....0.0
Also, the character is pretty boring. I guess I understand that Jake is just supposed to be Finn's companion like a dog should. But couldn't they at least give him more personality?? Hell, my dog bit me twice today! That's more conflict between man and dog than I've ever seen in Adventure Time. And I should mention the voice actor. (sigh)...John Dimaggio isn't one of my favorite voice actors because, honestly, all the voices he does sound almost the same (when compared to other voice actors). But he can change size, and that's pretty cool. But I think that aspect creates a lot of plotholes.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmapper3:
mapper3 Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student General Artist
:iconmapper3::She likes Jake because she can change size... Doc?
:icondocbrownplz::Eh?
:iconmapper3::She likes Jake the Do-
:icongreatscottplz::GREAT SCOTT! She doesn't like John DiMaggio?
:iconmapper3::What? Well, yeah, bu-
:icongreatscottplz::Kill her!
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012
Ha.."she". I like the sound of that. ;)
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012   Digital Artist
I think I was Jake the dog once...
:icontheoriginalnunky:
TheOriginalNunky Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
he reminds me of a child molester. :D
Pedodog?
:iconsnow-in-wonderland:
Snow-in-Wonderland Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012
I like cake the cat. :la:
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
Hey.
You.
Hey.
John DiMaggio did a really good job voicing The Joker in Under the Red Hood.
I was being a little hard on Dimaggio. He's a decent, VERY prolific voice actor.
:iconvanhir:
Vanhir Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Hobbyist Writer
So long as he stays not quite as prolific as Steve Blum, I'll be happy. I love Steve Blum but... He's everyone. By now, his voice bothers me.
:iconvelvetfish:
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
i love the fuck out of Adventure Time. The back story is compelling as fuck, the characters are unique, and each episode is hard to predict. The thing that gets me the most though is how all the characters are getting more complex and serious. (much "d'aaawwwws" were to be had with Ice King helping kid Marcy back when the world was ending. Much "b'aawwws" when you realized that Ice King knew he would eventually forget and go crazy, and wrote a poem that, 1000 years later, was sung by the girl he didn't want to forget.)
:iconninjaslug:
Ninjaslug Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
They still don't have a proper narrative story-arc involving magic and kickassery. :grump:

I think the reason why I hold so much resentment for Adventure Time is because Finn is an OP little shit who manages to punch things with noodle arms and still win.

NOODLE ARMS AND PUNCHING A HERO DOES NOT MAKE.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Student Filmographer
Finn's not that OP. he's been bested before.

Jake, on the other hand, is OP as fuck.

also, define a 'proper' narrative story-arc.
Ninjaslug Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
he killed a fucking Lich King by using his noodle arms to choke it out with a sweater. If that isn't OP, I don't know what is.

Yeah, Jake is also OP. But I can understand that, as he's sort of like Finn's mentor and advisor in things. A type of big brother relationship.

By that I mean not making a shitty joke out of a wicked-awesome character backstory (Ice King).
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Student Filmographer
actually, i kinda like what they did with the Ice King's character. He's not a woobie ( [link] ) who's only there to feel bad for him. He's a dynamic, insane character who is able to have his stupid and hilarious moments and have such a tragic backstory. It's less making the Ice King a shitty joke, and more about making him real. (because real people aren't just funny or tragic, and never both at varying occasions)

and his insanity not only allows for him to be so weird and ridiculous while suspending disbelief, but also adds to the tragedy; the madness-inducing effects of the crown is the only thing keeping him alive, and he's lost his own identity as a result of possessing it.
Ninjaslug Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I guess that's true, but his backstory I don't see so much as a tragedy as much as an explanation that could go a step farther. They ended Ice King the character and all his dynamic aspects in the backstory. They then retained the static character we all know and love and gave no hope to making him change or have relapses or moments of clarity- it would have been amazing to see Ice King have a single moment where he sees the tape and his expression says "I remember now", but then it quickly goes away and he returns to "normal" Ice King.

He has a beautiful backstory, but I think that the character could have had even more done with him, and instead of doing that, Ice King has an explanation instead of a build-up.
VelvetFish Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Student Filmographer
eh, sudden revelations are a bit too common in stories revolving around lost memories. and besides, the series isn't over yet; we're probably going to be seeing more of Ice King's past (and possibly even see some changes in Ice King himself) really soon.

the writers are doing a good thing too; taking your time with character development and letting it happen slowly allows for both a longer running of the show and more realism for the character. (no-one changes from one day to another so dramatically and so quickly, and revelations aren't as sudden and common as people would like to think.)
Ninjaslug Featured By Owner Nov 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Not revelations, but moments of clarity I mean. Ice King is a good character to have be static, but not to stagnate. Simple nuances towards that is all I really ask for.

Thankfully the Lich King story-arc isn't done with, so I hope that he'll kick Finn's ass until someone better comes along to remind Finn that he isn't the best hero in the land (yet).
(1 Reply)
:iconbabylonsabby:
BabylonSabby Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012  Student General Artist
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. XD I watch AT every now and then. Just when I'm alone and I have control over the tv. That way nobody can catch me, a twenty four year old, watching cartoons. When I do, Jake just....unnerves me. I think you're right. Its his damn eyes. The lack of a personality doesn't help. It just makes those eyes that much more creepy. He's like a dog version of a Mary Sue/Gary Stu. Not much personality, but a whole hell of a lot of special powers and abilities.
:iconbleunique:
bleunique Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
He plays an instrument.
Dates a rainbow unicorn.
And can morph.

...That's instant win for me.
:iconsolaces:
Solaces Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
My dog loves butter. Jake should adopt an unending love for butter.:la:
:iconcrimeroyale:
CrimeRoyale Featured By Owner Nov 27, 2012  Professional
There was probably butter somewhere in the Everything Burrito.
:iconaarfy:
Aarfy Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Guys stop fighting
:iconjak-the-lombax:
Jak-the-Lombax Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
He's just a cartoon character.
:iconexplodingapple:
explodingapple Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Hobbyist
He has a personality. He's just not extreme, and he really loves sandwiches, pizza, and ice cream. :heart:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
Umm, so do most dogs. That really isn't saying much.
:iconsapphire-ashesx:
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012
Wut.
:iconjakereactionplz:
See what I mean??
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
No, not at all.
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
Oh. So you like his design?
Sapphire-Ashesx Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2012
It's an okay design.
:iconmosobot64:
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 23, 2012  Student General Artist
Is he the most exciting character on the planet? Err..no. But then, Jake doesn't really have to be. He's obviously a mentor figure type, and anyway he's a more cheerful fellow than most mentor types I've seen. Pretty refreshing, actually.

And to be honest, first time I saw Jake's face, I found his eyes pretty freaky too. He grows on you though. :D
I agree, he IS cheerful usually. A nice change of pace, you're right. But still, WHY did they have to reverse the color of his eyes?? And why are they so damn big?? (As you've prbably guessed, I haven't warmed up to Jake's image at all.)
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
I think they're meant to represent beady dog eyes, but something went wrong in the design process there. :rofl:
TurkEvulture Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012
Yes. Something went TERRIBLY wrong. I mean...gah! Just look at those peepers!! :iconjakereactionplz:
mosobot64 Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2012  Student General Artist
:iconfinnfuuplz:
:iconhimteckerjam:
Himteckerjam Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
JAKE IS BOMBASTIC. SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
:iconwigglewaddle:
WiggleWaddle Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012
IS HE... MATHMATICAL?
:iconrendjur:
rendjur Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012
While I don't find myself laughing my guts out watching the show, I think it's cute and refreshing -- especially compared to a lot of cartoons/awesome Disney shows :P. I feel like it does take us back to some older cartoons (ones that I watched, at least). For example, Rocko's Modern Life, Ahh! Real Monsters, Rugrats, Angry Beavers.

I mean, just in the sense that these cartoons were more witty and not based purely on realistic morals. Of a few shows I've seen, they're always "Aww...don't run away again!" or "OH STEVE.....*insert laugh track*". I just want something purely random and slightly unrealistic.

Any way, that's just me. I think it partially has to do with the fact I watch a lot of dramas, too, thus why I think Adventure Time is fun :P.
:iconkaelikescheesecake:
KaeLikesCheesecake Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
The episode "Ocean of Fear" surprised me with finn's face :iconfinnfuuplz:
Good lord!
For how many seconds do they show that beautiful expression?
KaeLikesCheesecake Featured By Owner Dec 8, 2012  Student General Artist
probably every second XD
:iconsauti-alamisi:
Sauti-Alamisi Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I find it kinda funny. But creepy at the same time. :lol:
KaeLikesCheesecake Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
lol yeah. Actually I loled hard at that part. His face at the same time also freaked me out XD
:iconhimteckerjam:
Himteckerjam Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2012  Professional General Artist
I lost my shit at that part. I was really, really baked, though.
KaeLikesCheesecake Featured By Owner Nov 19, 2012  Student General Artist
lol my brother almost died laughing at that part.
:iconmaltese101:
maltese101 Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
Jake has no personality?

:stare: I don't want to live in this planet anymore.
:iconoh-cherie-cherie:
Oh-Cherie-Cherie Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student General Artist
Jake has so much personality! Are you kidding me! Gosh!
:iconrandomrobskii:
RandomRobskii Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2012  Student Filmographer
Am I the only one that prefers Regular Show to Adventure Time?
I like Regular show, just not as much as Adventure Time. I think Regular Show has some really, really funny episodes, and also has episodes that are as fun as watching paint dry. Adventure Time is consistently good.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I can't stand either one. I love your sig, though.
Add a Comment: